For sale - Wind up swiss dash clock

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Classifieds: For sale - Wind up swiss dash clock
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Justin H. - Western PA on Saturday, January 05, 2019 - 11:31 am:

For sale is a wind up clock that would work in a dash or header panel. It is an 8 day swiss made watch by Doxa Watch Co. The movement is marked 7 jewels and 2 adjustments. The dial is porcelain with radium on the numbers and hands. The bezel screws on and is brass with a nice glass crystal. I believe that the back is stainless. It runs nicely and keeps good time. It will stop if left alone for a day or two so it will probably need oiled. The overall diameter is 2 9/16" and the recessed area in the bezel edge is 2 3/8". $80.00 shipped. PM me if interested.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Conger - Wyoming on Saturday, January 05, 2019 - 11:49 am:

Justin

your timepiece is what's left of a travel clock. It came in a leatherette case, opened up and swung forward, forming a pyramid sort of base that would face the viewer at an angle. That is why the space between the back and the bezel is so thick...it is meant to hold itself in the leatherette case. It isn't a car clock. Sorry.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Justin H. - Western PA on Saturday, January 05, 2019 - 12:17 pm:

Scott, thanks for the explanation of what this is from. I guess I should have done some more research on it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Conger - Wyoming on Saturday, January 05, 2019 - 03:41 pm:

I commend you for being gracious about it. I thought long and hard before posting.

There WERE clocks made very similarly to yours, but you'll find that they have longer stems so that they may be centralized in the "dash", and have a purpose-made mounting ring of some sort.

The other primary style is the Phinney-Walker style which has a mounting flange and a bezel wind/bezel set knurled ring around the dial. They are pretty neat...a few cranks on the ring and it's wound, then pull the ring out, and set the hands, then press the ring back in.

When my dad was collecting clocks/watches in the '60's, you just threw these things away when you got them in with other clocks...no one wanted them "because they were for cheap old cars that no one had anymore". In the '70's when I started collecting, you could buy them in quantity for $2 each, and then plan on never selling them again, because that's what they were worth...$2.

Times change!

regards

scott

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Justin H. - Western PA on Sunday, January 06, 2019 - 08:01 am:

Sold pending payment. Thanks MTFCA.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration