Please sell me this tool - engine picker

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Classifieds: Please sell me this tool - engine picker
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Conger - Wyoming on Sunday, October 28, 2018 - 06:38 pm:

This is what I am looking for...Please PM/email me. Thank you.

Photo courtesy of Dan Hatch.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Hatch on Sunday, October 28, 2018 - 07:33 pm:

Good luck Scott: Took me the better part of ten years to find one. And this is the only one I have ever seen. Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry K. Lee on Sunday, October 28, 2018 - 08:44 pm:

Scott,

Would not be that difficult to make one.

Hank

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Travis E. Towle on Sunday, October 28, 2018 - 08:44 pm:

What are you paying for one?

I have the exact tool in my collection right now.

Travis
Topeka, Kansas

785-408-3409

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Travis E. Towle on Sunday, October 28, 2018 - 09:02 pm:

Here is mine. Your lucky it was on top of my shipping box because I just loaded it up yesterday for storage until my museum building is built next year.

Travis Towle

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Conger - Wyoming on Sunday, October 28, 2018 - 09:22 pm:

Travis

I have sent you a PM/email

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By dale w on Sunday, October 28, 2018 - 10:28 pm:

An old set of logging tongs, some torches, an anvil, a welder and 6 inches of 3/4 square bar stock.
Add about an hour of hammering and forming and you could be tripping over an identical tool in no time!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Conger - Wyoming on Sunday, October 28, 2018 - 10:54 pm:

Dale

email me when you're done :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Monday, October 29, 2018 - 02:33 am:

Yeah, I've had a lot of those "one hour" jobs that usually took all day if not two! :-( Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dufault on Monday, October 29, 2018 - 09:11 am:

Rather cool and rainy day here in the great Northeast,NOT AT ALL LIKE THIS

too nasty to do outdoor chores, so I sit here contemplating my navel and the wonders of this Forum.

Yes, there are warts and pimples and some shortcomings here, and there have been many posters who are clamoring for a more "up to date" venue, but when things like the above exchange occur, I can't help but wonder if we had a Forum with numerous subsets, in which one would Scott have posted his request? Whichever "mini-Forum" he posted in, would Travis have seen it and answered? Would dale have chimed in with his solution?

I wonder about a lot of things...those little electrons that run around and thru the wires that make the spark that propels our Ts....a lot of things that maybe could be just a little better, but work so well that I am truly happy with what we have.

After all, we have archaic toys that work well and that we play with ...why not enjoy the Forum that we have? At some point it may come to pass that the "Righteous Ones" may succeed in banning liquid fuel driven vehicles from our roads...then what?
Rainy day wonderings....

May you who live elsewhere enjoy nice, warm, sunny weather!
Cheers.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Monday, October 29, 2018 - 05:10 pm:

There have been discussions appended to classified ads before, so, in the spirit of what David posted above, I hope more than a few of our members will heed his wise advice ! As for what we'll do when liquid fuels are banned or have become obsolete ? A Model T will run jes' fine on moonshine !! : )

These items seem very scarce, so there's probably not much chance to compare them, or discuss differences. The "legs" on the item Travis has appear to be much longer than the one in Scott's photo. ?? Why ??

A cool item to own, I'd probably just get by with a lariat, a length of corral pole and a couple of reasonably stout buddies. To make one ? There's nothing quite so time-consuming as a ten-minute job; more wisdom, "Never take a shortcut unless you have plenty of time." ; - )

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By dale w on Monday, October 29, 2018 - 05:48 pm:

Today I went looking for a set of tongs that I swore I hung in the crook of a tree out back, but couldnt find them.
I think I spent more time looking around for them than it woulda taken to modify them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Travis E. Towle on Monday, October 29, 2018 - 10:21 pm:

Rich I think the legs looking longer on mine is because of the photo angle his was taken at. Mine looks to be identical. I will get it out and post some more photos tomorrow.

Travis

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Grisbee---Cheyenne Wyo on Monday, October 29, 2018 - 11:40 pm:

I think I saw one of those up at my uncles in S. Dakota when I was a kid and he called it a "skunk carrier".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Conger - Wyoming on Tuesday, October 30, 2018 - 09:42 am:

Travis

I misplaced your email, so have sent you email through PM system

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joe Andulics on Tuesday, October 30, 2018 - 10:06 am:

Used a similar item daily in a tool & die shop. Looks like it could be easily modified, if originality wasn't an issue?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Travis E. Towle on Wednesday, October 31, 2018 - 07:06 pm:

As promised here are more photos.

My asking price is set at 350.00 with free shipping in the USA if you are interested. PayPal for payment if you can do that, if not let me know.

Travis

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Travis E. Towle on Wednesday, October 31, 2018 - 09:27 pm:

^ my tool has been sold.

Travis

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Conger - Wyoming on Wednesday, October 31, 2018 - 10:00 pm:

Ironic that I advertise for a tool, find it, make an offer to the owner, wait for a response while he researches value, never hear back, and then find it sells online. To someone else. On my own ad. Go figure.

Congratulations Travis, and to the buyer as well. I am sure you are both very pleased.

To hell with it. Need to spend more time in the shop.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Kramer,Woodstock,Ontario,Canada on Thursday, November 01, 2018 - 12:49 am:

You would have thought.If a person makes an offer below the asking price,the seller should have responded to you,telling you what he would accept for the item.Hopefully someone has an engine picker that you can purchase.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan B on Thursday, November 01, 2018 - 07:08 am:

Wow, I had a feeling it was going to happen that way. Sorry, Scott.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Strickling on Thursday, November 01, 2018 - 07:26 am:

I've had that happen twice. While I expressed interest and was asking questions on condition, the seller took the easy way out and sold it to someone else, knowing I was truly interested and I am sure I was first to respond. NO CLASS

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Kirtley on Thursday, November 01, 2018 - 03:28 pm:

Hi Scott. I have a friend that will let give you one for $165.00 including shipping. I’ve me shout if you are interested. Don

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jon Crane on Thursday, November 01, 2018 - 05:45 pm:

Way to step up Don. Hobby is full of good people.
Jon

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Conger - Wyoming on Thursday, November 01, 2018 - 07:01 pm:

Don

PM/email sent.
That is mighty nice of you and your friend.

regards,

scott

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Conger - Wyoming on Thursday, November 01, 2018 - 08:12 pm:

It appears that this story will conclude with a happy ending. Needless to say, I have to give a huge shout-out to Don for facilitating my purchase of this device. I have been in contact with the owner and it appears that a sale is pending my getting payment to him.

Don: THANK YOU!! THANK YOU, THANK YOU.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dufault on Thursday, November 01, 2018 - 08:40 pm:

Again I say...

If this Forum had a "whole bunch of sub menus" I find it hard to believe that this exchange would have happened.

Nice Forum the way it is...

Hard to beat an old, reliable peanut Butter & Jelly sandwich on warm toast on a cold day. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry K. Lee on Thursday, November 01, 2018 - 09:23 pm:

Scott,

If for some reason that one does not bare the fruit, Let me know and have Dan Hatch make a profile draft on paper of the one he has with dimensions, and for the hell of it I'll make you one.

All the Best,

Hank in Tin-A-See

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Conger - Wyoming on Thursday, November 01, 2018 - 09:59 pm:

Hank

:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Cibolo, Texas on Thursday, November 01, 2018 - 11:29 pm:

Dang, I saw one of those in a country antique shop, and didn't snap to what it was. I could use one, and the one that I passed on was cheap.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan B on Friday, November 02, 2018 - 07:10 am:

Terry - Let me guess...it was probably advertised as an ice picker.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ben Umberger on Friday, November 02, 2018 - 09:33 pm:

Ok I'm probably not the only one who is not sure what it is for.

Embarrassed

Ben

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Conger - Wyoming on Friday, November 02, 2018 - 09:39 pm:

Hi Ben

It is used instead of screwing an eye-bolt into a spark plug hole, using a sling, or mounting a leveler bar across head bolts.

One side clamps to/around a cylinder wall under the water jacket and the other finger slips under the water jacket, too. Lifting the ring creates a clamping action.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ben Umberger on Friday, November 02, 2018 - 10:46 pm:

Now I realize I have seen it before and knew at the time how it worked. I won’t forget this time

This forum is wonderful

Ben

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Grisbee---Cheyenne Wyo on Saturday, November 03, 2018 - 12:06 am:

Scott,I was going to run down to Loveland Sunday morning for an HCCA club breakfast and then go a little farther down to Dave Huson's to see if he had one available but looks like you're going to come up with one. Good deal. Steve

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Raynor in Southampton on Saturday, November 03, 2018 - 06:42 am:

I would also like to buy one and would like to do the four engine swaps I need to do safely. If someone here would still have one for sale it would be greatly appreciated to get a email or PM from you and it will be made available for the same price here when I am done with it Thank You—Craig

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Conger - Wyoming on Saturday, November 03, 2018 - 09:58 am:

Steve

that was a nice offer...thank you. Hello to you and say "hi" to Dave for me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Holman on Saturday, November 03, 2018 - 12:46 pm:

If anyone is planning on fabricating a engine lifting tool like this,do a search for pole tongs or skidding tongs. With a little alteration......

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Conger - Wyoming on Saturday, November 10, 2018 - 06:55 pm:

And finally, the device has arrived and it is beautiful!

Thank you to Don for finding it...
Thank you to Greg for selling it...
Thank you Hank and others for offer to fabricate one and suggestions to modify...
Thank you MTFCA for the venue to search for it!

I am a very happy guy.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Saturday, November 10, 2018 - 06:57 pm:

Can't wait for the picture of it in action! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dufault on Saturday, November 10, 2018 - 07:05 pm:

Scott, in a nice world -
"what goes around comes around" ,
no?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Conger - Wyoming on Saturday, November 10, 2018 - 07:26 pm:

David
PM sent...I think this certainly went in directions that no one could have predicted, that's for sure. It's all good.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dufault on Saturday, November 10, 2018 - 08:42 pm:

Yes,

Something good back to one who has given good to others....or something like that.

Cheers

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry K. Lee on Saturday, November 10, 2018 - 09:39 pm:

Scott,

Life is WAY too damn short and our experiences professional and personal are shared one way or another. As others have said, " Those that have given of themselves, will be rewarded'. Just life, Welcome to the real human race.

All the Best,

Hank in Tin-A-See

P.S. Mean people really suck.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert G. Hester Jr., Riverview, FL on Sunday, November 11, 2018 - 08:25 am:

Good morning, Scott. I'm glad things worked out for you with the engine picker. We held our little backroads tour for the Suncoast T Club out from our place yesterday. Wish you and Althea had been with us. Regards, Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Conger - Wyoming on Sunday, November 11, 2018 - 09:54 am:

Hi Bob

we miss you guys and wish you all the best...I'll bet it was a great drive as always.

If you or anyone else in the club ever find your way to Yellowstone NP, you are welcome to visit!

Tell everyone we said "Hi"

The shop is OPEN.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Sunday, November 11, 2018 - 10:00 am:

This is for Mark Strange:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Sunday, November 11, 2018 - 02:15 pm:

Cool. What cool way to even keep your spare motor.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Conger - Wyoming on Sunday, November 11, 2018 - 02:31 pm:

Ref: pages 29 and 30 for use and dimensions for those wishing to fabricate. This is a wonderful book and I have used a number of sketches to make very useful tools for my shop.

Modern Methods of Ford Repairing...You can find this on line...Hopefully some of you can put this book to good use.

https://books.google.com/books?id=RauEAAAAIAAJ&pg=PA7&lpg=PA7&dq=modern+methods+ of+ford+repairing&source=bl&ots=u2u_NtNSAh&sig=pDr15sKgtSgMpMJfQxcWtV6Xjdk&hl=en &sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiU17nbic3eAhVoyVQKHYnbBN0Q6AEwAnoECAgQAQ#v=onepage&q=modern%20m ethods%20of%20ford%20repairing&f=false

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Nunn, Bennington NE on Monday, November 12, 2018 - 08:48 am:

Scott, Modern Methods of Ford Repairing is also on Mitch Taylor's website in pdf format. I've used this book many times.

https://www.fordmodelt.net/downloads/Modern_Methods_of_Ford_Repairing.pdf

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Kirtley on Monday, November 12, 2018 - 11:05 am:

Hi Scott glad it all worked out for you. Hope to meet you someday. Don

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Conger - Wyoming on Monday, November 12, 2018 - 11:46 am:

Same here, Don. We're just NE of Yellowstone. Have hosted several "broken" T's coming out of the Park. You don't have to be broken to visit, though!

Best Regards,

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Husa on Monday, November 12, 2018 - 12:05 pm:

Amazon has the book for less than $12.00!
Good deal

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration