Brake light on 1924 Touring?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Classifieds: Brake light on 1924 Touring?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Emering on Sunday, June 24, 2018 - 06:53 pm:

My car is going to get the hell driven out of it!
Right now, I only have a tail light, but really think for safety sake, I should add a brake light.
I don't think the car came from the factory with a brake light. Am I correct?
I also don't think that a brake light was an option.
Did most original owners add an aftermarket brake light?
Is there an after market combination tail/brake light?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Sunday, June 24, 2018 - 07:10 pm:

Not till 1926/27 could you buy a brake/tail light combination from Ford. You might want to repost this on the forum. You might get more replies. In the mean time google "mtfca; 1926 brake light"
In our T club it is almost mandatory to have a brake light along with safety glass for car going on tours. While one is good two is better and DO NOT hide them, if you install put were people expect to see them. My main drive T has two tail lights, two brake lights and front/rear turn signals. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Emering on Sunday, June 24, 2018 - 07:56 pm:

Meant to post in the Forum!
Dang!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Noonan - Norton, MA. on Monday, June 25, 2018 - 12:02 am:

Gene, its not a big deal, happens all the time. You can always re-post this to the forum if you don't get the info you need here. :-) What i did was to buy some matching tail lights that the vendors sell which are duel filament, I use them as my running lights and my brake lights. they look totally correct as far as I'm concerned, and you have the added value of maybe not getting hit from behind. I also added blinkers which can also be discussed if you decide to go that route. I'll add a few links to the parts i bought, and a vid of how it looks on my Runabout.. Hope this helps.

https://www.snydersantiqueauto.com/electric-tailight

https://www.modeltford.com/item/3158HD.aspx

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnRSdq7wUNI

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Monday, June 25, 2018 - 10:59 am:

I have no proof on this, but I have what I believe is a factory replacement made by Ford in the thirties, which has a socket much like that of the headlights. By using a spring loaded plug, either single, or double contact, you can use a double contact bulb. I'm using one of Snyders cowl lamp bulbs in mine, but had to file off the offset pin to get it to work. I'm using a genuine Ford stoplight switch on the bendix cover, and so I have an original appearing taillight, and a stoplight.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Davis. Tomball Texas on Monday, June 25, 2018 - 01:51 pm:

Another item that improves visibility especially with a single tail light is a programmable brake light flasher. will work on LED and incandescent bulbs, different patterns to help get drivers attention, should be able to be wired for one or two wire tail lights which would now flash in a pattern user selects when braking. $6.85 E-Bay

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Davis. Tomball Texas on Monday, June 25, 2018 - 02:47 pm:

Another possibility for a T stop light is a wireless automatic brake light that uses the inertia or G-Force of braking to trigger the light. Made for a bicycle but might be a quick way to have rear visibility when braking.

Features: