Wanted Aftermarket Front Brakes

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Classifieds: Wanted Aftermarket Front Brakes
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tea Man on Sunday, October 28, 2018 - 02:36 am:

Looking for aftermarket front brakes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Albert Lemon on Monday, October 29, 2018 - 02:04 pm:

"Tea Man", in all my years of being a "Collector/Restorer". I have never heard of nor seen such a after market accessory !!! Do you have any further information, news ad, photo's ??? They have to be the same principle design as the rear I would guess, similar to a Model "A" front axle design maybe ??? Any other Forum Member with knowledge of this set up, please chime in.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Layden Butler on Monday, October 29, 2018 - 03:09 pm:

I have owned 3 sets of aftermarket original 1920's front wheel brakes.
All are very uncommon. McNearny were made in San Francisco so are the dominant brand around here.

a

This is my unknown brand. They use 1926-27 Model T rear components.

brakes

brakes

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Monday, October 29, 2018 - 04:41 pm:

And another type

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Monday, October 29, 2018 - 07:01 pm:

You can also Google Big Four another aftermarket supplier back in the day.

Google Model T Ford Forum Gene Carrothers front brakes to see several pictures.

Here's a link

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/411944/426869.html?1394204794

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Albert Lemon on Monday, October 29, 2018 - 08:52 pm:

Interesting response, if Layden has only seen them 3 times in his career of selling parts, man they not only are super rare but probably super expensive. Makes one wonder if they are that rare, were they that good for the retail price charged at that time ??? I still think I'll leave it in my "bucket list" though !!! I'm sure their were others interested in the subject, but didn't know. Thanks guys.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry K. Lee on Monday, October 29, 2018 - 09:04 pm:

Have built two sets as prototypes so far with good results. Only using 30% brake balance from the rear pressure as it prevents adverse stresses on the king pins. A serious difference from only rear brakes. I am not releasing any at the present time due to other endeavors. When I do, They will be listed. Please do not request photos.

All the Best,

Hank

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tim moore, "Island City" MI on Monday, October 29, 2018 - 09:47 pm:

What kind of parents names their child "Tea Man"?. I am proud of my name given to me by my grandfather and have nothing to hide.

Tim Moore

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tea Man on Tuesday, October 30, 2018 - 12:46 am:

Thank you to everyone for the info. I was hoping to find parts or a complete set rather than build them from scratch. The car I have, had them in the mid 20's and I want to put a set back on. I have lots pictures of the car from back then and I will see if I have a good picture of the brakes to post

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Layden Butler on Tuesday, October 30, 2018 - 12:58 am:

Dan,
Would you have an illustration of the rear brakes of a McNerny set?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Tuesday, October 30, 2018 - 10:14 am:

Les Schubert has been teasing us about making and selling copies of period front brakes for years, maybe they're close to ready? :-)

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/599638/628224.html?1459189713

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Cibolo, Texas on Tuesday, October 30, 2018 - 11:56 am:

Tim, Maybe "Tea Man" is another way of saying "T Man", as in Model T. I'm like you: I have nothing to hide, but other Forum posters refuse to use their real names, too, probably because they prefer privacy and want to remain anonymous. Just sayin'. Terry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tea Man on Wednesday, October 31, 2018 - 12:36 am:

It appears there are a few companies that made front brakes and maybe a few more that would have been adapted from other cars to work. If I can identify this brake then I have a starting point.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Schedler, Sacramento on Wednesday, October 31, 2018 - 01:30 am:

My speedster has motorcycle disc brakes on the front wheels.
The Nash Metro brakes also can be made to work. You need to beef up the wishbone if you install brakes on the front.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Wednesday, October 31, 2018 - 02:44 am:

We had a tinkerer who fitted 1970's Holden disc brakes to his 26 T tourer. They worked very well, until he had to make a real stop. The front axle stopped, but the car drove on over it. he certainly needed to brace the wishbone!

A second member braced his front end then. He clamped vertical members to either side of the axle, and linked them back to a pivot point in line with the frame rail. Crude looking but effective.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Wednesday, October 31, 2018 - 04:44 am:

Tim M., if you have nothing to hide, why do you have fictional town on your profile? Just curious. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Wednesday, October 31, 2018 - 01:17 pm:

Ya Tim, Inquiring minds want to know?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Wednesday, October 31, 2018 - 03:17 pm:

Layden

I'll check to see.

David

Could be Eaton Rapids, MI, that is known as an island city, as least google says.... :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Wednesday, October 31, 2018 - 03:43 pm:

Layden

No real detail in the McNerny adv. for the rear brakes, I did one close up.

These were advertised in Ford Owner Dealer April and May 1925 in spread, and later 2 issues that summer, with 1/8 page copy ads only, no illustrations, in July they don't appear any longer. Short-lived advertising. Perhaps very short life product.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Bourgeois on Wednesday, October 31, 2018 - 04:06 pm:

I have a club member that has put disk breaks on the front and rear of his car.
PM me and I will pass your name to him.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tim moore, "Island City" MI on Wednesday, October 31, 2018 - 06:08 pm:

David and Gene; Very fair and appropriate question. A quick internet search for "Island City MI" will show Eaton Rapids. The signs in Eaton Rapids also say "Island City" and "the only Eaton Rapids on Earth" as there is no other city with this name. The city is surrounded by a split river probably a local thing to be called "Island City". The schools, paper, sports teams all have that. So no my evil plan is not to hide where I live.

Consider this; again this week there have been posts about "Tim Moore". I have always used my real name and nothing cartoonist. Because I share the same name as a person who toured the USA and published a book that is not well received by all my name may be confused with another person...and we all know the conflict about politics and opinions. So my hot button is hit because I play right and don't hide but now there can be confusion.

I really object to fake names used here, if a person has to hide then stay off the internet and don't use a cell phone or credit cards. I consider it juvenile. There are lots of forums where this is expected but this doesn't seem to be one.

I am now going to try to go into my profile and edit it, I like "Island City" better because that is what we call it (registered many years ago). I don't care because it is obvious with a few seconds of searching.

Will anyone else do the same? I doubt it, the internet is a social experiment that shows human nature and how weird people are.

Regards,

Tim Moore, not the other Tim Moore

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tim moore, Eaton Rapids MI on Wednesday, October 31, 2018 - 06:11 pm:

There, done if it worked. Any other MEN out there?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerome Hoffman, Hays Kansas on Thursday, November 01, 2018 - 12:24 am:

Tim, I had no problem with "Island City" but I do with your name not having the first letter capitalized as well as your last............lol

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Thursday, November 01, 2018 - 01:36 am:

Sorry tim, my comment was directed to the Tea guy.. with fake name and location!

I wish you'd replace the "Island City" cause that's what you've always had and now I'll have to try and remember a new place. LOL

Gene in Surf City

I have Four Wheel period brakes BTW for this post

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Grady L Puryear on Thursday, November 01, 2018 - 07:52 am:

For whatever it's worth, this is what some of us Boys did way back when. There were always the skeletal remains of old cars around, mostly Fords with the straight front axle. Some of us decided we wanted front wheel brakes on our T's, and there lay a Ford front axle with the answer. Ford didn't put hydraulics on until '39, so we had lots of scrap to work with. One must remember that we had no electricity out in the Country, so we had no electric drills or welders, it was all done by hand with a hand powered drill, a Crescent and a pair of pliers. After we had done a couple, we pulled the radius arms around and bolted them to the frame rails a la Hot Rodder. I have no idea as to how all this affected the steering geometry and etc., but we did it, and it worked (to a fashion) on the dirt roads of the day. The worst part of all this was that we still didn't have much in the way of brakes, I never had any luck with mechanical brakes, no matter how much I worked on them. Like I said, probably won't appeal to the Purists, but we did it and had fun, simple solutions for simple minds.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Thursday, November 01, 2018 - 01:48 pm:

Tea, I just got to thinking that you might be interested in checking out some Metro brakes. These used to be very common around the Long Beach area. You can Google deceased, "Ralph Ricks front brakes" and you'll find lots of pictures and more about front brakes on a Model T.

Another period mfg that was not mentioned is the Morton Brake Co. also a rare find.

I do have to say the best Model Brake system I have been in was RDR's T with his metro brakes. They make a very neat Effective and barely noticeable system. Ralph would insist you buckle the seat belt whenever he demonstrated his emergency stopping if you didn't you'd be in the windshield or out of the car!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William Thomas Forsythe on Sunday, November 04, 2018 - 09:22 am:

Back in the spring of '2014 I communicated directly with Ralph Ricks who very generously provided great assistance in my efforts to duplicate his original conception of front hydraulic brakes for our T Fords. "Buckle- up the seat belt"- a for sure!(Mine is the only T in our local club so equipped, since I completed my initial restoration in 2002.)Ralph also stressed the need to install a proper steering box whenever we add front brakes to the T Ford. The rudimentary planetary box beneath the T steering wheel is not adequate to handle unbalanced braking of the front wheels in a panic stop, should the shoes in one side get wet and the order side be dry. The steering wheel could be torn from your hands and the car could turn sharply to the side that grips, possibly flipping the vehicle.Consequently, at Ralph's recommendation I have installed a '37 Ford steering box- with all new components, nicely mated to the 1912 steering column, with a new solid shaft into the steering wheel. With a "Wilwood Proportioning Valve" mounted under the floor, between my rear and front hydraulic brake lines, I've adjusted to about 60% front & 40% rear. Running in modern traffic, these improvements give great comfort and reassurance with the superior steering control and excellent braking. Indeed the work was worth the efforts! A few photos for clarification:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William Thomas Forsythe on Monday, November 05, 2018 - 05:32 pm:

Trying again to include my photos properly! Tom\popjpeg{912460,front hydraulic brakes (1)DSCN0978 (1).jpg (1)DSCN1020 (1).jpg Tom.DSCN0939 (1).jpg

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tea Man on Tuesday, November 06, 2018 - 01:03 am:

Thanks for everyone's suggestions. I am trying to find the type of brake that is in the picture I posted or the name of the company that made them.

From the picture it appears the brakes to be cable activated. I was hoping to find a lead on the name of the company that made them so I can look up any patents they may have had and then to replicate the brakes. I have made brakes for 20's and 30's race cars including casting the shoes and machining the drums.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Grisbee---Cheyenne Wyo on Tuesday, November 06, 2018 - 02:21 pm:

Tea Man, That picture has an adjustable spoke wire wheel,one of the other pics says the brakes are available for Chevys and Overlands,I'm guessing the axle in your picture is on an Overland. A wanted ad in the WOKR Newsletter might bring some results,since most likely,most of the parts would be the same. I've been a member of the Vintage Chevrolet Club for a long time and do not recall any ad or even a mention of accessory front brakes for a pre-28 car. Steve

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Wednesday, November 07, 2018 - 01:26 am:

Tea, You can find patent info for the McNerny

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tea Man on Wednesday, November 07, 2018 - 01:54 am:

Steve, The wheels are House and its a Model T axle. I own the car and the brakes disappeared off the car long time ago. I will look a the Chevy and Olds connection to see if they may have adapted the brakes from another car.

Gene, Thanks for the info I will look into it.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration