4 dip pans.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Classifieds: 4 dip pans.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Sunday, October 07, 2018 - 11:34 pm:

I had always associated the 4 dip pans with the 26-7 models and the hogsheads with ears and threaded bosses on the engine block. The assumption was the 4 dip pan made bottom end work easier, but it required the pan to be supported, and hence the different hogs head.

Henrietta is a mid to late 1925 model and has a 4 dip pan, but no ears on a narrow band hogshead. Being largely unmolested, I am wondering whether it is correct. Perhaps the 4 dip pan came as an independent improvement, but a weakness was revealed so the hogshead and block were modified to overcome this.

What can you tell me?

Allan fro down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Barrett in Auburn Ca. on Monday, October 08, 2018 - 12:17 am:

Allan, you are correct. The four dip pan came out before the hogshead and block were modified for the two bolts connecting them. Ford soon realized the pan was seriously weakened because crankshafts were breaking. An attempt was made to strengthen them with the reinforcement plates located on the pan/hogshead cover bolts. Finally the update was made to utilize bolts between the hogshead and block. I have found that four dip pans used on earlier cars are among the worst offenders when placed on my KRW pan jig. Some of them are tweaked as much as 1/4" off the jig at the back end. Make sure your pan is straight.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Monday, October 08, 2018 - 03:21 am:

Thanks Eric,
This is the second time I have posted in the classified instead of the forum. I may have learned something about being more careful.

Allan from down under.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration