1915 FS craigslist

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Classifieds: 1915 FS craigslist
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Michaelree on Sunday, December 09, 2018 - 11:12 am:

https://stlouis.craigslist.org/cto/d/1915-ford-model-addition/6766713892.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Sunday, December 09, 2018 - 11:17 am:

Nice price. Get running and drive as is

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Emering - Newton, New Jersey on Sunday, December 09, 2018 - 12:15 pm:

Wow,
Without knowing more information, certainly seems like a really good price.
Be very careful of a possible scam.
Do not wire or send money.
Pick up in person only!!!

Gene

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Sunday, December 09, 2018 - 12:26 pm:

Even though I have one I love seeing these. There are several charming aspects it has that mine doesn't.
Thanks for sharing.
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry K. Lee on Sunday, December 09, 2018 - 12:27 pm:

‘‘Tis the Season to Get Reamed, Falla, Falla, La”

Hank

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Michaelree on Sunday, December 09, 2018 - 12:32 pm:

Other than not having a title, it's an enticing ad. No connection, just passing it on. I hope I have not assisted a scammer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Emering - Newton, New Jersey on Sunday, December 09, 2018 - 02:04 pm:

It's a shame that what could be a legitimate listing, must be approached as a possible scam, but it's the world we're living in.

Gene

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Conger - Wyoming on Sunday, December 09, 2018 - 02:48 pm:

A VIN search by local PD and a one way plane ticket and U-Haul trailer is certainly worth investing in for that purchase price. If I was in the market, that thing would be in storage 1 hour after my arrival, awaiting proper shipping.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Conger - Wyoming on Sunday, December 09, 2018 - 02:57 pm:

I purchased this for the similar $$$, though it did have a title but was not running and had not run even when purchased by last owner in 1978. It was a good buy, but not outstanding given the mechanical risks involved. I wish I had put the hood on for this photo...it was it's maiden run after eight 10 hour days of steady work. An expensive addition to the purchase price had I not done it all myself. Last owner put on a new top, new tires (1979), jacked it up and there it sat.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Conger - Wyoming on Sunday, December 09, 2018 - 03:03 pm:

Oh, and oddly enough (or not so oddly, given his state), while the owner had dementia, and I bought from the wife and brother, with the gentleman's blessing such as it was, between the time I first saw it and finally picked it up, the headlight rims, glass and reflectors were removed and sold with other parts to another gentleman. By enormous coincidence, we met and he sold the rims to me for a very nominal price. They still had yet to be reunited with the car at time of picture.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Elliott on Sunday, December 09, 2018 - 05:23 pm:

It does have an Idaho license plate on the back.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob McDaniel Logansport Indiana on Wednesday, December 12, 2018 - 07:21 pm:

Anyone on here check this one out or buy it?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joe Kowalczyk - Nampa Idaho on Wednesday, December 12, 2018 - 10:07 pm:

Yes, I wrote the seller and they responded the car is actually in Illinois across the state line a few miles. They have owned the vehicle for the past nine years, it hasn't run in two years. I asked why it had Idaho License plate on it and they told me they didn't know the history of the vehicle. Seemed friendly and responded quickly to my several messages. That's about it, too far from me in Idaho to check it out.

Joe

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Michaelree on Thursday, December 13, 2018 - 01:07 am:

I guess it sold. The ad has been deleted.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve McClelland on Thursday, December 13, 2018 - 01:30 am:

It did sell, I was going to buy it but I already have one 15 so a young man went and looked at and took it home with him on Tuesday night he got a Great deal on seemingly a Great Model T. I'm sure he'll be posting on Forum soon. So another one has been bitten with the T-bug.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Emering - Newton, New Jersey on Thursday, December 13, 2018 - 08:38 am:

Steve,

Did you see the car in person?
Do you know for sure that the listing was legit?
Just curious.

Thanks,

Gene

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Elliot Schneider on Thursday, December 13, 2018 - 09:15 am:

Gentlemen... I am new to the Model T world with Herb Iffrig as my mentor, I purchased the car on Tuesday. It was not a scam! The car is in excellent shape and with the help of the MTFCA Encyclopedia and a judging book its about 95% correct. A few odds and ends that aren't right. The engine casting numbers match the S/N and she has great compression. Will need a fuel tank but we plan to make some noise with her tonight.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Stubenvoll on Thursday, December 13, 2018 - 09:39 am:

Good for you!!!
Welcome to the hobby, I hope you enjoy it for a very long time!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas Landers NE Indiana on Thursday, December 13, 2018 - 10:05 am:

Is buying a 103 year old used car really a good idea????
You be! Welcome to this T thing. This is the greatest site for any help you may need. Herb will be a great help.
We like photos!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Elliot Schneider on Thursday, December 13, 2018 - 10:47 am:

Here she sits in her new home

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob McDaniel Logansport Indiana on Thursday, December 13, 2018 - 10:49 am:

I am glad someone got a good deal but sad that Dee sold the car out from under my wife and I. We had made the deal on Sunday to pick this car up this weekend for my wife to drive next summer. I don't trust this woman that sold the car with no title if her word is no better than this. At least now I know it was the deal I had felt it might be.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Michaelree on Thursday, December 13, 2018 - 11:07 am:

"Make some noise" I love it! Some of us think it's music. Glad it found a good home. Congrats!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob McDaniel Logansport Indiana on Thursday, December 13, 2018 - 11:16 am:

Elliot,

I do not want you to take what I posted the wrong way. You had no idea the car was sold when you looked at it and it was nothing you did wrong but the seller knew better. I had a long talk with the seller about this sort of thing Sunday and she told me she would hold the car till Sat. when my wife could come along to see her new car in person when we picked it up.

You got a great deal on a nice car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Conger - Wyoming on Thursday, December 13, 2018 - 11:24 am:

Bob

that is really too bad. Most of us have experienced similar, one way or another. For that price, and your knowledge of the hobby I'm sure you would have consummated the deal. However, taking the seller's perspective, though it was an ethical lapse to promise to you and then sell it to someone else... cash in hand today is always a stronger enticement than a promise of payment tomorrow, particularly given some of the lookie-loos who invariably come around, pick a car apart and then expect the owner to beg them to take it off their hands. I do not think for a minute that you would have done that, but the seller doesn't know. And who knows, if you feel dishonesty in the air, maybe you dodged a bullet of some sort. Like I said in an earlier post, if I had the room, I'd have been on a plane, handed over cash, and had that thing out of there ASAP for just this very reason.

Right now I'm sitting on product that a couple of forum members have asked to purchase and I cannot get them to return emails or send money for payment, even though payment has been promised. Even though those things are promised to them, after this much time has elapsed, if someone came up my driveway and handed me cash, they'd be sold. I am guessing that holiday plans are taking precedence. Fortunately my grocery budget does not rely on those payments :-)

In any event, hopefully we'll hear more from Elliot in the future.

Elliot?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Conger - Wyoming on Thursday, December 13, 2018 - 11:29 am:

Bob

I did a lot of editing on my post, and took a long time to post this, and want you to know it is not mean spirited in any way. It is nice to see that no animosity is directed at Elliot, as he surely has clean hands in this deal.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Elliot Schneider on Thursday, December 13, 2018 - 11:39 am:

Bob,

I certainly had no idea that the car was already sold and I apologize that this happened to you!! The seller made no mention of even an interested person let alone a perspective buyer. If you have time to call me sometime, I would like to talk to you and tell you the whole.....story about how this transaction happened. My phone number is 314-570-2931 if you have an interest. Again my apologies

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Elliott on Thursday, December 13, 2018 - 01:14 pm:

Elliot, I'm curious about something and maybe you can confirm it. When I first saw this posting, I texted the owner to see if it was legit. They told me the engine was original (1915) to the car, but when I asked for the cast date on the engine they gave me a date of 1918! This made me very suspicious, as they also said they had owned the T for ten years. It seems to me that if you've owned and driven a T for that many years, you would know if it had and original 1915 engine or not. Can you tell me if the cast date is indeed 1915?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Thursday, December 13, 2018 - 01:17 pm:

When I called the lady about the car and told her Elliot would come to look at it she said I was the first caller. When we got there she said there were other callers who had offered her more money, but since we had showed up when we said we would be there she made the deal. I won't get into the details but we were nervous cats about it being a scam, but as it turned out it wasn't.
Guys Elliot has been wanting a brass car for some time. We should welcome him and his young family to the group. He will probably be a nuisance asking questions:-), but I am sure he will a good steward of this car. Right now he is the vice-president of our local gas engine club after only recently joining it! He is computer savvy and I am sure he will be an asset to us.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob McDaniel Logansport Indiana on Thursday, December 13, 2018 - 01:37 pm:

I feel Elliot will be a good caretaker of this car and welcome him into the hobby. This seller was far from the type we want to deal with and he may have done me and anyone else looking at this car a favor. After talking with him and getting the rest of the story I think he did better than I could have at getting the legal papers needed to make this deal work. He has the help he needs from Herb and a few others and I hope he has it running for the weekend. Sounds like Herb is going to make that happen!

I will let Elliot give the details on his new car but I will say the casting date and vin I was given was for a late 14 early 15 engine. As much as it looked like a scam and it could have went either way, it was for real. I only wish Elliot was closer so I could help too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Thursday, December 13, 2018 - 02:15 pm:

Sounds like Elliot S is on a solid road to a wonderful hobby!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tommy Turner on Friday, December 14, 2018 - 04:51 pm:

I contacted the lady on Monday afternoon. She I could purchase it for the advertised price or I could make an offer. I offered her $5500 and she said she had an offer of that amount already and the person was coming Sat. I asked her if she had told the person who had made the offer that they were getting it for that price. She said yes but did I want to offer more? Sensing that possibly she had committed to sell it to someone but was now fishing for a higher offer I told her I wasn’t interested. I think this was a situation where all parties were innocent ...... except the seller. It was basically who rolled up first with some cash in hand to retrieve it. It sounds like it’s went to an excellent home and an owner who will love and enjoy it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob McDaniel Logansport Indiana on Friday, December 14, 2018 - 08:02 pm:

Tommy,

Just to let you know my offer was full price ($6000) as I felt it was fair and she was nice enough to hold it for me. :-) I hope Elliot got it for less.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tommy Turner on Saturday, December 15, 2018 - 12:44 am:

It was Monday morning, not afternoon that I contacted her. I dug out the email exchange. Again I think this was a situation where whoever got there first with money (maybe not all $6000 but possibly something close) was the new owner. Elliot was the lucky winner. After I got this from her I asked if she had committed it the person who made this offer and she said yes.... Its just old iron .....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Conger - Wyoming on Saturday, December 15, 2018 - 09:41 am:

And that email, Tommy, likely cost you a T. Was it not worth $6K? For the life of me, when the price is so low that nearly universally everyone suspects a scam, I do not know why someone would risk losing out on a deal like that for $500. But I am not you, and you went where your heart took you. That's what makes the world go round. As I mentioned before, I'd have been there in a flash and either discovered a scam or, that I had bought a car and gotten it off the property before the deal went south.

I used to buy/sell clocks, watches, antiques. My experience is that the moment a seller realizes they have a lot of pressing interest, they realize they priced wrong and ethics go out the window...the golden rule then applies: he who shows up with the gold (first) rules.

I am sorry for how it turned out for you, but as my dad used to say "at least it's a good learning experience". I HATE that saying.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Emering - Newton, New Jersey on Saturday, December 15, 2018 - 10:00 am:

Tommy,

PM Sent
You did what was honorable and right.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tommy Turner on Saturday, December 15, 2018 - 11:32 am:

Scott, yes, it was worth $6000 and I would have paid that. But when I was told that another person had offered $5500 and they were picking up Saturday, I could tell a person had made an offer and it had been accepted. I asked as such by inquiring "did you tell the person you would sell it to them for $5500 and they could pick it up on Saturday?" When the answer came back yes, I wasn't going to offer anything else because the car had been sold.....at least in my eyes. I've had probably 15 T's through the years with my first being a '26 that I bought when I was 14 years old. While I love the T's, my greatest interest is in the one cylinder engines. I have about a hundred of them. Several years ago a person put an ad on Harry's Old Engine site (a site much like the MTFCA with classifieds). In the ad they posted a photo of an engine they found on a farm they inherited. They wanted to sell it and asked for offers. I contacted the person and they were located near Atlanta. I made an offer and the guy said "that will buy it". I told him I could come down on Sat. afternoon and pick it up. Everything was set. I contacted him on Friday around noon and said I picked up the cash that he wanted and would see him late on Sat afternoon. He replied great, see you then. I was getting ready to roll out of my place about 10:00 am on Sat and got a text from a friend who lives in VA. He said he wanted to show me and others a photo of an engine he just purchased. He had driven to Atlanta the night before, they loaded it up early Sat. morning and he was headed home. He was getting some gas and had sent a text to about a dozen of his friends showing his new prize. It was the engine I was headed to get. I never said anything to my VA friend at that time and I sent a message to the person I had dealt with, tried to call him, texted and emailed over the next hour or so with no reply. I never left of course to make the trip. So, basically he sold it to me, but it it was still for sale to anyone that would make an offer more than mine. My VA friend was totally flabbergasted when I showed him my correspondence back and forth to the gent. He even offered to let me have the engine for what I had originally offered the guy for it. It was fine with me that he got it. I'd like to have it, but it wasn't his fault and he didn't know what the gent had done until it was all over. Sad thing was I had made an offer on the engine and the offer my friend made was $50 more than mine (I offered $7750 and he offered $7800). If he hadn't texted me I would have made a trip to Atlanta (about 6 hours for me) and would have either had it out with someone or more than likely he would have never showed up and I would have sit there for hours wondering what had happened. If I can ever prevent something like that from happening, I will. The '15 T situation seemed to be almost identical when she gave me the info. So, I did what I thought was right and backed away.

PS Gene - Really appreciated your email

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Conger - Wyoming on Saturday, December 15, 2018 - 11:44 am:

Tommy

the world certainly has it's share of clinkers out there, doesn't it?

Considering potential for costs associated with a futile trip, there are more ways to get burned on a deal than just an outright scam. I have had my share, too. At least it sounds like it went to a decent fellow.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Husted on Saturday, December 15, 2018 - 11:51 am:

I was the other person that she offered the car to me for 5500 providing Idaho had no problems with paperwork and I took it the car was sold to me.
She told so many lies about the car, I'll let it go
at that. I hope any one does not have a problems with DMV It is what it is.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Saturday, December 15, 2018 - 12:59 pm:

I got in somewhat the same thing. There was a sale of cars and parts. I email the seller the night before the sale to confirm time and if parts were still for sale (there had been some issues in the past with selling part from this collection) and they were. We were the first ones there in the AM before they opened the gates and when let in was told the parts all had been sold but the cars were for sale. They had to have know well in advance of my email that the parts all had been sold. Never expressed an interest in the cars, just the parts.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration