Mag Switch base needed

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Classifieds: Mag Switch base needed
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Juhl on Wednesday, September 05, 2018 - 08:43 pm:

Does anyone have a spare mag switch base that I could use to rebuild my switch? My internals are OK but one of the faceplate screws is broken off and the bakelite is chipped and cracked in a couple of places.

I see where I can buy a base from Lang's but they're pretty pricey. Thanks!
Switch

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Wednesday, September 05, 2018 - 09:06 pm:

Tim-
That one is actually in pretty good shape and good ones are really hard to find! I've seen far worse, and this is repairable.

Drill out the broken screw. If the "nuts" in the bakelite are stripped or loose, you can reinforce them with JB weld. You can very carefully drill/countersink the back side of the bakelite and JB weld in place a standard nut with the correct thread. Don't drill too much! Make sure to leave enough material between the bottom of your hole and the surroundings. I would not worry about he missing bit on the bottom because with the face plate on it, no one ever sees it. If you want you can do a repair that with JB weld too, dress it up, and paint it with some black semi-gloss paint. You have a nice faceplate, too.

: ^ )

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry K. Lee on Wednesday, September 05, 2018 - 09:31 pm:

Jim,

Let me look tomorrow. I believe I have some extras.

All the Best,

Hank in Tin-A-See

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve McClelland on Wednesday, September 05, 2018 - 10:06 pm:

It is better than you think... I've had worse, a little JB Weld and some sanding and a shot of black paint will make it look new. An easy fix.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry K. Lee on Thursday, September 06, 2018 - 10:23 am:

Jim,

Do not have one, sorry.

Hank

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Juhl on Thursday, September 06, 2018 - 10:42 pm:

Thanks for looking Hank - Steve and Keith, I'm going to try to fix it before I spring for one of Lang's.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Colin Mavins Winnipeg,Canada on Saturday, September 08, 2018 - 01:57 pm:

Hello Tim are you still looking for a switch email me cmavins@hotmail.com

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Colin Mavins Winnipeg,Canada on Saturday, September 08, 2018 - 02:06 pm:

hello Tim here's a pic it does show its age 1 chip in the bottom you can see in the pic

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration