WTB 1913 Touring Body Reinforcement Brackets

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Classifieds: WTB 1913 Touring Body Reinforcement Brackets
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Herring on Sunday, September 02, 2018 - 04:44 pm:

I am looking to buy a set of rear body reinforcement brackets for my 1913 Touring, does anyone has a spare set for sale please?

Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry K. Lee on Sunday, September 02, 2018 - 05:54 pm:

Dave, do you have any photos as I have loose ones as pairs on the shelf.

Hank

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Herring on Monday, September 03, 2018 - 10:23 pm:

Hi Hank

I managed to find a picture of what I need, if you have a pair for sale that would be great

Thanks

Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Sommers on Tuesday, September 04, 2018 - 09:22 am:

Hank,
I am also looking for the rear body reinforcement brackets for my '13 Touring. In a previous post I was cautioned that there were a few different brackets depending on the width of the sill. My sills are 1 7/8" thick (wide), and it is 2 3/4" from the inside edge of the sill to the door frame where the bolts / screws attach.
Do you have a set that would fit those measurements?
Regards,
Mike Sommers

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry K. Lee on Tuesday, September 04, 2018 - 11:10 am:

Let me take a look in the barn so give me a couple of days.

Hank

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Sommers on Tuesday, September 04, 2018 - 11:32 am:

Great!!!
I shall await your response.
Regards,
Mike

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry K. Lee on Wednesday, September 05, 2018 - 09:28 pm:

Dave,

I thought I had a set, but after looking at your photos, mine only come up about an inch or a little more. Where the floor mounting is, has 5 mounting bolts instead of 3. Sorry, just trying to help. If you have an example as a pattern, I could fabricate that piece(s) on my machines.

All the Best,

Hank in Tin-A-See

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Herring on Wednesday, September 05, 2018 - 09:53 pm:

Hi Hank

Many thanks for checking and for the offer to fabricate some.

I would need to find someone with a set that is willing to lend them

Thanks again

Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Hatch on Wednesday, September 05, 2018 - 10:09 pm:

Does it depend on who made your body if you need the braces or not? This 13 I am fixing to list is a late 13 and does not have them and looks like it never had them. just asking? Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Herring on Wednesday, September 05, 2018 - 10:32 pm:

That is a good point, I am getting the T ready for the Florida Winter Tour and did not want to have a problem with the body flexing, but maybe it doesn't need the braces?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Thursday, September 06, 2018 - 05:34 am:

Dan, the story I heard was they were an after sale fitment by dealers to cure a problem. Perhaps yours just missed out. There were other brackets bolted to the frame as another "fix". These were bolted to the frame in the middle of the door sill and then fixed to the sill timber. They were pressed steel, the leg on the frame being shorter than the support leg extending out to the sill, and the edges of the bracket were folded to add strength. I had a pair once. Again, the story was they were factory supplied to correct the fault. Perhaps these were earlier, the ones shown above being a better fix.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Hatch on Thursday, September 06, 2018 - 10:03 am:

Allen: I have seen those on frames I have had and sold. Have not looked on this car, but not sure if this frame came with this body. Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Thursday, September 06, 2018 - 10:47 am:

Try calling Lang's. They have a ton of used parts not listed in their catalog.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Adam Doleshal on Thursday, September 06, 2018 - 11:59 am:

My very original 13 touring does not have them and was one of the body makes with the heavier sills that did not require them. My car is a late May 13. Yours may not require them either. All 13 touring cars did not have this issue.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Adam Doleshal on Thursday, September 06, 2018 - 12:12 pm:

1913 letters / notes from Ford about 13 touring car bodies:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Thursday, September 06, 2018 - 07:19 pm:

Adam, that first message would appear to pertain to the brackets I mentioned. It would appear that the intention was to pull the body down, thus closing the door gap at the top, and making the latches more likely to hold.
Nice work!

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Perkins / Lakeland Mn. on Friday, September 07, 2018 - 08:10 am:

My former 1913 Touring, #336, did not have any reinforcement brackets. The wood sills were original. The car is a very early 1913.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Adam Doleshal on Friday, September 07, 2018 - 10:44 am:

The important part of the first paragraph is: As of March 4th 1913, all bodies were being made with heavier sills that did not require any additional brackets to be installed.

As a matter of fact, Ford actually made and shipped to dealers many, many more brackets than the number of bodies that actually needed them and Ford was still getting orders for more. Ford eventually communicated with branches and dealers that no more brackets would be made or shipped because the number already made was far higher than the cars that needed them.

What we can understand from this is that some 13 tourings that never needed the brackets do have them and that some that needed the brackets never received them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dean Dorholt - Mpls, MN on Saturday, September 08, 2018 - 08:34 am:

I have a May built 1913 and it never received them and it has sag.
I managed to find one so far but would like to find another way to reinforce the sills, just doesn't feel right drilling holes through the body panels to install.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Macleod on Sunday, September 09, 2018 - 08:37 am:

I have a set. If you will PM me your address I can put them on a piece of cardboard and make an exact pattern for you. Likely, a loan would work even better but they are slated for installation on my car very soon. Let me know if that would help you.
Eric

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration