Model T information

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Classifieds: Model T information
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Wofford on Tuesday, December 25, 2018 - 07:39 pm:

What is the length, width, and height of a 14 Touring?
Thank you

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joe Kowalczyk - Nampa Idaho on Tuesday, December 25, 2018 - 08:19 pm:

https://www.thehenryford.org/artifact/230567/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joe Kowalczyk - Nampa Idaho on Tuesday, December 25, 2018 - 08:25 pm:

https://www.thehenryford.org/artifact/230567/

Specifications
Make & Model: 1914 Ford Model T touring car
Maker: Ford Motor Company, Detroit, Michigan
Engine: inline-4, L-head valves, 177 cubic inches
Transmission: 2 speed manual
Height: 76 inches
Width: 65 inches
Wheelbase: 100 inches
Overall length: 134.5 inches
Weight: 1200
Horsepower: 20 at 1600 revolutions per minute
Pounds per horsepower: 60
Price: $550
Average 1914 wage: $627
Time you'd work to buy this car: about 10-1/2 months

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Wofford on Tuesday, December 25, 2018 - 09:02 pm:

Thank you Joe for the information. I have gotten a different answer every time I ask someone.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Tuesday, December 25, 2018 - 09:26 pm:

Why not find someone with a '14 touring and measure it yourself?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Frost on Tuesday, December 25, 2018 - 09:51 pm:

Dang Larry. Bad Christmas? Reasonable question if he's looking to see if it can be hauled or will fit in a garage.

(Message edited by Dave Frost on December 25, 2018)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Wednesday, December 26, 2018 - 12:05 am:

The problem nobody seems to understand is, that any year and body style can vary in height by as much as four inches due to differences in tires, tire condition, condition of springs, accessory shocks, and even sometimes more it the top is redone incorrectly. Brass era Ts, one should at least recognize the possibility of Southern wide track cars (a four inch difference in width).
As long as we KNOW we are discussing basically stock factory model Ts? The length (from the tip of the front tire to the back edge of the rear fender doesn't vary much over an inch from 1909 through '27. However, If the car has bumpers (front and/or rear?), added trunk, spare tires, or the touring top folded down? Those could add six inches to a foot and a half! And pickup boxes can add even more.
It would be nice to have a good list of the many year and body styles, giving their average normal height. But in fifty years in this hobby, I have never seen one.
Modern garages are sometimes not tall enough for touring cars or runabouts with the top up. T sedans and coupes usually seem to fit in most modern garages. Trailers are another issue however. Open cars will often work with the top down, and earlier Ts had windshields that folded about half way. Many enclosed utility trailers are not high enough for sedans and coupes. All too often, one needs to measure the exact vehicle in question to know for sure whether it will fit. And do not forget! Unless you tie the car DOWN from above the springs? It will try to bound up from the springs as you go down the road. I have seen cars in enclosed trailers that hit the roof of the trailer with six inches sitting clearance.
Hopefully, someone with a '13 or '14 can give you a rough measure soon. You may need to wait a day or two past the holiday. But if you are checking for a tight fit? Always best to measure the actual car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Conger - Wyoming on Wednesday, December 26, 2018 - 12:48 pm:

John

to take a different tack - I have found that nearly every standard garage door with an automatic opener is not set to open fully to fully clear the door opening. You can almost always adjust the opener to make the door go HIGHER than the door opening. With that adjustment made, our '13 touring with factory type clinchers/tires would clear a standard 7' door opening by about an inch and a half.

WARNING!!!: If you have a low overhead garage ceiling, you may find the car goes into the garage fine, but when the door goes down, the traveling arm on the closer is LOWER than that and may slice into the roof. Happened to my dad at a neighbor's house during a terrible storm and he was invited to go inside. Bad result.

Also, be sure to measure clearance to that "J" shaped arm during it's traverse, and when it clamps the door shut. I had to be sure to pull the car in an extra foot for the arm to clear the rear bow of the car when the door was almost down and was crossing over the top bow as the door panel transitioned from horizontal to vertical.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration