FS 1915 steering column

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Classifieds: FS 1915 steering column
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kim Dobbins So Cal on Wednesday, September 19, 2018 - 06:02 pm:

For sale is a 1915 steering column with the small thin wire tube. $125.00 plus postage. Kdmks AT att.net

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Wightman on Thursday, September 20, 2018 - 03:43 pm:

Hi Kim, I will take it. I need one with the wire tube. I will send you a PM. Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael O'Brien on Thursday, September 20, 2018 - 03:47 pm:

If I may ask....what is the tube for?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Thursday, September 20, 2018 - 04:02 pm:

Headlight switch wire

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Thursday, September 20, 2018 - 04:15 pm:

Magneto horn wire.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Thursday, September 20, 2018 - 06:20 pm:

The small tube was for a single wire to ground through the steering column and small horn button mounted on the top of the column. When Ford changed to the shortly used combination horn button light switch about 1918, a larger wire tube was needed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Thursday, September 20, 2018 - 07:35 pm:

Did USA control arms change to the button ends earlier than Canadian T's? our 15/16'ns had the long ends on them still.
Reason I ask is 1 of my 16'ns is an LHD import and has the button ends like this one and later T's.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Friday, September 21, 2018 - 03:10 am:

Frank, I am not sure when the spark and throttle lever ends changed, however I think it was about the middle of calendar '15 for USA cars. I have over the years had at least three of the '15/'16/'17 steering columns with the small tube for the horn wire. None of those had the earlier paddle type levers. A good friend years ago had a June '15 touring car in mostly original condition with only minor cosmetic restoration. If I recall correctly, it had the earlier paddle type levers. It also clearly had had a bulb horn originally, and no wire tube on the steering column. Several late '15s I have seen had the little button type ends on the levers.
Hope that helps some. I sure miss having some of our better experts on such details here answering such questions.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Friday, September 21, 2018 - 03:18 am:

Thanks Wayne, unless I change it to RHD I can leave it as is and know that it is right.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kim Dobbins So Cal on Friday, September 21, 2018 - 05:42 am:

Sold to John

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Wightman on Monday, September 24, 2018 - 11:02 pm:

Hi Kim, I sent you a PM. Thanks John Wightman

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration