OT Looking for Inter-State Automobile company parts

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Classifieds: OT Looking for Inter-State Automobile company parts
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott on Saturday, December 01, 2018 - 10:50 pm:

I have a 1916 Inter-State Roadster body shell. It is missing everything. I figured I could at least try and see if anyone here has any parts related to Inter-State cars. I am missing everything. If you have anything I might be interested in please PM me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Sunday, December 02, 2018 - 02:46 am:

google search "1916 Inter-State Roadster" netted a lot of views with photos that might help id at least some parts. In fact I was surprised how much was there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Sunday, December 02, 2018 - 08:51 am:

There used to be an Inter-state catalog on ebay.
I know some one who has an Inter-state car. When I first saw it from a distance in a garage it looked like a Model T Ford.
I just looked. There is 33 Interstate items on ebay . Mostly paper things.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott on Sunday, December 02, 2018 - 07:28 pm:

Yeah I saw all the paper items. I am hoping someone out there might have real parts or something I could use. I would love to find a radiator shell especially.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Grisbee---Cheyenne Wyo on Monday, December 03, 2018 - 12:15 am:

Scott,According to the Complete encyclopedia of Motorcars a 4cyl Beaver motor was used 1913-18,maybe you know that already. There are seven Inter-states listed in the 2015 HCCA roster,the latest one is 1914. That's where I would start by contacting all those owners. If you really want to complete it,I hope you're a young man. I have three or four unidentified front axles around that era,some unknown hubs if you get that far. Maybe something would work. Many people that have piles of stuff may have just what you need and not know it. Get an illustrated parts book so you can show pictures. Those cars were made in Muncie In,contact regional branches of national clubs there. How about posting a pic of the body? Good Luck.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Monday, December 03, 2018 - 07:23 pm:

Finding parts is the hard part. As Steve G says, a lot of people will have parts and not know it. Sadly, in recent years our wonderful government has been subsidizing scrapping of rusty stuff, and a lot of valuable pieces have been and are being sent to China to be melted down.
You should try to contact owners of Inter-state motor cars, as Steve G also said. Also contact a couple of the research libraries. I like the Horseless Carriage Foundation Inc (HCFI) myself. The AACA has a good research library also, and believe it or not, the National Automotive Museum in Reno Nevada (the remains of Bill Harrah's collection) also has much of Harrah's research library. I visited there a couple years ago, and they had information on their counters for research requests. Any of those should be able to be found through google.
The main thing you would want to find out is cross reference information. Most of the lesser known marques of automobiles those years used parts from common suppliers. Beaver was one of a dozen companies that supplied motors to dozens of automobile manufacturers in those years. Mott (became Weston-Mott) was a company that supplied many parts including front axles and rear ends for many cars including many Buick models (the 1910 Fuller I used to have had a rear end that was almost identical to one used by several Buick models). I don't know who may have made the components for Inter-state, but if you can find that out, and then find some interchange information on who else used them? You could go a long way to finding the pieces you would need.
The frame itself will likely be the most difficult piece to get. You would likely have to find something close, and modify it. That sort of thing has been done more often than most restorers like to admit.
If the roadster body you have is in fairly good shape? Another option may be to find a chassis of some other car that offered a very similar roadster style, and adapt the body to fit that car.
Maybe you can post some pictures of it here? I am sure a few people here would like to see it. Regardless, good luck with your quest! I do like to see the lesser known cars resurrected so that they can be driven, enjoyed, and seen.
Even if absolute correctness cannot be achieved.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott on Tuesday, December 04, 2018 - 02:25 am:

I will try and post some pictures of it tomorrow. It is a bit rough and only a shell but I couldnít stand seeing it sitting outside in the Oregon rain so I rescued it and a 1920 Cadillac Phaeton body. They are long term projects. I am 43 so I have time to search for stuff. Worst case someone could always build a hot rod out of these bodies. I am aiming to go stock if I get lucky.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren F Rollins on Tuesday, December 04, 2018 - 03:55 pm:

There was a Interstate touring car in a garage on a farm outside Tucker Georgia back in the fifties. The farm was deserted and later turned into a subdivision. Always wondered what happened to it. One story was that it was stolen and vanished. Another was that it was pulled out of the garage and left to the elements. Then junked. I hadn't thought of that in years. Anyone around Atlanta heard of it? Only one I ever saw. Hood and radiator shell were missing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Grisbee---Cheyenne Wyo on Tuesday, December 04, 2018 - 08:17 pm:

Scott,I'm guessing the reason you have a roadster body is because someone made a trailer out of the chassis after the engine crapped out. Maybe it's still lurking around somewhere in the vicinity. There is usually someone in every community that has collected lots of stuff over many decades but who is it in your area? Local AACA & HCCA members might know something. Also,it might be time to consider Plan B. In your searching around you may run into someone that is up to their eyeballs in Inter-states and would dearly love to have that body. Would you sell it to a good home? Something to consider. Also I have a 1918 Cadillac roadster project,one of the few that survived the divorce and have collected lots of stuff. I do have a 1920-21 frame and axles,25" Kelsey wheels that are rough,maybe a radiator and shell and some engine parts. PM me if interested. Steve

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott on Wednesday, December 05, 2018 - 01:11 am:

Steve I sent you a message.

I would consider selling the body if there was someone who needed it. Itís not much to look at but here is a picture of it
Is body 1

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott on Wednesday, December 05, 2018 - 01:19 am:

I canít seem to post any other pictures because they are too big. I will try to load more tomorrow

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration