WTB - Sparton SU Horn

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Classifieds: WTB - Sparton SU Horn
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don - Conroe, TX on Saturday, December 08, 2018 - 01:19 pm:

Looking to buy a Sparton horn that makes the complete "ahooga" sound. Mark Osterman has a Sparton SU that sounds perfect.

I have the Model T "sick duck" horn on my car and will keep it there, but my wife and daughter also want the "ahooga" horn. I filled a hole that was already in my dashboard with a vintage button that will operate the extra horn.

Please let me know what you have. It'll go to a good home and a car that I'll never sell.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Stubenvoll on Sunday, December 09, 2018 - 12:41 pm:

Hello Don,
I had the same sick duck sound and opted for a Model A horn. They are easy to rebuild and almost everything is available aftermarket. I even used the stock mounting bracket after repositioning. You can see the horn under the drivers side headlight mount. No holes, nothing altered, but the classic aahhhoooggaaaa sound. If you try it, start spinning it one way, then reverse the polarity and see which way is the loudest.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don - Conroe, TX on Sunday, December 09, 2018 - 09:06 pm:

Your car is gorgeous Dave. The horn looks like it belongs there.

I like the absurdity of the "sick duck" horn and want to keep it. I'm just going to add an ahooga as an additional horn. I have the Model T horn hooked up to the original horn button and have another button situated in a hole that was in the dashboard when I bought the car. I'll use that to run the ahooga horn, which I'll probably mount under the car somewhere.

I've heard in a few different places that the el-cheapo plastic 12V ahooga horns (that you can find online) actually produce a pretty decent AH-OO-GA sound if you run them on 6V. I'm getting to the point where I'm about to gamble the $25, that one costs, and give it a try.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Stubenvoll on Sunday, December 09, 2018 - 09:21 pm:

Thanks for the compliment Don!
Please let us all know how the modern horn performs. I don’t know if it’s a motor style or if it simply emits a “canned” sound. Would be pretty neat if it works on 6 volts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don - Conroe, TX on Sunday, December 09, 2018 - 09:55 pm:

Okay...I just pulled the trigger on the $25 horn that Summit Racing sells.

I admit that I have low expectations.

If it turns out to be completely worthless, my teenage son has already stated that he'd be happy to mount it under the hood of the old 4Runner that he drives to school. So...it won't be a complete loss. I'm going to keep a good thought however, and believe that the internet rumors, of it running well on 6V, are true.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Severn - SE Texas on Monday, December 10, 2018 - 11:49 am:

Don,

I bought one of those type of horns from an auto parts store. It was mostly plastic. Mounted it under the hood of my 1921 center door. It worked fine but the flared end of the horn began to melt in the under-hood heat.

Bill

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don - Conroe, TX on Tuesday, December 11, 2018 - 08:36 am:

Bill...I have low expectations for this experiment.

If it makes a decent sound, the plan is to paint it flat black and mount it under the car somewhere, out of sight.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don - Conroe, TX on Tuesday, December 11, 2018 - 09:02 pm:

I started a new thread on this, but here's the video showing the cheap horn from Summit Racing, in action.

When it arrived, I hooked it up to my old battery charger that has settings for both 6 and 12 volts. In the video below, I first test the horn on 12V, then on 6V.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEU74ZGL4BM

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration