Early Aluminum Hogs Head (without reinforcements)

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Classifieds: Early Aluminum Hogs Head (without reinforcements)
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Bird on Tuesday, August 14, 2018 - 08:21 pm:

Early Hogshead without the reinforcement ribs around bolt holes. Nice shape except for a small crack on front right corner, may be a easy fix. See pictures. Give me your best offer plus shipping.
mikebird@lifeattheridge.net or 574-584-6744

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Bird on Tuesday, August 14, 2018 - 08:33 pm:

cover 1
cover 2
cover 3
cover 4
cover 5

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Tuesday, August 14, 2018 - 11:12 pm:

That "aged" aluminum seems to be really tough to weld - I've several of those in the scrap pile.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Pharis on Wednesday, August 15, 2018 - 10:16 pm:

Having welded my share of early aluminum castings, Iíve found the base material welds OK. Like this one, they are usually completely saturated with oil, which makes the job a bit tricky. Clean! Clean! Clean! And when you finally think itís clean... Clean it again! Best way Iíve found, is to use lots of detergent... then lots of heat! Heat the casting till it sweats oil and gasses off, then stainless wire brush and more detergent. Repeat as needed.

The worst is when there is heavy corrosion. Then the only answer is to grind beyond the corrosion, and build up and shape as required.

No signs of corrosion in the above pics, just oil and dirt. Very repairable. It will take patience... but can be done without major expense or time investment. If you buy this hogshead, Iíd be happy to talk you thru the repair.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration