WTB: Period correct worm gear steering assembly

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Classifieds: WTB: Period correct worm gear steering assembly
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom F on Wednesday, May 30, 2018 - 08:13 am:

Looking for a worm gear steering set-up for my speedster project. Needs to be period correct for the car (pre-1926). Let me know what you guys have

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Layden Butler on Wednesday, May 30, 2018 - 04:51 pm:

Worm gear that acts across the frame like stock T pitman arm does, same size ball as Model T, with mounting bracket that allows steering column angle to be adjusted.

a

b

oo

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Grisbee---Cheyenne Wyo on Thursday, May 31, 2018 - 12:20 am:

Hi Tom,I have this column,original application unknown. It looked like it might work in a T speedster so I kept it. A bit rusty inside but should be savable. Would need a cover made with set screw and locknut. Had some form of locking fatman. Dave Huson had a nice fatman wheel with wrong center I thought might fit this a year ago when I was down there but he didn't want to sell it. Maybe now. Layden's probably the better bet but $145 shipping included if interested. picturepicturepicturepicture

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Pharis on Thursday, May 31, 2018 - 07:44 pm:

Are you looking for an original Ford accessory? Like a Sprague or Ross? Or just an early box that can be retrofitted to fit your car?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By JOHN BEVARDOS on Thursday, May 31, 2018 - 09:05 pm:

Wasn't someone going to start making these?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom F on Friday, June 01, 2018 - 01:03 pm:

Ideally looking for an original accessory column but as long as it works, Iím flexible.

Thanks Steve. I think there are too many unknowns on that one for me so Iíll have to pass.

Just emailed you Layden

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian Sullivan, Powell WY on Friday, June 01, 2018 - 01:45 pm:

Steve, I believe I have the cover and set screw assembly for that box. Please PM me the center to center dimensions for the bolt holes

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter McIntyre on Friday, June 01, 2018 - 04:10 pm:

Download
Tom buy Laydens 490 Chev steering box and use a cross member like this to install
See my speedster in my profile
Cheers from a fellow Ontarian.
Pete

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration