Buying on classifieds

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Classifieds: Buying on classifieds
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas Landers NE Indiana on Thursday, October 04, 2018 - 07:27 pm:

I have purchased many parts on MTFCA classifieds. Met some wonderful people and became friends with a few. I have never had a problem while dealing with any of them. I talked with a gentelmen today about purchase and delivery of parts as he is headed to Hershey. He has been into model T's since 1964 and told me he would NEVER advertise parts on this site again. Hands down the worst experience he has ever had selling a part. People arguing with him on the phone about who was the 1st caller omong other things. I have called or sent message and not been 1st. Luck of the draw. This man told me before he would sell on this site again he would take the stuff to recycle. Now he was polite and pleasant to talk with and in no way hard to deal with. Now these parts are hard enough to get sometimes and we need people to be willing to sell Their Parts on their terms. The parts are theirs. No names were given to me and I mention none. Just a reminder to be polite to others and it will be returned.
Drive safe and often

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tim moore, "Island City" MI on Thursday, October 04, 2018 - 08:09 pm:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJZyRXN9ufE

Tim Moore

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Dwyer in Troy, New York on Thursday, October 04, 2018 - 09:08 pm:

Interesting to read the experience of this poor fellow trying to sell stuff here.

I've never said anything but observing this forum for several years I get the impression that this place is like a pool of piranha --- throw a piece of meat in and people just jump all over each other to be first and snap up what's available. Sometimes within minutes of being posted. Most guys never have a chance.

Not that there's anything wrong with being an aggressive shopper, but something has changed in the hobby. It's not kind, wholesome and family oriented as it use to be when I got involved 40 years ago. Because it's so cut-throat and money-oriented, in some ways I don't want an old car again. Or at least a brass car. Man, some of you guys are way too aggressive for my tastes.

As an example, a friend sold a brass T to someone who within MINUTES posted it for sale for a huge profit. That's not the spirit of the hobby I remember or want to be involved in.

Now, this is just my opinion. Times do change and I am slow to change with them. So please don't insult me or say disparaging things about my ancestry. I'm sure most of you would be good friends if I got to know you. It's the few who can give anything a bad name.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry K. Lee on Thursday, October 04, 2018 - 09:29 pm:

Very interesting point Gentleman, as I did notice this when I responded to a couple of you under 'WTB" items. I received more email responses on items like......, BAM! I will not list parts yet for sale, people who know me, know I have parts for sale at very good prices with "If it isn't what I said it was, money happily refunded". Scott as you said piranha's, more a pod like killer whales.

Very interesting all the "Flippers" in the world, but I am still a man of my word, first come, first serve, or my 86 year father can tell me to go and get a switch and drop my pants.

Life is too short and must be enjoyed, don't let the bad ones ruin your day. Learn to ignore them and delete their emails, I do.

All the Best to All,

Hank in Tin-A-See

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Davis. Tomball Texas on Thursday, October 04, 2018 - 10:58 pm:

IT's the early bird that gets the worm! Items move to the bottom of the list pretty fast and I have found a number of bargains that have been here for days to weeks that were overlooked because they dropped out of sight so fast and many people don't scroll down the list very far. I have bought a number of items off the forum in the last year including a model T recently and all the folks I have been in contact with have been very nice. although a few never returned My PMs. Which is not old school.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman, Rochester, NY on Friday, October 05, 2018 - 12:27 am:

I have never had a bad experience either selling or buying through the MTFCA classifieds; knock on wood. Most people have been very polite. I have received parts that werenít quite right ... but when I pointed this out to the seller .. they have taken them back and sent me the right part.

I do try to buy T parts at a very low price at the local flea markets here around Rochester and sell pieces for a fair price .. often a lower price than typical market value. Itís one of the ways I can raise money to purchase things I need for my own T. I also buy parts for trading .. and buy antique banjos, cameras and other antiques for resale with the same approach ... buy very low and sell at lower than market value. Everyone ends up happy.

I have been ripped off when buying at Hershey because I wasnít savvy. For example I have a great 30 x 3 1/2 rim I bought a few years ago .. that only fits a Chevrolet. And a very expensive Stewart speedometer swivel that is completely wrong for model T ... both sold to me as model T parts. Live and learn. Now I bring samples when I can. Am bringing one rusted top iron to Hershey as a sample next week.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By J Alvord on Friday, October 05, 2018 - 08:37 am:

As a relative newcomer to T's (but not antique cars) I do notice some stuff sells briskly on the classifieds here... while I've been disappointed many times I can't watch the classifieds enough to be #1 often. No harm no fowl, I just use ebay mostly.

While I have met many great car folks... this last year has been exceptionally difficult dealing with people in and out of the hobby selling cars or related items. It seems to be so $$$ oriented now, maybe due to the internet and the ease of listing things...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don - Conroe, TX on Friday, October 05, 2018 - 08:58 am:

I've had mostly great experiences on the classifieds here....with one exception. When I was just starting out, someone sold me a bunch of parts they knew wouldn't work for my car....not even close.

Ah well...I just took most of it to Chickasha and sold it for a loss, but I did get some of my money out of it. But I didn't gripe to the guy or ask for my money back. I just took my lumps and learned from it. If I'd had a few months more experience in T's, I wouldn't have bought the parts.

Apart from that one experience, I've had some of the nicest folks sell me some great parts, at great prices and even a few just who just sent me parts for free, partly because I make it clear that I'm not going to flip the parts for a profit and that they going on a car I plan to keep forever.

I personally love doing the same thing and have sold parts cheap or just outright given them away to folks who I know are building a keeper. I run the 54 Ford Club and have probably given away what amounts to two or three whole cars over the years.

I tend to "buy high and sell low (or free)". It drives my wife crazy. But it makes me happy.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren Webb on Friday, October 05, 2018 - 11:50 am:

I have had a bad experience selling here. People want to run down your stuff and buy cheap and if it has already sold cuss you out.
I do not flip just try to sell extra inventory.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Darel J. Leipold on Friday, October 05, 2018 - 12:10 pm:

I have had several offers that did not ring just right. I have decided to just not reply to them. One sent a photo that was not correct and I think was lifted from another site. I know that there is an outside chance an offer may be okay, but as the seller, I can sell to whom ever I want and when ever I want.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Friday, October 05, 2018 - 12:25 pm:

I've done a bit of "pedaling" wares on here - only bitch is the folks that don't bother to respond one way or the other after sending photos, shipping estimates, etc.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Dugger on Friday, October 05, 2018 - 12:45 pm:

well - I have to add my "two Bits worth"! I have had nothing but good results from purchases here on the site. Case in point- Radiator from a vendor turned the radiator was not repairable- vendor credited my account- and I offered to return the radiator and he said no.
So as one would say you win a little and you loose a little. The vendors I have dealt with
there have been top Notch and there are to many to mention. Many of the parts I ave ordered has come from Lang's and they are great and the others have been good also.
Again case in point___---- I ordered from Pleasantville Manufacturing a Depot Hack Body-
and it was sent by Yellow Freight to California-and when I got it home and unboxed it I was in aweeeeeeeee as to the way it looked- FANTAST
IC/ I would order again if I was building a new car. I was perfect. Not one complaint!!!!
Thank you

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don - Conroe, TX on Friday, October 05, 2018 - 01:15 pm:

I bet that Hack body was a sight to behold when it arrived Bill.

I think I would've just sat there and looked at it for a couple days while drinking a beer...and I'm not even into the hacks.

I have a ton of respect for people who have top end wood working skills...they're in the same league as those who can skillfully work metal.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman, Rochester, NY on Friday, October 05, 2018 - 09:10 pm:

One thing I think might help is to require sellers to post a picture of the things they are offering. Even if itís a grouping with prices written on cards next to the pieces. Pictures are always featured on eBay ... why not here. Even if the seller is photographically challenged .. they must know someone who can help them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Saturday, October 06, 2018 - 06:18 am:

Mark, not all of us have the right equipment(and in my case, ability) to post pictures on here. I can, however, text them. I make that clear when I list something. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don - Conroe, TX on Saturday, October 06, 2018 - 07:42 am:

The one "beef" I have (and I hesitate to even call it that) is how fast the good items are snapped up.

I pretty much get to look at the classifieds early in the AM before I leave for work and you retired guys snap all of it up so fast, by the time I see it...it's already been taken. Oh well...one day I'll be retired and can join in I guess.

I do wonder how much hoarding is going on...because I believe parts (and cars) hoarding is part of what's killing the hobby, but that's a different topic.

Nearly all of the great parts I've obtained for my T have come from me posting a WTB (wanted to buy) add for something. Some awesome person almost always replies with an equally awesome part for me. I have quite the pile assembled in fact...and I'm days away from being able to start back in earnest on the T using my pile of parts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Dugger on Wednesday, October 17, 2018 - 11:48 am:

Don- in Conroe---- The story about the Depot Hack Body- A late friend knew when the body(
Depot Hack) would arrive here at the house and he came over and was curious about it and wanted to know when are you going to unpack it. I told him tomorrow and then I will start to assemble it.
He said now if you need help I can help and he was not an old car fan. So he pushed a bit more to see the body. So I relented and started to open it up- well it ended up on the saw horses and you would thought he was ready to finish the job.
Sadly he passed away about a year later-but he did help put the body on the frame. I took it for a short run one day and less than a mile from home I snapped the left axle- and we found a flaw in the axle- and the vendor gave me credit for the axle. Langs!!!!!!!!. Great outfit NUFF said

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration