Remember Pearl Harbor day

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Classifieds: Remember Pearl Harbor day
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas Landers NE Indiana on Friday, December 07, 2018 - 06:47 am:

Honoring a lot of brave men and women from the greatest generation!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry & Sharon Miller, Westminster, CO on Friday, December 07, 2018 - 07:34 am:

We have a submarine reunion every other year. This year was the first time we have not had a WWII sub vet at the reunion. I do not see it to be very likely there will be one at the next reunion in 2020.

The vets from this submarine are some of the least known heroes from that war. On their maiden mission, they stalked and single handedly sunk the Japanese aircraft carrier Shokaku. No one knows about this carrier. REVENGE: She was one of the carriers that launched planes attacking Pearl Harbor. The story they told of that mission would scare the crap out of many. These boys took 99 depth charges in just over an hour's time AND lived to tell about it. And we think we're men today. 99 depth charges is something no one should have to endure.

God Bless all that HAVE and ARE in our military forces.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William Hoffer on Friday, December 07, 2018 - 08:33 am:

Amen.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hanlon N.E.Ohio on Friday, December 07, 2018 - 08:38 am:

Honor and respect !!
Why'd you put this in the classifieds, Dallas ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Friday, December 07, 2018 - 09:00 am:

The sad thing is there are only 5 survivors of Pearl Harbor, and due to their ages- 90+, none were able to make the trip to attend the memorial.

This important part of our history is soon destined to be totally forgotten, as so many of today's generation just don't care.

On a side note, what a beautiful, emotional second funeral for Geo. H.W. Bush, I missed the first one. And he went to his final resting place in style!

God Bless America my friends.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas Landers NE Indiana on Friday, December 07, 2018 - 09:22 am:

Too early in the morning Dave. Wish I could move it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By dale w on Friday, December 07, 2018 - 09:59 am:

Dallas,
Sorry- I didnt see this one until I posted a similar one in the forum.

As the survivors dwindle its sad to see the dearth of even acknowledgement of the attack in the press. My local paper had a postage stamp sized "Remember Pearl Harbor" logo on the front page, but nothing inside the paper to mark this day.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Friday, December 07, 2018 - 11:18 am:

Put out my flag an hour ago.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Friday, December 07, 2018 - 12:05 pm:

I don't mind it here. We all make mistakes. This is the anniversary of my first marriage. Also a best friend's Birthday.
Some of us who didn't serve our country can only learn and imagine the sacrifices others made.
My gratitude to those who did and those who tell the stories.
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas Landers NE Indiana on Friday, December 07, 2018 - 12:06 pm:

Thats why I posted Dale, not a word on the morning new. I just got in a hurry and posted in wrong place.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Darel J. Leipold on Friday, December 07, 2018 - 12:28 pm:

On that Sunday my father and family were riding in his 1938 Packard when around one p.m.he turned on the radio and an announcer was reporting that the Japanese had actacked Pear Harbor. I was nine years old. Two uncles served during WWII. I was in the regular US Army - active and then Ready Reserves 1950-56.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Keller on Friday, December 07, 2018 - 04:47 pm:

I asked my 13 yo son today if they mentioned that it was Pearl Harbor Day in school. Shockingly he said YES!. The Social Studies teacher went into depth about Pearl Harbor and the events leading up to WWII. Lest we forget their sacrifices.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Conger - Wyoming on Friday, December 07, 2018 - 05:52 pm:

My grandfather was a 38 y/o medical doctor reconscripted into the military. Sent to Corregedor with only a sidearm October 1940. He said in a letter to my grandmother "prepare for war".

If you know what happened to those folks you will know that he had to have turned into a hard SOB to last out the war. Corregedor to Bataan then to Japan on a death ship. He testified at the Japanese War Crimes Trial. Never spoke a word to me. Ever. Didn't know anything about it until after his death and I went through saved correspondence between him and my grandmother (prior to attack), and the few highly redacted Red Cross letters that made it through from prison camp. The book "Barbed Wire Surgeon" details these soldiers plight. He was described as "Gentle Dr. Bxxxxxxxxxx". Pictures of him immediately post captivity make you wonder how he did not go off the deep end.

Our nation owes it's highest gratitude to our Vets.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Shukert on Friday, December 07, 2018 - 08:08 pm:

God Bless them all!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry K. Lee on Friday, December 07, 2018 - 08:16 pm:

The Greatest Generation, Period. We can only walk in their footsteps. The hardships they incurred and that time in history no one will ever know, unless you lived it. We can only talk about it, imagine what it was like. God Bless Them All!

All the Best,

Hank

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Emering - Newton, New Jersey on Saturday, December 08, 2018 - 01:33 pm:

My dad, Edward John Emering Jr. was at Pearl Harbour.
His army jacket still hangs in my closet.
He passed away 1n 1986 as part of the greatest generation.

May God Bless and always remember the incredible sacrifices these brave men and women made.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration