Ready for the DMV Almost - Coupelet

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Classifieds: Ready for the DMV Almost - Coupelet
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Philip Berg on Sunday, November 11, 2018 - 03:29 pm:

Next Friday I take my coupelet to California DMV for inspection and registration. My grandfather was adamant that the coupelet was a 1915 but it has port windows. With a engine serial number of 970533, this would indicate a November of 1915 build.

The current title I have from my mother says 1915, should I leave it or change it to 1916?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Sunday, November 11, 2018 - 04:07 pm:

The Illinois title that I got with my January 1924 built car said it was a 1923.

I chose to leave it that way when I registered it in Missouri, one less thing to have to explain to the DMV.

As one of my old bosses once told me:

"When you're explaining, you're losing." :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry & Sharon Miller, Westminster, CO on Sunday, November 11, 2018 - 04:28 pm:

Philip,

Leave it as a 1915 on the paperwork. Just tell everyone it's a 1916 model, which is the truth. I believe the concept of "model year" was pretty foreign to them back then and most everything was registered as to build date, which was printed proof of when it the item was built.

Good Luck,
Terry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Davis. Tomball Texas on Sunday, November 11, 2018 - 04:33 pm:

Philip. Check with a auto title company they can get it changed to a 1916 if it can be done.and they can probably do the inspection too without having to haul it to the DMV ? They deal with the DMV daily and know all the tricks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Humble Northern Michigan on Sunday, November 11, 2018 - 04:55 pm:

Philip, you are over thinking this. A nov 1915 s/n is a 1915, and should be a 1915 on the title. It may be a 1916 model year, but it is a 1915 year of manufacture. Dmv will not care that it has 1916 features, they care what the year of manufacture is.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Philip Berg on Sunday, November 11, 2018 - 06:08 pm:

Thanks for the replies, looks like I posted in the wrong forum :-(.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joe Konarowski on Sunday, November 11, 2018 - 07:45 pm:

More desirable with the HCCA being a 1915 where a 1916 is not eligible for their events.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Sunday, November 11, 2018 - 08:28 pm:

Stay away from the California DMV!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Monday, November 12, 2018 - 02:03 am:

Phillip,
LARRY IS RIGHT! You have a title--DO NOT take it to the DMV for "Inspection" DO NOT tell them you restored it, as that will complicate things. DO be ready to fill out a Non-Operation Statement that it was not operated on the streets or public roads from whenever to now. The clerk may argue the point, but a 1915 car (as well as almost all collectible cars) is exempt from the modern "no non-operation" laws. Since you are transferring within immediate family, you don't need a sales price, and the transfer should be fairly easy--but I would still consider using a title service.
I have titled many antique cars in California, for over 50 years now, I do not give out this advice without a LOT of experience dealing with the DMV. Please do not take the advice lightly, or you may open a very large can of worms.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Philip Berg on Monday, November 12, 2018 - 08:27 am:

I titled my 11 two years ago with the DMV and had no issues. I didn't restore my coupelet, just fixed it. I do have a title also, I'll just leave it as a 15 then to prevent complications.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Greg Cosner on Monday, November 12, 2018 - 11:42 am:

I use AAA for car transfers. I purchased a 1915 T out of state(Nevada) which required a vin number inspection. AAA inspected the number in the parking lot. NO problems, avoid the California DMV when ever possible. Leave the title as 1915.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Monday, November 12, 2018 - 12:14 pm:

Listen to David D. His advice is sound. This is definitely a situation where less is more!! If it comes up, the car has not been running for "years". You "repaired" it and now want to bring the registration current. End of story.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Nebelsky on Monday, November 12, 2018 - 09:53 pm:

I agree wholeheartedly with Greg. I have used AAA for all four of my cars and had no problems whatsoever. Avoid the DMV whenever possible.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration