Wth high tension mag plate drive, or good distributor unit

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Classifieds: Wth high tension mag plate drive, or good distributor unit
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Wednesday, September 19, 2018 - 11:57 am:

Matthew, you might want to ask some of these questions on the forum. I would read but skip any reply's involving electronic types, maybe something like; I am building a speedster and plan on running over 2000RPMs at times. I do not plan on using modern electronic type and want to stick with more traditional ignition. Will coils and timer work or should I go with a distributor or mag? (you can use the wording if you wish)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Matthew Atchinson on Wednesday, September 19, 2018 - 11:41 am:

I figured I'd probably have to use a T buzz coil to run a dizzy on mag. I really like mag, the question is if past 1800 rpm if the ford timer can reliably keep accurate timing and ignition going for the mag. I think a dizzy would give more accurate ignition at the higher rpms. I know there's the I timer, but I'm not a big fan of electronic units like that on a T

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Wednesday, September 19, 2018 - 10:53 am:

Matthew, Most any distributor can be run off the magneto, but I think you would have to use the T coil. I do not think a modern coil will work with AC if that was what you were planning. There is no such thing as 12V type, it depends on what coil and condenser you use, points do not care. if you have a copy of "The Model T Ford Owner", there is some good info on hooking up the distributor using a T coil and how it is set up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Matthew Atchinson on Wednesday, September 19, 2018 - 10:21 am:

Should have been wtb, darn autocorrect!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Matthew Atchinson on Wednesday, September 19, 2018 - 10:20 am:

The engine to my 26 coupe comes out soon for a rebuild. The engine will be receiving period hop up work such as better cam, valves, head, balancing, etc. From this higher rpms will be possible and more power. I've seen info that past 2000rpm the magneto of the T starts to fall behind a dizzy, e timer, or high tension mag for power output. I'm considering a bosch du4 zr4 or zu4 mag. I'd like to keep my generator and 6v battery for starting, horn and lights though. So I need a mag front plate/driver. Alternatively, I'm also considering a 12v distributor. I have an Atwater Kent H type in good shape overall, but will likely need some parts. Any spare parts for an h rype, or another good distributor of any type in good order, would be considered. Especially a halladay or N.Y. dizzy that can run on mag.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration