*** Wanted TT 20" tires USED

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Classifieds: *** Wanted TT 20" tires USED
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Strickling on Saturday, August 25, 2018 - 06:37 pm:

Looking for a set of roller tires for 20" TT rears.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Saturday, August 25, 2018 - 08:59 pm:

I picked up a set of wheels at the autofair in april with 9.00-20's on them. Huge but they roll!
So don't rule out the local tire store if they work on older farm trucks any at all. May be a couple there for cheap or free for the hauling.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Miller, Sequim WA on Sunday, August 26, 2018 - 12:29 am:

I have seen the 9.00-20s on the Firestone 20" rims. Yes they do look large but they seem to fit.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Zachary Carrico on Sunday, August 26, 2018 - 10:58 pm:

I have a set of BKT TF-8181 F-2 Front Tractor 6.50 R20's on the rear of my TT from simple tire.
They are not exactly DOT compliant truck tires, but they were way less costly, look surprisingly appropriate, and no one has hassled me about them yet -even the nice police officer liked them :-) I figure the TT has more in common with a tractor than a modern truck anyways, especially in the speed department.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Strickling on Monday, August 27, 2018 - 07:20 am:

WOW Thanks Zach Very economical, What kind of driving or touring do you do with those tires ??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Matthew Weaver - Arthurdale, WV on Monday, August 27, 2018 - 08:52 am:

Cool, I see that they have them in 5.50-20 too at a whopping $68/each and free shipping. Wish I would have thought about that. - Matt

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Strickling on Monday, August 27, 2018 - 10:06 am:

Those tires were as low as $48 this morning now up to $109.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gordon A. Clayton Sr. on Monday, August 27, 2018 - 11:16 am:

It's surprising what a split rim will take. I had a
28 Essex back in the late 50's early 60's that had
4 50 -5 50 x 20 tires that you just couldn't find used. As a teenager new was out of the question.
My father owned a fuel oil-kerosene business and had several delivery trucks. The small one took
6.00 x 20 tires. We wondered if they might fit on the Essex split rims. They looked huge compared
to the Essex's tires . They fit !! And it raised
the Essex about 6 inches higher and boy would it go through snow. Needless to say my father lost his new tires for his truck

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Zachary Carrico on Monday, August 27, 2018 - 10:36 pm:

Tom, you may have been looking at ones with 16 inch rims, I accidentally clicked on them first.

As for road testing the tires my truck is partially redone, but I wouldn't be comfortable with long trips until the engine gets rebuilt,so it only sees trips of about 10-15 miles or less. with that said the solid bars in the middle ride very smooth on road. I did get stuck in mud once, the tires did an admirable job of pushing the truck along in sticky thick stuff up to the pumpkin, I actually thought I was going to make it out for a minute! -It got a little deeper before it got better and the axles stopped me.

The tires will likely wear out more quickly than other tires, but most of my tires get checks in the sidewalls before I wear the tread out even on my modern truck. If a new set is needed the combined cost will still only be the same as one set of Firestone's.

Gordan, I'm not sure this application would be considered pushing "what a split rim will take" the rim diameter and width is appropriate for the tire. I would love to see that Essex in the snow! That sort of odd mixup of tires used to be a lot more common, now many places won't mount a tire unless it is the size specified on the cars door jamb, I suspect this has something to do with lawyers.
Slightly off topic the rims and rings were cleaned and repainted before mounting I was glad I did they reassembled without any effort (less than 10 min each). The rings sat into the grooves well, it felt much safer than others I have done in the past, though a clip-on chuck and remote air valve is still a good precaution.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Zachary Carrico on Monday, August 27, 2018 - 10:43 pm:

That message was getting long, here are some images neither is great both are from my phone and the close up is cropped from a larger picture.

Here they are being load tested with hay-bales and some of my daughters' friends :-) (the kids love climbing around on this truck)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Zachary Carrico on Monday, August 27, 2018 - 10:45 pm:

FYI the best selling point for me is that the tread says "TT"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron in Central Massachusetts on Tuesday, August 28, 2018 - 08:06 am:

You need to keep checking the Simple Tire site for a sale. I run the 8181s on a couple of mine and I got them for $90 ea on sale. There was a sale about a month ago where they dropped to that price - ne d to check website daily.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Strickling on Tuesday, August 28, 2018 - 08:38 am:

Sweet lookin tires. Thanks for all the photos and input. I noticed the TT marking also.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Strickling on Tuesday, August 28, 2018 - 08:49 am:

NO I goofed when I said

"Those tires were as low as $48 this morning now up to $109."

It was a different size at that price.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Tuesday, August 28, 2018 - 10:16 am:

That looks to be a viable option and most modern tractors will run faster than a TT so speed is not a problem.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron in Central Massachusetts on Tuesday, August 28, 2018 - 01:21 pm:

Far better than the outrageous prices for the conventional TT tires through Coker or another vendor.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration