PARTS NEEDED-ORIGINAL 26-27 WIRING HARNESSES WITH FORD SCRIPT TAGS

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Classifieds: PARTS NEEDED-ORIGINAL 26-27 WIRING HARNESSES WITH FORD SCRIPT TAGS
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By BRENT MIZE on Monday, October 29, 2018 - 05:00 pm:

Hi guys,
Iím in need of a set of harnesses with the Ford Script tags for a show car project. If you have the tags, thatís great too. I believe I need two or three tags or harnesses.
Thanks,
Brent Mize

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Tuesday, October 30, 2018 - 02:41 am:

Brent, Henrietta had all three tags on her looms when I bought her.The two under the hood were aluminium, the one under the cowl, brass. I put them back into the replacement looms. Somewhere I have a spare aluminium tag but it could be years before I stumble over it again. The brass ones hold up much better.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Tuesday, October 30, 2018 - 11:08 am:

Brent

Just the tags is all you will need, any original wire looms will be stiff, busted inside and poor electrical.

And 'for show' or what really shows is only the commutator loom and the wiring loom on a '26. The switch loom is hidden behind the fire wall / gas tank and no one will see it :-)

Note the Parts Book illustration where the Ford tag goes, I put them on my '26 by two razor slits in the loom at each end and slipping in the tag. A tiny bit of adhesive on the back side of the tag to keep it there.

Now if you want to get real, remove the modern shrink tubing on the ends to the terminal block, Ford didn't put any on these terminals. The switch end did get rubber tubing as the back of the switch is crowded! Original Ford plain fork terminals are a tad larger than modern.

Sent you a PM about a tag.

My '26 with added tags where they show.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Tuesday, October 30, 2018 - 05:41 pm:

Dan, our Canadian tags are of a little different shape. One end is slightly longer and is tapered. When I fitted mine, rather than cut the loom cover a bit, I gently persuaded the weave apart to take the tab. By bending the tab into a U shape first, the wide end was inserted into the parted weave and then the narrower, tapered end was introduced into a similar parting and the tab pressed down flat. This saves any chance of fraying.

You are absolutely correct about original wiring needing to be replaced. On Henrietta the rubber insulation was rock hard and any attempt to shift a wire resulted in the insulation crumbling. I saved the original looms just for reference. Now I just have to wait for the terminals to weather a bit so they don't stand out so much!

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Wednesday, October 31, 2018 - 10:53 am:

I had my looms custom made by Y n Z's in Redlands, California. I provided them with original Ford looms for patterns. They were able to weave the tags into the new looms just like Ford did. Unless something has changed, the open car terminal block to switch looms are way too long. I had mine made the correct length.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan McEachern on Sunday, November 04, 2018 - 07:58 pm:

Brent- I just found a harness with the Ford tag and I believe I have another tag. If you still have a need, send me a PM. Dan

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration