WTB Stromberg OF parts

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Classifieds: WTB Stromberg OF parts
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bruce Compton on Sunday, July 22, 2018 - 10:47 pm:

I'd like to buy a throttle arm and the needle valve cover (on the float cover) for a Stromberg OF carb. Thanks : Bruce

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Monday, July 23, 2018 - 05:12 am:

Bruce, it may help your search, and turn out to be cheaper, if the float chamber cover was from a Stromberg other than an OF. When I found my OF, the cover was missing. I found a Studebaker one which was the same other than the Studebaker marking. Stan Howe set my OF up and I am unwilling to upset his work fitting the correct cover I have since found.

Our throttle arms are different from US ones. They clamp around the throttle plate shaft and are adjustable to whatever angle is required. You could do the same.

Hope this helps.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bruce Compton on Monday, July 23, 2018 - 08:17 am:

Hi Allan: Thanks for your help, but I just need the little domed shape cover for the needle valve adjustment and I know that many other Strombergs use the same cover (OF,OX,OE etc. series). Interesting about the throttle arm though. Cheers : Bruce

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Monday, July 23, 2018 - 03:00 pm:

Allan, I'd sure like to see a picture of a clamp type throttle arm if possible. I bet others as well. I've never heard about that difference you have down there.

Were they made that way because they're up side down?/ Sorry LOL

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Monday, July 23, 2018 - 03:03 pm:

Bruce, quite awhile ago somebody else was looking for some of the same cap Nuts that I think you are. I looked at some I have and they sure would be easy to make a few sets from some brass hex stock?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Monday, July 23, 2018 - 07:22 pm:

Bruce, Stan Howe provided a new cover nut for mine.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Monday, July 23, 2018 - 11:55 pm:

I make them by the handful. I think I made 50 on the last run. If you set up on several lathes to do each operation they actually go pretty quickly. I have 5 lathes, takes some time to get them all set right but it is worth it for the time it saves overall.

They are just 1/2 inch brass hex stock (I use 260 because it machines so nice) The thread is 7/16 x 24, typical of many carb threads.

I had a bunch of the steel parts for OF's produced a couple years ago, built some jigs for bending them but have used just about all of them. We have a new guy in town with a laser setup that I may be able to get to do a run of them for me. Last batch was well over $2000 by the time I got them done.

Not enough hours or money in the day to get it all done.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Tuesday, July 24, 2018 - 09:06 am:

Gene, details as requested. RHD carburetor throttle arms have the linkage hole, the butterfly shaft and the idle screw roughly in a straight line, whereas on LHD cars they make a right angle.

This arm is on standard Holley NH.

On the straight through Holley on my tourer, the arm is a brass casting, reflecting the earlier NH.

This is the arm on a second OF Stromberg I have. The one on my car is hidden under a special device which allows a foot pedal to be hooked up, while maintaining the original hand lever operation.

Here the adjustable arm is shown. It can be positioned at any point around the shaft. When Stan Howe rebuilt my first OF, he made the throttle plate shaft longer so there was enough shaft to accept the adjustable arm. I have couple of all brass Stromberg M1 carburetors and these also have the same setup.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Tuesday, July 24, 2018 - 01:18 pm:

Thanks Alan!
Very interesting idea with the adjustable arm..

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration