Borg-Warner Overdrive Kit for Model T

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Classifieds: Borg-Warner Overdrive Kit for Model T
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Matt Lindberg on Tuesday, June 05, 2018 - 01:44 pm:

I believe this kit is brand new and has never been installed on a car. I bought it from an estate sale so I don't have much info on it but looking it over I see no wear or sign of installation. There is some rust on the solenoid and the spacer but it should clean up just fine. $1200/B.O.
Call or text 320-223-1914 if interested

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Matt Lindberg on Tuesday, June 05, 2018 - 01:45 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Matt Lindberg on Tuesday, June 05, 2018 - 01:49 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Rogers - South of the Adirondacks NY on Tuesday, June 05, 2018 - 02:59 pm:

I'm interested but are you sure it's an overdrive unit?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Matt Lindberg on Tuesday, June 05, 2018 - 03:46 pm:

Please correct me if I am wrong, I am just going off of what others have told me. This is not my area of expertise.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Matt Lindberg on Tuesday, June 05, 2018 - 11:38 pm:

I really have no idea what this Kit is worth so I am open to offers. I see that a model A one sold for $1850 so that is what I based my price on. I am open to offers.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Richmon - Richmond, VA on Wednesday, June 06, 2018 - 06:57 am:

You are correct that it's an BW overdrive, I run one in my speedster.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Seress, Prescott Az. on Wednesday, June 06, 2018 - 12:50 pm:

How does it shift? Is it one up and one down from Henry's? With rods like a ruckstell or some sort of electric motor like what is in the picture. Frank

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Wednesday, June 06, 2018 - 10:20 pm:

Frank,

The Borg Warner Overdrive in my 1931 Model A Ford looks similar. It uses a 6 volt solenoid that looks the same as the one in the photos above. The solenoid installs on the side of the overdrive. When it is not energized with electricity, the overdrive is direct drive. When it is energized (switch mounted on the steering column on my car) the overdrive is engaged. For mine it is about 1/3 rd overdrive (kinda of steep) so 45mph on the speedometer is 60mph. Mine does not have an underdrive. What I was told is that several makes of cars used the Borg Warner overdrives at different times. For example in 1949ish my Dad obtained a new unit from the Chevy dealer for his 1942 Chevy. That one was shifted by a combination of pulling a knob and then letting off the gas and a vacuum cylinder shifted the overdrive.

I was told the Ramblers from the 50s and 60s were often donors for the overdrive like the one in my car, because it was easy to remove from the back of the Rambler transmission and to make adapter plates for the drive shaft to bolt it in. And they were inexpensive to obtain at the time.

You cannot back up while it is in overdrive. It should have a cut out to turn it off or you need to remember not to back up.

That's all from memory and from last century....

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Wednesday, June 06, 2018 - 10:21 pm:

I forgot that on our Model A we pull a cable first and then flip the switch for the overdrive.

Hap

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Matt Lindberg on Thursday, June 07, 2018 - 08:56 am:

Sale is pending on the BW overdrive. Thanks for all the interest, and thanks to the great moderators of this forum!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Doris, AZ on Thursday, June 07, 2018 - 12:10 pm:

Studebakers of the 50s and early 60s utilized the Borg Warner overdrive as well.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration