How To Work Weaver Tire Changer

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: How To Work Weaver Tire Changer
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By P. Jamison on Monday, August 05, 2013 - 05:29 pm:

I got a pretty nice Model E Weaver Tire Changer from the '20s. I'm puzzled exactly how it works, however. Obviously, it holds the wheel with the three clamps. The large hook presses down, and you can turn the wheel, etc. However, I'm not sure how it actually removes and mounts tires. Can anyone offer any tips? I'm looking to do some 30x3 tires.

Phil

Weaver Tire Changer

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Monday, August 05, 2013 - 05:43 pm:

There is maybe somebody on this thread that might have a copy.

http://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=96197

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By P. Jamison on Monday, August 05, 2013 - 05:51 pm:

I've searched for a manual, but no luck.

Phil

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Monday, August 05, 2013 - 05:59 pm:

Try calling these people.

http://www.autolit.com/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Ronning on Monday, August 05, 2013 - 06:19 pm:

it just holds the wheel you still have to use tire irons to remove and mount the tires. the handle will help you start with the tire irons. also it will help on split rims then you can crank the rim also. mine is a lot better than working on the ground with a wheel that can move.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By P. Jamison on Monday, August 05, 2013 - 08:13 pm:

I see. So it's sort of a workbench/vice for tire changing. What are the little movable dogs on each of the three wheel holders? I thought they held the wheel down, but they seem oriented wrong.

Phil

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Ronning on Monday, August 05, 2013 - 08:32 pm:

the dogs are not used on t wheels or rims this changer can be used on most of the wheels or rims from the 20s and 30s.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By A. J. "Art" Bell on Tuesday, August 06, 2013 - 02:35 am:

Ira A. Weaver
Springfield, Illinois
Assignor to Weaver Manufacturing Company
Springfield, Illinois
Tire Changer
Patent number 1341727
Filing Date: Oct 17, 1917
Issue Date: June 1, 1920
http://tinyurl.com/q7yw8s2

Ira A. Weaver
Springfield, Illinois
Assignor to Weaver Manufacturing Company
Springfield, Illinois
Tire Changing Mechanism
Patent number: 1341729
Filing Date: Feb 20, 1919
Issue Date: June 1, 1920
http://tinyurl.com/oy4cf97

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By P. Jamison on Tuesday, August 06, 2013 - 05:47 pm:

Thanks, Art. The patent told me what the little C-shaped "hooks" are on the clamps (just below my red arrow in the previous post): they compress split rims. If I ever get this thing to work, I'll post a video.

Phil

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson, Berthoud, Co. on Thursday, August 08, 2013 - 06:57 pm:

P Jamison:

Sorry I did not answer your email, I tried but my email is not working very well. Mine is an early one without the bead breaker. I had one with the bead breaker, I should have kept it. I did see one in an antique shop with the bead breaker that I will have to go back some day to see if they still have it. I sell tires and offer free mounting. I some times do 5 tires at a time so I find the weaver indispensable.

One thing that I do is use one by ones under the bottom rim. That leave the side wall on the bottom side of the tire move down so that when you install the top bead the top bead can go down easier.

Be sure to find yourself TWO SIOUX TIRE CLAMPS to keep the bead from slipping OFF the rim when you are working on the opposite side of the tire. You can use C clamps but they are much, much more slower. A bead on a 30 by s 1/2 OR 30 X 3 TIRE will always slip as you work on the opposite side unless you use a clamp or have someone hold the bead on with a tire iron.

Always remember to watch you stem. If it starts to lean on way or the other then you can straighten it out by working on the opposite side of the lean. If you stem is not straight when you put the rim on the wheel the feloe WILL CUT THE STEM.

I really enjoy mounting tires on the demountable 30 in rims. I think you will too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By P. Jamison on Thursday, August 08, 2013 - 07:42 pm:

Thanks for the tips, Dave. I have one Sioux clamp and will search for another.

Phil

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson, Berthoud, Co. on Monday, August 12, 2013 - 02:22 am:

Bob Ronning;

The DOGS are used on T wheels. They are used 450 X 21 inch split rims. Some times I also use a hand split rim spreader on top and the Weaver Tire Changer on the bottom. This works on older stiff tires that I am mounting for someone.

Don't forget to keep the geared shafts well greased, It will make mounting a split rim a lot easier.

Another thing to do is get your self a GIANT HAND. They come in three sizes. I use the middle size the most. They are great for rolling in the bid of the tire into the rim resess. Until you can find a GIANT HAND you can sometime role the bead by putting some air in the tire and then taking it off the changer and bouncing the tire and rim on the floor. The rim and tire must be vertical when it hits the floor. This will usually bounce the bead right into the rim recess.

I use baby talcum powder on the tire beads to allow them to slip onto the rim easier.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Ronning on Monday, August 12, 2013 - 08:12 am:

I never had a T with spit rims and did not think before I posted thanks for the reminder Dave.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Tuesday, August 13, 2013 - 05:16 am:

Did any of you guys see the tire changer (Weaver, I think) that was restored on the TV show, American Restoration a couple of years ago? It had sat outside for many years in this guys backyard, as I recall. He had it restored to perfectly operating condition at a cost of $1400.00. He then promptly mounted it in his front yard for display. You can't make this stuff up! Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By P. Jamison on Tuesday, August 13, 2013 - 05:50 pm:

What is a GIANT HAND?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Tuesday, August 13, 2013 - 06:45 pm:

The Giant Hand was an old tire tool for clinchers made by the Marquette MFG Co in St. Paul, MN. (there were probably other types of similar tools back in the day)

See this thread for pictures: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/118802/129203.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Manu on Wednesday, January 08, 2014 - 10:38 am:

Found here : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_American_Restoration_episodes
"[A] customer wants a 1920s Weaver tire changer restored. The iron changer is extremely rusty, and after several different methods, would not move until being soaked in a pickle bath."

Ep. #18 Total 22 Episode Title "Batter Up" Original Airdate August 26, 2011

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson, Berthoud, Co. on Wednesday, January 08, 2014 - 04:06 pm:

P. Jamison:

I have three giant hands in three sizes. I use the middle size the most. I will try and post some pictures of them.

giant hand

giant hand

giant hand

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson, Berthoud, Co. on Wednesday, January 08, 2014 - 04:29 pm:

P. Jamison:

Sorry I must have deleted my pictures of the other Giant Hands. If I get some time tonight I will take some more pictures of the others.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson, Berthoud, Co. on Wednesday, January 08, 2014 - 04:30 pm:

P. Jamison:

I have three giant hands in three sizes. I use the middle size the most. I will try and post some pictures of them.

giant hand

giant hand

giant hand

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration