Wanted: longest tapered leaf for front spring.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Classifieds: Wanted: longest tapered leaf for front spring.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Greg Griffin in Brea, CA on Thursday, June 21, 2018 - 05:53 pm:

If the main leaf (with rolled ends for shackles) is leaf #1, then I'm looking for leaf #2; the approx. 33" leaf for a tapered front spring.

Have clipped-end spring leaf to trade ha ha. Thanks

gregagriffin at yahoodotcom.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andrew Brand on Thursday, June 21, 2018 - 06:59 pm:

Hi Greg.

Most, if not all, tapered leaf front springs had a clipped-end (ie: non tapered) second leaf. What you have may be correct.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Friday, June 22, 2018 - 12:17 am:

Greg, Andrew is correct for our Canadian sourced cars. The clipped ends may have slightly smaller clipped pieces, and the leaf may be just a little thinner at the end, but it is not tapered like the rest. US production may be different.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Greg Griffin in Brea, CA on Saturday, June 23, 2018 - 07:27 pm:

Thanks guys, I'll follow up on that lead.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Saturday, June 23, 2018 - 08:40 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Sunday, June 24, 2018 - 10:47 am:

Most are not clipped, but square like the photo above. Interesting wishbone.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harris, Huntington Beach California on Monday, June 25, 2018 - 07:28 pm:

Greg: I took photos of my 15 & my former 13 front springs... both square:
15 1915

13 1913

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Monday, June 25, 2018 - 11:50 pm:

And Bill, both clipped a bit smaller than the later springs.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Tuesday, June 26, 2018 - 05:19 pm:

Greg:
I have a pile of front spring leafs. I'm pretty sure they all have the clipped ends if that is ok. Free to you if you want to pick up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Greg Griffin in Brea, CA on Wednesday, June 27, 2018 - 05:26 pm:

Thanks to all; Larry that is quite a generous offer, but it looks like the spring leaf I have is correct after all. I thought someone replaced it with a later leaf, but it appears that leaf was always squared-off (and load-wise, that makes sense). Thank you all for the photos and education. This is what I enjoy about this forum.

Greg

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration