WTB.. Guts to a Stewart Model 114A Horn

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Classifieds: WTB.. Guts to a Stewart Model 114A Horn
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Max Lindsay on Monday, November 12, 2018 - 02:59 pm:

I've got a Stewart horn with a few broken teeth on one gear. I'm looking to see if anyone has the innards they'd like to sell from the same model horn.

Also, anyone ever try to take the gears apart? What kind of disaster am I seeing myself up for? Hahaha

It's a model 114A horn.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Max Lindsay on Tuesday, November 13, 2018 - 10:36 pm:

Anyone... anyone... Bueller... anyone...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Juhl - Michigan's Thumb on Saturday, November 17, 2018 - 09:45 pm:

Can't help you, sorry. If you decide your horn can't be fixed I have a friend who needs the bell part to repair his.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Max Lindsay on Saturday, November 17, 2018 - 10:04 pm:

Thanks for the word, Tim.

Still looking for guts!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Max Lindsay on Thursday, November 22, 2018 - 09:35 pm:

Bueller... anyone... anyone...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tyler Ray WNC on Thursday, November 29, 2018 - 04:49 pm:

Max, thereís a parts horn on eBay right now for $29.00 obo. Might have what you need. Looks like the drive wheel for the actuator is toast, but otherwise may be ok. Check it out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Conger - Wyoming on Thursday, November 29, 2018 - 06:46 pm:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-Stewart-Warning-Signal-Car-Horn-Ford-A-T-Model- 114-A-Ooga-Parts-Rat-Rod/382648063282?hash=item59179a1532:g:U3wAAOSw0xtb~Uh1:rk: 2:pf:0

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Max Lindsay on Tuesday, December 04, 2018 - 10:44 pm:

Many thanks, Scott and Tyler. I'm just bought the parts and I'm thinking about buying that horn as well!

I could see from the photos that the same gear was in just-as-bad shape, BUT I may be able to cut one up and silver solder a section in (yeah... right!). ha ha ha.

Regardless, btt to see if anything else is out there!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Conger - Wyoming on Tuesday, December 04, 2018 - 10:59 pm:

Max

silver solder is great at many things, but on small brass parts which see a lot of stress, you may find that all that heat could lead to loss of strength of brass parts...if they are indeed brass parts. They may well be pot metal. I'm going to include a picture of a decent repair of a clock gear which the repairman used (I suppose from it's looks) soft solder. It is not my work...the picture was lifted from another document for illustrative purposes. It may give you an idea of what can be done, with care. It will work with the torque a small gear gives/receives, but will not typically work on a pinion which sees tremendous torque (for it's size). I don't recall if you had a pinion or gear problem...:-(

I rarely suggest something like this, but silver solder, like I said, takes huge heat, is not something easily done without much practice, and often leads to more damage than it fixes in a case such as yours.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Max Lindsay on Thursday, December 06, 2018 - 08:06 pm:

Hey Scott, thanks for sharing! Looks like they did nice work! Not sure if I have that level of gift, but Iím going to give it a try. Iíve got a box of parts on its way that I purchased from eBay... the day before I saw you post about that horn. Many thanks for sending that and not sure how my searches missed it. Needless to say, it is also on the way. 😀

The gear set looks to be in good shape. Iím hoping that turning them isnít going to involve any surprises! If it does, Iíll just have more parts to Frankenstein and experiment with! Mwuahaha!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration