26 transmission in a 22 coupe

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Classifieds: 26 transmission in a 22 coupe
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Fuller on Sunday, September 23, 2018 - 08:04 am:

Will a 1926-27 transmission fit a 1922 motor?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert G. Hester Jr., Riverview, FL on Sunday, September 23, 2018 - 08:22 am:

I'm pretty sure it will. My 26 touring car has a 24 engine. The 26/27 transmission cover (hogshead) has bolt holes at the top to bolt to the back of the engine block. On the 22 engine there will be nothing to bolt these to, the same as a 22 hogshead. Hope this helps.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert G. Hester Jr., Riverview, FL on Sunday, September 23, 2018 - 08:27 am:

P. S. On second thought, there are some issues because of the wider brake in the 26/27 which will require you to use the 26/27 hogshead. These have different spacing of the pedals may require a different floorboard.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Cibolo, Texas on Sunday, September 23, 2018 - 10:18 am:

Robert is 'spot on' with his second thought. Both are true. I was going to post the same thing until I read his second post. A 26-27 transmission should bolt up to any black T engine and maybe some brass T engines, but the 26-27 hogshead must be used. I've also read that some late 25 hogheads were also modified in anticipation of the 26-27 transmission. As stated, the pre 26 blocks do not have holes for the two bolts at the top of the hogshead on the 26-27 hogshead. It isn't needed if you're not swapping the block, too. If used in a pre 26 T, you'll need to modify the floorboards for the pedals, as he stated. My Grandfather wore out the original 27 engine in his coupe. Being poor and not wanting to buy a new 26-27 replacement block, he went to a junkyard in the day, and bought a 1922 bare block. He swapped everything usable (crank, rods, pistons, cam, etc.) and put them in the car, using the 27 pan, transmission, and hogshead. That's the way it stayed until this day, as I am replacing the 22 block with the correct 26-27 block.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Fitch on Sunday, September 23, 2018 - 08:53 pm:

I run a 26/7 transmission in my 15 it has the right oil pan and aluminum hogs head I just run a narrow brake band on the wide drum

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By chris lawrence on Monday, September 24, 2018 - 06:26 pm:

Hi. Been running a 26 trans in my 13 for years and my 22. If you want to run wide drum, use 26 sump pan, everything else fits. 13 engine I machined brake drum back to narrow so I had the later clutch drum, three narrow bands and hardened shoes in clutch. Hope this helps.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By chris lawrence on Monday, September 24, 2018 - 06:27 pm:

Hi. Been running a 26 transmission in my 13 for years and my 22. If you want to run wide drum, use 26 sump pan, everything else fits. 13 engine I machined brake drum back to narrow so I had the later clutch drum, three narrow bands and hardened shoes in clutch. Hope this helps.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration