Transportation recommendations needed

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Classifieds: Transportation recommendations needed
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Wetherbee - Downeast Maine on Wednesday, June 13, 2018 - 08:11 am:

I am looking at a car in Livonia NY (south of Rochester) and am looking for transport suggestions to move it to Sneads Ferry NC (near Camp Lejeune USMC base) if I wind up buying it. Itís a big car, 132Ē wheelbase 7 passenger sedan, not another T.

I know Freighter Jim is on here all the time, but I donít think this is near him at the time. Looking at moving maybe a week after the 4th of July.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By FreighTer Jim on Wednesday, June 13, 2018 - 09:02 am:

Mark,

I am attending the MTFCA National Tour in Richmond.

Right now I am on my way to California with a full load
( two cars ).

Sounds like you have not pulled the trigger on this yet.

That is not enough notice to build a trip ......

This is the height of the hauling season ....

Expect to wait (4) to (6) weeks for pick up.

FJ

Winner - Best In Class - 2018 Amelia Island Concours DíElegance

1906 Model K

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Wetherbee - Downeast Maine on Wednesday, June 13, 2018 - 09:12 am:

Thank you Jim, I havenít bought but I need to know what the shipping cost would be so I can make a fair offer and still afford it to be moved.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By FreighTer Jim on Wednesday, June 13, 2018 - 09:16 am:

Mark,

Give me a call when you have time.

FJ
260-804-6695

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Rice on Wednesday, June 13, 2018 - 10:09 am:

Hi Mark,
Another very solid and dependable option for you. Call Bill Squires at Bill's Auto Works. He is located in North-East, Ohio and does nationwide vehicle transport, with either open or closed trailers.

If you call Bill, he will answer the phone and you will have an accurate transportation quote, as well as an estimated schedule within 5 minutes...Bill really is just that good. I can tell you that because Bill just delivered a Lincoln to me on Monday this week. Bill picked it up in the North East and delivered it my house in Tennessee. Perfect communication, safely delivered and he was actually one hour ahead of the confirmed schedule. He will also be picking up and delivering a 1959 Edsel for me in the near future.

Bill can be reached at (216)832-8697
billsautoworks1@aol.com

Hope this helps and have a great day!

Kind Regards,
Rick Rice

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Mc Willie on Wednesday, June 13, 2018 - 10:13 am:

I use Intercity Lines. Enclosed transport, lift gate loading, FULLY INSURED, fast service ,quality drivers and tracking. They quote one price and there are no additional or hidden fees. Since they are based out of the northeast, they can likely get the vehicle quickly.

http://www.intercitylines.com/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Hylen- Central Minnesota on Wednesday, June 13, 2018 - 11:41 am:

I see three options.:
1- Move it yourself with owned or rented equipment.
2- Hire a cowboy. These are identified by internet posted ads and having no business address or DOT number. They donít follow interstate transportation laws and cannot be trusted to have your car covered in the event of a loss. They often use consumer-grade equipment that they repair in parking lots. While they pretend to be pros, paying them to haul your precious cargo, is really no different than hiring a stranger that you flag down at a gas station parking lot.
3- Hire a pro like http://www.parkwayautotransport.com/home or another reputable carrier. They likely will cost more than a cowboy, but youíll be able to sleep well, knowing that your car will be safely transported. Pros use DOT inspected equipment and drivers are trained, medically cleared and adhere to strict duty hours.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Mc Willie on Wednesday, June 13, 2018 - 01:13 pm:

Eric has nit the nail on the head.

The transport company's that have given me the best service include Intercity Lines, Passport and Reliable.

The "cowboys" have caused grief and aggravation.

At the end of the day, the price difference between the professional companies and the "cowboys" is very minimal.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob McDaniel Indiana Truck Logansport In on Wednesday, June 13, 2018 - 07:00 pm:

You should be able to get it moved for about $1.25/ mile and if they want to charge for unloaded miles don't even consider them, they are crooks. You should be able to figure about what it will cost by how many miles you need to move it. I had quotes from $700 to $1400+ to move a car 700 miles and to move another one 2100 miles quotes from $2100 to over $4500! Guess who hauled the 2100 mile car for me, Bill Squires. Very dependable and reasonable.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas on Wednesday, June 13, 2018 - 07:18 pm:

This may be off topic but I've heard of people in the past renting a U-haul box truck. I'm sure it's not technically allowed and who knows what insurance issues would arise but I'd be curious how it's done or how simple it may be. Has anyone actually tried this?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cliff Colee on Wednesday, June 13, 2018 - 09:54 pm:

Try Road Runner. They hauled Popeye from Dallas to Wash DC for $1,500. Fully licensed, bonded, etc. Great door to door service in an enclosed trailer. Be sure to specify enclosed transport...

Car got to me a day earlier than promised.

Cliff

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nevada Bob Middleton on Wednesday, June 13, 2018 - 10:52 pm:

Having me Jim and seen his rig first hand highly recomend him
But as a second choice is " easy car move"
Search online get there single car personal door to door service i had several car shipped by them with good results

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scot Taylor on Wednesday, June 13, 2018 - 11:34 pm:

Highly Recommend Bill Squires at Bill's Auto Works

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kim Dobbins on Thursday, June 14, 2018 - 03:32 am:

I have used intercity, reliable and freighter Jim. All of them gave me good service. The last car I had hauled was a model K Ford, there were circumstances that made the pickup of the car very difficult, I'm glad I had Jim do it. I believe he was the only one that would have put in all the extra time and effort at no extra charge.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Hylen- Central Minnesota on Thursday, June 14, 2018 - 04:38 am:

Thomas, we had a 2-cylinder Maxwell show up at the NLNB tour last year in a U-Haul box truck. They drove the truck from New York to Minnesota without any trouble. The owner did report that loading and unloading was a bit tricky.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By FreighTer Jim on Thursday, June 14, 2018 - 08:12 am:

KDís comments were not compensated for in any manner - including ( but not limited to ) Marionberry Pie ....í

FJ

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kim Dobbins on Thursday, June 14, 2018 - 09:08 am:

Sure was good pie!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Wetherbee - Downeast Maine on Thursday, June 14, 2018 - 04:57 pm:

I want to apologize to everyone who replied here, seems that when a dealer gives you a price that you accept that would seal the deal right? Not in New York! Seems that the dealer was still looking for better offers after giving me the price and I wound up wasting a few hours looking for transport before I called him to arrange payment and paperwork only to hear that the car was sold for more money!!!

If anyone else is looking at Pierce Arrow cars in Livonia New York you better watch your back an not get screwed over by Mike.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration