Wanted- early style magnet clamp

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Classifieds: Wanted- early style magnet clamp
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Corey Walker, Brownsboro TX on Tuesday, September 25, 2018 - 07:27 pm:

I need one of the earlier style plates that are longer with concave ends and tabs that hold it straight. Even if straighten the old one the center screw hole is messed up. I've got plenty of the later plain rectangular type but no earlier ones. wlkma9@gmail.com

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Corey Walker, Brownsboro TX on Tuesday, September 25, 2018 - 10:07 pm:

Found one. Thanks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By joe bell on Tuesday, September 25, 2018 - 10:16 pm:

Cory, those clamps are not correct for the field coil you have, it should be the small double stack round. I am not an electrical engineer but an old friend of mine that rewound field coils for many years told me if you run that setup the mag does not function correctly, there is spikes and that is where the history of a model T breaking your arm came from. Right Wally?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Corey Walker, Brownsboro TX on Tuesday, September 25, 2018 - 11:03 pm:

I'm not sure what I've got going on. I've got an Oct 1913 cast date block with a serial number that's around the same build date as the date on the transmission shaft. Maybe the same day, but it has a single stack field coil with no starter notch. It had the correct aluminum hogshead but a wide nose pan and high head when I got it. Transmission had the earlier thick spacer washer in the clutch discs. When I got the motor that same clamp was loose and I replaced that screw but see I didn't pein it good so it backed out. It lasted since 1994 anyway.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By joe bell on Wednesday, September 26, 2018 - 07:07 am:

Cory, They have all been into one time or another, The nick in the field coil has the wire broken so it will not work with out repair, if you are not planning on mag starting it a single stack is fine, if you want to show off and mag start then you need the double stack. I would change out the field coil, change out all the brass screws since they are brittle, so this does not happen again, match field with the steel plates to what ever way you want, early style or late, recharge your magnets, then you will have a good mag. Hope this helps. The last thing you want is a magnet flying off at high RPM's. Joe

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman, Rochester, NY on Wednesday, September 26, 2018 - 07:59 am:

I recharged the magnets and had the single stack field coil rewound on my 23 engine and it starts fine with hand cranking. Also starts easier on Mag when I use the starter motor.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Corey Walker, Brownsboro TX on Wednesday, September 26, 2018 - 03:32 pm:

None of the screws are flush with the flywheel, they were set with an X shaped punch at the factory. It always started on mag with the single stack, my 21 that I individually charged the magnets starts really easily. I found a Dodge Bros mark on the flywheel. Now that I think about it, the flywheel wasn't in question, but the field coil. I thought a double stack coil used 5/8" magnets but the ones I have are 3/4". According to the encyclopedia it was June before that change.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By joe bell on Wednesday, September 26, 2018 - 06:57 pm:

Cory, Look how many shims are behind the field coil, it is possible they shimmed it out or they changed the magnets and used the old plates, what ever way you go the plates need to match the field coil for it to run correct,it will run the way it is but there will be spikes in the system instead of smooth. If you run the long plates they need the small double stack, the short plates work on all except the small round double stack. Hope this helps, Joe

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration