Acetylene Gas Hose Punch

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Classifieds: Acetylene Gas Hose Punch
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Tuesday, September 25, 2018 - 08:37 pm:

I need to punch a hole in the splash shield for my acetylene tube from the generator. Does anyone have one to sell or loan. Oh I know I could make one, but why bother? This is for a 13-14.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Haynes - Chadron, Nebraska on Tuesday, September 25, 2018 - 09:37 pm:

Hello Larry,
You can buy a punch that is long and with a taper to it. Drill a small hole that you can fit the end of the punch in. Then hit the punch with a hammer and drive it into the hole to the point where the hole is large enough to fit your gas tubing. This should be done before you paint the splash apron. I have done this on several cars. It works great and gives you a nice rounded edge against the tubing. Hope this helps.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kenneth w delong on Tuesday, September 25, 2018 - 10:44 pm:

I have a long tapered drift i used to use to line up bolt holes in steel work but what size hole is needed to start?? I would think Org Smith want's it perfect.Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Adam Doleshal on Wednesday, September 26, 2018 - 09:30 am:

If the apron needs a hole, it must not be an original apron...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By george schreppler on Wednesday, September 26, 2018 - 04:59 pm:

Larry, I had the punches made for the flat and curved parts of the apron to match original aprons call me at 1 302 670 0256

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Thursday, September 27, 2018 - 08:26 pm:

The splash shield I want this for is a very old reproduction. I know a taper punch will work for the hole, after I drill a pilot hole, but I want something to support the splash shield while I'm punching the hole.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Schedler, Sacramento on Thursday, September 27, 2018 - 10:45 pm:

Step Bits at Harbor Freight go to 3/4 inch and are $19.99 in my coupon catalog.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ward Sherwood on Thursday, September 27, 2018 - 11:59 pm:

When I punch holes like this in sheet metal, I prefer to back up the hole with something substantial to minimize panel distortion. Something like this, perhaps a thick hardwood block would work with a drilled hole appropriate for the finished hole size and punch.

bar

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Friday, September 28, 2018 - 08:48 am:

Larry, you need a friend. If you can get him to lie under the car and hold/force a suitable sized piece of steel tubing over the pilot hole, you can use the tapered punch trick. I too believe the panel needs to be supported if it is being punched.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Friday, September 28, 2018 - 10:11 am:

Larry, I would think a backing block of hardwood would do the trick. Measure the thickness of the splash shield, find some scrap material, and practice.

: ^ )

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john hardiman on Friday, September 28, 2018 - 03:02 pm:

"Roto-broach", not a punch rather high quality drilling mill... application would be on stainless because of its hardness .. has the look of punched but drilled .. could use on steel... or whatever!!!

Look it up sets reasonably priced.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Friday, September 28, 2018 - 10:11 pm:

I'm going to roll under my '13 roadster which has an original splash shield. I'm going to determine what ID will fit over the hole. Yes, a piece of hardwood would do the trick, but I'm leaning toward metal. I can support the die with a piece of wood on a floor jack maybe. That way I can get it right up where it needs to be. I don't care much about the splash shield anyway, since it is a reproduction from over 50 years ago.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration