Sellers with attitude

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Classifieds: Sellers with attitude
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Sunday, December 23, 2018 - 09:12 pm:

Lets agree to not buy from sellers who's ads show a smart butt attitude, please.
There's no reason to be a jackass and expect people to buy from you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charles Weisgerber- Vancouver WA. on Sunday, December 23, 2018 - 11:12 pm:

Fortunately I haven't run across that type of individual here on the forum. To the contrary, those who have answered my ads,or ads that I have answered, all transactions were cordial. Sorry you had such a bad experience Tommy.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Sunday, December 23, 2018 - 11:35 pm:

I haven't bought from the sellers that I had in mind and won't though they offer parts I could use from time to time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Conger - Wyoming on Monday, December 24, 2018 - 12:12 am:

You probably should look up the definition and prohibition of "restraint of trade". If you have a peeve with someone, that's your business, but you might want to be careful about asking others to join you in not doing business with someone.

I think the two big clubs have shrunk the world T community into a small sphere and brought parts/resources to our fingertips that would otherwise languish and turn to dust in the corner of a barn if not for the internet. I have not seen or met these individuals that you speak of, but still, this thread does provide insights of sorts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Monday, December 24, 2018 - 03:24 am:

Tommy, I'm with you, to a certain degree. I won't/can't do business with those who won't ship overseas.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Monday, December 24, 2018 - 09:21 am:

Btt

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Monday, December 24, 2018 - 09:32 am:

I am sorry people feel like only mean people don't ship overseas. It is a real hassle to ship overseas and very exspensive. I have sold a few things to Australia like car clocks and sold a few vacuam tube testers to folks in Greece and Italy.But I stopped because of 2 reasons. The US postal service ripped those folks a new 1 just for shipping.And tracking was difficult and the time frame was 6 weeks to get 1 of the tube testers to Greece. No sense in that. When I sell on Ebay to someone I want the item to get to them at a reasonable cost and quickly.And it is getting harder to do every day.
Shipping should be reasonable and easy to get parts and good to other countries but it's not.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Rogers - South of the Adirondacks NY on Monday, December 24, 2018 - 11:18 am:

Wow! Is this thread for real?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hanlon N.E.Ohio on Monday, December 24, 2018 - 12:06 pm:

I'm curious to hear some specifics...if no names, maybe an example of what was for sale ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Chaffin......Corona, CA on Monday, December 24, 2018 - 12:42 pm:

I am one of those MTFCA classified sellers who has elected to no longer sell to overseas customers. I have had way to many problems to continue doing so. It is just not worth the time and hassle to do so. On more than one occasion, I never received payment. On several other occasions, payment was made through PayPal without consideration regarding the exchange rate which resulted in a loss of money. Lastly, the process to ship is time consuming to say the least and on more than one occasion, the customer complained about the shipping fees. I do sell to foreign customers who provide a domestic address and then take it from there or drive over the border to pick up their items at a pre-designated post office box (Canada). If I had not had such bad experiences in the past, I would likely be conducting foreign commerce today. Again, just not worth the headache.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Monday, December 24, 2018 - 01:20 pm:

I shipped a brass carb overseas last fall via USPS and I have to say that other than a little bit of customs papers it was no trouble at all. The clerk even bent over backwards to find the cheapest rate. Even to the point of finding a new box for it from their back room. Actually that took longer than anything but for once I was in no hurry. I would do it again.

Merry Christmas to all! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem S.E. Michigan on Monday, December 24, 2018 - 03:29 pm:

I'm not sure that it's anything we all need to "agree" to not do. Isn't it a problem that kind of takes care of itself? I wouldn't purchase from an impolite seller, regardless of any prior "agreement" no to do so...

Let's all agree to have a nice Christmas/Holiday and to not be brought down by Scrooges.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rod Letcher - Eugene Oregon on Monday, December 24, 2018 - 04:48 pm:

I have shipped some small items overseas and had no issues at all, maybe that's because I use Ebay? Over the past 11 years, I've been collecting vintage/antique cars (about 7 or 8 of them were T's) In that period of time I sold cars to Australia (3) Tasmania (1) Belgium (1) Germany (3) Canada (2) and have one going to Estonia in a few weeks. All of the customs stuff was handled by the
transport companies and payment is always by wire transfer, well one time I had payment sent by paypal and the fees killed me, but that was my fault for not checking beforehand. If you are shipping small stuff overseas, the USPS also has Priority mail postage for just that purpose.

Best wishes all
Rod

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Monday, December 24, 2018 - 06:21 pm:

Everything I sell over seas or Canada goes through Pay-pal after I invoice the customer. All labels are printed thru same, including any forms. If the case may come up where payment is made thru Pay-pal friends and family (I do not care to take payment that way but it happens), I do all my labels on the USPS web site, they even take payment via Pay-pal. seems like most everyone has a Pay-pal account now days.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Schwab on Monday, December 24, 2018 - 06:38 pm:

The ones I don't understand are the ones that say "if I don't get a Bazillion dollars for this it's going to scrap"....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kim Dobbins So Cal on Monday, December 24, 2018 - 06:40 pm:

I have always sold overseas and have never had a problem, itís just real expensive.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Monday, December 24, 2018 - 07:26 pm:

Rod, I had a giggle with your post re overseas destinations. Tasmania is one of the 6 Australian states which made up our Federation. It's roughly equivalent to omitting Rhode Island from the USA.
Our Tasmanian friends do get upset when they are deleted from a map of Australia.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Monday, December 24, 2018 - 07:26 pm:

I have not had issues with the process of shipping overseas but I have had people get excited because of how long it takes to receive their item because of customs on their end.. Never model T related but other items. I still ship to people who are easy to work with.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry K. Lee on Monday, December 24, 2018 - 07:51 pm:

From living in various countries around the world, I total understand both sides of the coin to a point. But what burns my butt the most when someone just can't be bothered to assist another in need to keep one up and running. Then criticizes. ?.

I have never been burned doing business over the pond, just new friends on the path of life!

It is the season of giving and not receiving, God Speed to All.

Hank

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Monday, December 24, 2018 - 08:46 pm:

Well said Hank! Most of the forum members go out of their way to be helpful, as do I. Paypal make the transactions easy, but I have never gotten my head around the charges and at which end of the transaction they are applied. The postage charges are steep, but they are the buyer's responsibility, so vendors are not out of pocket. Good people advise of the postage costs and understand if these are deal killers.

It just gets me that a very few have a different attitude.

As Ned Kelly is reputed to have said, "Such is life!"

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Moore, on Monday, December 24, 2018 - 08:59 pm:

Mr. Coffey appears to reside in North Carolina so his complaint has nothing to do with shipping internationally. He is an interested buyer and not a seller.

I have no idea what the problem is or was but it has nothing to do with shipping outside the USA. This topic took a sideways turn in a totally different direction.

Tim Moore

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike-Iowa on Tuesday, December 25, 2018 - 10:43 am:

I have had a few international T related business transactions where I was either the seller or the buyer. Money is easily exchanged at minimal sending cost by using SWIFT account using both the buyer and seller's financial institution. The cost was minimal, at least on my end. There is no confusion about the exchange rate. I know what the cost will be and they do as well, in whatever our currency happens to be. It does require trust and patience as it is not unusual for the actual transport to take weeks if not months. Allan and I are engaged in a related transaction at this time. He was prompt, I was prompt, communication has been timely and concise. This will take approximately 3 months to accomplish due to the shipping
logistics I employed and am totally confident with. The parts I needed Allan had and I am grateful to be able to work with
folks from Australia and New Zealand. Patience and trust are
essential. Merry Christmas to All. Mike

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rod Letcher - Eugene Oregon on Tuesday, December 25, 2018 - 12:18 pm:

Alan,
I didn't mean to insult the Tasmanian citizens, their State was the destination of the first car I ever sold overseas, so it's just natural for me to refer to it singularly. Kind of like my saying Oregon not Oregon USA, that being said, I apologize for my insensitivity! ;).
As for the high cost of shipping overseas, it's not any different than shipping from Oregon to Florida (unless it's flat rate), everything is distance related and the buyers responsibility to ascertain the cost before purchasing, the seller, of course can assist.

Rod

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andy Clary on Tuesday, December 25, 2018 - 04:21 pm:

As to the original subject, I am sure there are a lot of sellers with stories of bad buyers. I know I've seen several instances of buyers jumping on an item, never to be heard from again. I have had people offer half my asking price only to get huffy when I say no.

Andy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Tuesday, December 25, 2018 - 07:28 pm:

Have you tried selling on Craigslist? This place is great comparatively.

I had a guy jerk my chain so bad last week on a high dollar item ($600), that I not only didn't get the sale, I lost an hour and a half of overtime from work to meet him for his convenience. He showed up but had ZERO money.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Adam Doleshal on Tuesday, December 25, 2018 - 08:29 pm:

Someone was looking for some early fan shafts a couple weeks ago and I responded that I had some and would dig them out if there was any interest for $30 each. Got two email communications from the same person who supposedly needed one. Spent an hour digging 4 different 1913-1914 styles out of storage, photographing, emailing, etc. and never heard anything back.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Wednesday, December 26, 2018 - 10:20 am:

Allan...some paypal info regarding charges...if you send your payment for something you buy via the "friends" link, there's no charge. I believe that to be true even in international transactions. I always remind buyers of that, so the seller doesn't get stuck with a fee. I'm surprised Paypal keeps allowing this though! (Hope they don't read this!! LOL)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark A Strange on Wednesday, December 26, 2018 - 10:59 am:

One caveat - if you buy something using the Paypal "friends" link, and the item never shows up, you have no insurance or recourse via Paypal, you're on your own to work things out with the seller. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Cibolo, Texas on Wednesday, December 26, 2018 - 10:59 am:

I hope that I am not one who is considered to have "an attitude" on the classifieds. If I come off that way on the Forum side, its just my attempt at humor, showing, which may, or may not come across correctly. I haven't advertised on the classifieds much in the past. One thing that bothers me is, I currently have an expensive rebuilt item that the rebuilder charges $250.00 more than I am asking, yet, when I have quoted three potential buyers my price (at my cost, and at a potential savings of $250.00), I never hear from them, again. They must think I don't have that much invested in the item, or they are looking to steal the item. As the saying goes, "If you want to play; You have to pay".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Davis. Tomball Texas on Wednesday, December 26, 2018 - 11:36 am:

Paypal charge's for using the friends link. If You indicate payment is for a purchase they charge the seller.If You indicated it is payment to a friend or family they charge You. But someone is charged.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Cibolo, Texas on Wednesday, December 26, 2018 - 11:45 am:

Dang, Jim, Maybe I misunderstand you, but when I send money, "friends or family", I don't see a charge on the sending or receiving end.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Davis. Tomball Texas on Wednesday, December 26, 2018 - 12:13 pm:

Terry.On the Paypal transactions I have made using friends they deducted a service fee. Bought some T books clicked purchase they charged the seller. Who was not happy! Next books I bought from Him I clicked on friends they charged Me. He was happy! If You have a paypal credit balance that covers the funds transfer there is no charge.

"The Devil is in the Details"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joe Andulics on Wednesday, December 26, 2018 - 04:04 pm:

Right from the PayPal site. I've used this quite often with no problems or "fees"

There are no fees within the U.S. to send money to family and friends when you use only your PayPal balance or bank account, or a combination of your PayPal balance and bank account. There is a fee to send money as a personal payment using a debit card or credit card.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Wednesday, December 26, 2018 - 04:46 pm:

I am also amazed on how we get side tracked easily on this site. It's quite comical to me and I enjoy it.

Example here: Sellers with attitude, 3 days later the discussion has turned to Sellers from afar and PayPal fees.

I mean no disrespect to anyone, but it's fun and entertaining watching how all of this turns quickly within this group.

And Joe's post above mine is 100% correct.

Carry on......

(Message edited by Chad_Marchees on December 26, 2018)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Chaffin......Corona, CA on Wednesday, December 26, 2018 - 05:29 pm:

By far the MTFCA Classifieds are better than EBAY. I no longer sell on EBAY as I have had way more bad experiences. For the most part, I can ship before payment arrives and have no worries. Great bunch of folks for sure! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By george house . . .caldwell county, TX on Wednesday, December 26, 2018 - 05:35 pm:

Iím with you Mark. I ONLY use MTFCA Classifieds. That way Iím always dealing with friends. And, ... oh yes, ....I occasionally send a donation to the Richmond museum.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warwick Landy Traralgon Australia on Wednesday, December 26, 2018 - 05:36 pm:

My New T has recently arrived in Australia from California. I found the car via a picture that was posted on the forum of the Longbeach Swap Meet. There was no visible information of the sellers contact details in the picture so I contacted the Swap Meet organizer and he was able to put me in touch with the seller. We exchanged emails and pictures, I transferred funds to his account via a funds transfer agent and the seller transported my car to the shipping agent as part of the deal. I trusted the fact that the seller was a well known A & T guy and the deal worked well. there was lots of patience and trust involved but now I have a new Model T friend and a new T to enjoy.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration