OT - to check out a car for my son

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: OT - to check out a car for my son
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ray Green on Wednesday, January 01, 2014 - 08:17 am:

Hi there and I hope we all have a great new year, I am tiring to find a car as a gift for my son when he comes home from his tour of duty in Afghanistan to show how I respect his decision to part of the Army, I know he will take my model T but he would like a 69 mustang and I have found one in Sacramento, CA 95814 but have no way of seeing if its a dud or not and how much rust is in it. I hope to have an address soon if any member could help... thanking you Ray Green

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Michael Rogers on Wednesday, January 01, 2014 - 08:32 am:

Ray, where are you located? I may have something that would interest you in this endeavor.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ray Green on Wednesday, January 01, 2014 - 08:41 am:

Hi James, Im in Australia so thats why I can not check it out but I have a container leaving Long beach that it could go in, where are you.. Ray

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Michael Rogers on Wednesday, January 01, 2014 - 08:43 am:

Western North Carolina. I guess the 65 mustang I have is really too far from you. Sorry, I sure would like to sell it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ray Green on Wednesday, January 01, 2014 - 08:49 am:

James, distance is never to far as I have shipped things from Russia to here and from New York to here but you use that fender solvent called salt on your roads which kills cars and he wants a 69 model, what model is yours and what were you asking... Ray

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ray Green on Wednesday, January 01, 2014 - 08:55 am:

Sorry I should have said he wants a fast back in 1969 model. Thats why we looked in the west coast. Its 1am here so I am off to bed so I will catch you tomorrow.. ray

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim on Wednesday, January 01, 2014 - 09:14 am:

Ray,

As you may or may not know ....

Ebay has " shut the door " on international buyers
viewing/bidding on US ebay auctions ....

Increasingly - buyers outside the states are
turning to public forums & members to assist
in buying vehicles ....

Good for you !

Jim :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Michael Rogers on Wednesday, January 01, 2014 - 09:27 am:

Mine is a 65 coupe but has no rust in it. It has been taken very well care of. V8 (289) factory 3 speed with original interior and shifter in great shape.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Wednesday, January 01, 2014 - 10:06 am:

If you don't want a common Mustang, Ray, I think my neighbor still has his 67 Cougar for sale. I sent you his email way last year, but no response.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Horlick in Penn Valley, CA on Wednesday, January 01, 2014 - 11:09 am:

Ray is very free with his help for anyone who needs to source parts from down under.

Ray, let me know how I can help you out. I know little, or less about Mustangs but would be happy to drive the 90 miles down to Sacramento to check it out for you. Let me know.

Terry H.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Wednesday, January 01, 2014 - 02:00 pm:

I probably know less than Terry about Mustangs, But also could go look. Maybe Terry and I could go together? (Two half-fools together make a complete fool?) I would be happy to do so.
I do need to put some good high speed miles on my Expedition in order to pass a smog-check. So I have a good excuse to need to go there.
Drive carefully, and enjoy the New Year! W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Wednesday, January 01, 2014 - 02:13 pm:

Terry & Wayne;
ROAD TRIP!!!!
I used to know about a mustang in a garage in Sacramento, hadn't been out for some 30 year--I think it was a convert too (but I forget, was too busy getting the Dodge Brother's parts out of the garage!) IF this is the same one, it's a real "sleeper".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Wednesday, January 01, 2014 - 04:16 pm:

YEAH! David D isn't out of the way much from here.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ray Green on Wednesday, January 01, 2014 - 06:12 pm:

Hi to all, thank you to Terry and Wayne and every one who has responded,
Jim, its not on ebay as the last one I purchased off ebay was a rust bucket from Florida and we got all the photos and was still taken so I do not buy cars off there as we could not get an inspection in the time that it was up. This one
is on www.carsforsale.com. He found it and would like it as I said I would help him get his wish. for when he comes home, I would wish him home from there as we have had a run of ill health last year after I got hit by a hit run woman driver and the farm is going down hill, my T now sits looking very sad and the T Bird is about the same with all the new bits stacked beside it and I can not fix them. I have sent him a email for all the details so I will keep in contact with you.... Thank you Ray

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob McDaniel(Indiana Trucks)Star City In on Thursday, January 02, 2014 - 12:51 am:

Ray,

You do need someone to look the car over for you because even if the car is in a no salt area it may have only been there a short time. I saw on you-tube where someone bought a Mustang and paid top dollar for it and then paid a lot of money to ship it around the world and the car was not even worth the shipping cost when he got it. I hope that was not you. Mustangs are easy to get parts for so not all are easy to tell if they were rust buckets before they were painted to resell. Done right they are fun cars to drive but if the guy doing the work messed up putting the frame rails on it could look nice and still be a mess. If someone looks at it for you they also need to look under the car and test drive it for you. Worn out parts in the front end are not a deal breaker but bad rust repair is. I have driven a 68 Mustang since before I had my license and done body work almost as long so I wish I could go look for you but a 36 hour drive would kill me! Good luck with your search and if nothing else you could get an appraiser to look it over and tell you if it is worth the asking price and he would find any big problems and report the condition back to you for a fee. We have people here that do that and I had one come to my house to inspect a car I sold to a guy on the east coast a few years ago. I got a good grade on the car and it was shipped out and the new owner was happy with it. We kept in touch for a couple of years after the sale so I know he liked the car.

Hope this helps

Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ray Green on Thursday, January 02, 2014 - 08:19 am:

Hi Bob, well at this time I have booked container space and found a tow company to pick up should I buy, I need to get the Australian entry permit next and then I can make noises. I need a person to check out the vehicle before we pay as Terry and Wayne said they could in there area as I purchased a car (71 Mustang coupe) in Florida on pictures that we asked for showed no rust and sound floors only to ship it across to LA for $1000 then into the container and $3000 to bring it over to Melbourne in Victoria then by truck to Bathurst were I live which was another 700 miles on top of all the other travel then the fun started. While it was on the truck we looked up under the floors only to see welded mesh and tar, when we opened the doors the floors looked great till you slipped a screw driver through the tar seal and flip the metal panels to see day light, the more we looked the more rust we found till we decided that the car was unsafe and had been in a major accident. With what details I had I asked a PI friend in Florida to check things out, the car was a repaired write off and a insurance scam by a know family in the area who got cars, staged crashers and claimed repair cost and medicals doing a dud job on the car then sell it on ebay to get it out of the country. I sold on the vehicle to a race car enthusiast to turn it into a circuit racer.
NO MORE EBAY FOR ME.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Thursday, January 02, 2014 - 10:28 am:

jim,Uh, help me undertand that?
I have sold a couple things to Italy and australia and such,tube testers and equipment.Why would ebay do that?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Wolf on Thursday, January 02, 2014 - 10:52 am:

Ray;
Don't feel like the lone ranger. I bought 2 cars off ebay that were rust bucket junk. Went 500 miles to pick up one. Should have let him keep the deposit and count my losses.
Another one, I traveled 300 miles and should let him keep my $500.00 deposit and turn around and go home with my tail between my legs.
Bought one in Iowa and I thought I got a good deal.Came home with a big smile on my face till I got home and my wife saw it. No more wife.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerome Hoffman, Hays KS on Thursday, January 02, 2014 - 11:19 am:

Ray, too bad you did'nt ask/post this on Monday, had most of the day off and was already in the area. With gps I should of been able to get there. Jerry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Schrope - Upland, IN on Thursday, January 02, 2014 - 12:10 pm:

Richard - one of those cars is now a lot worse than when you brought it home......and for sale, but not worth me hauling it 16 miles.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Karl Gilchrist on Thursday, January 02, 2014 - 04:51 pm:

Buying from photos can be very tricky. I recently looked at a Model A Victoria for sale that had been imported by someone else as a "show car". The whole back half of it was fibreglass!! Locally some one imported a mid 50's Chev and found the chassis was so rusted the engine mount bolts wouldn't hold and the mounts had been epoxied on . Very painful when it probably costs at least $5,000 to import them and you have to pay 15% sales tax on the purchase price and freight as well -Karl in New Zealand

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Wolf on Thursday, January 02, 2014 - 05:01 pm:

Fred;
I remember u telling me about it.
A local guy called me Tuesday about a '20 Touring, near by, in pieces and the guy is painting it, possibly with rattle cans, and was talking, I think he said, $4500.00.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R. S. Cruickshank on Thursday, January 02, 2014 - 08:29 pm:

I'm sorry some have had trouble with bad deals on EBAY. I bought three vehicles off EBAY in the past 5 years. First was a 2006 Ford van for business. No problems and got it for 3k less than the current advertized dealer prices. The next was a beautiful and 100% original one owner (81,000 mile) 1988 Mustang 5.0 convert. I love the car and use it as a daily driver which is appreciating everyday. The last car was a 2008 Lincoln MKZ for my wife. It was 3 yrs old and had 7500 miles on it. Like brand new for about 12k leas that new one. Can't argue with success but my wife has taken car buying off the list for me on EBAY.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ray Green on Friday, January 03, 2014 - 08:46 am:

Hi all, I have been tiring to get onto the government dept that handle imports and they are shut till next week, What he wants is a 68 or 69 mustang fastback to drive to the base and home each day as his daily drive and left hand drive is no problem as it can be put on full plates here or it can be converted for $10k. I had a problem over the car and parts that I was buying in your country as I had to pay from my home address and the seller could only send it to my home address as per my visa card. After half a hour talking to morons I pointed out that we have a company in LA and that was our shipping address as I will pick up my items when I come over every couple of months so they changed their format and my items all go to my shipping Address in LA. Not that I come over but it worked and I can buy what I want and no hassles. Ray

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ray Green on Monday, January 06, 2014 - 08:27 am:

Hi All, well it pays to start looking for details on sellers, the car we were looking at buying in California is also for sale in Cleveland OH for $400 less and similar name, Carlo in Cal and Chad in OH, so we are sitting back and will start again, thank you for all your offers of help... Ray

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Clipner-Los Angeles on Tuesday, January 07, 2014 - 12:28 am:

Check with Aaron Griffey here .
Hey Aaron you busy ???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ray Green on Tuesday, January 07, 2014 - 05:39 am:

Hi George, are you saying that Aaron may know were we can find a car?? Ray

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Clipner-Los Angeles on Wednesday, January 08, 2014 - 01:39 am:

Perhaps, he has many resources and he's a vet.
PM him I'll let him know you'll be calling.
And when your son gets back tell him I thank him for your service.
George n L.A.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ray Green on Friday, January 10, 2014 - 11:12 am:

Hi again, I can not beleive what is happening about cars for sale on sites in the US. We have found three ads and all three are scams with the latest being a person pretending to be a US service woman on transfer to England.
Her scam is well listed on the scam sites and Google claiming to be a 1SG using three similar names.
I am finding these people an insult to your fine service personnel and drawing on the patriotic emotions of the country to steal money from hard working service men and civilians, I feel I would like to meet them in a dark ally some were and help then repent there sins with a lump of timber.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Clipner-Los Angeles on Sunday, January 12, 2014 - 10:52 pm:

Try calling Randy Johnson at http://www.classicponies.com/
I drove by his lot today and saw about 8 mustangs. don't know the status of the cars but he might know of one being avail.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Semprez-Templeton, CA on Monday, January 13, 2014 - 02:48 am:

Ray, Your quest is a challenge to say the least. I have looked at several Mustangs over the last few years and haven't spent my money yet! The most common problem I find is floor pan rust... even documented California cars. To determine if a car is sound the carpets and seats should be pulled... The shady sellers usually balk at this.

The other problem I've encountered is tweaked tubs resulting from poor collision repairs. I generally use the string test to get a feeling for how straight a car is then if I sense a problem, I go looking for creases or kinks in the longitudinals and center tunnel which are often present.

Since I'm not looking for a concourse car with matching numbers and "as built" options indicated by the VIN, I have now decided to find a car with a good solid tub and make it into the car I want.

There are an abundance of reasonably priced - quality restoration hard and trim parts available from reputable vendors on the web for Mustangs today but finding a car with a solid tub is the key as I see it!

If you would like to, send me a PM and we can toss around some ideas.

-John

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ray Green on Monday, January 13, 2014 - 07:38 am:

Hi George and John.
George, we are now following your lead and thank you, My son will ring him in the next few days and we will work from there...
John, thank you and I will send you a message later to day and I am sure the boy will get his wish soon, I hope he gets home first but the army moves in strange way that even they do not know what they are doing till its done... Ray

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dena & Dennis Gorder on Monday, January 13, 2014 - 08:47 am:

Ray, your name sounds very familiar. Are you also on the Squarebirds forum? Our newest T is a 1958 T-bird. My name on there is Buckaroo. It is the same name on use on CJPony's website with our 65 Mustang. Good luck finding that special car for your son. If you need anything looked at in the "rust belt" of Wisconsin, let me know:-) Best of luck at getting healed so you can get back to enjoying your cars.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ray Green on Monday, January 13, 2014 - 07:35 pm:

Hi Dennis and Dena, I dont think I have ever been on that forum as this is the first time I have heard of it but sounds interesting, were would one find it as I would like to have a look as I have a 66 TBird as a club car for the local club, the old T just could not keep up with the Mustangs, Jags, Corvettes and those other English cars so I found the Bird and with a 428 in it now they keep up with me, it runs great at 110mph on the open road when the cops are not around, pulling up is a worry. We keep the T for other club runs and shows and parades for the super car races taking the drivers around town as every time we take it out it ends up in the paper, this photo was on the end of summer tour and we nearly froze.. A guy dressed as Elvis in a mustang won.. Ray

(Message edited by admin on January 13, 2014)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dena & Dennis Gorder on Tuesday, January 14, 2014 - 05:20 pm:

Ray, I sent you a private message regarding the T-bird website. Nice looking cars and outfits. Happy touring!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Wednesday, January 15, 2014 - 08:52 am:

If his name was Red Green he could use duct tape and everything would be OK:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange on Wednesday, January 15, 2014 - 09:13 am:

Yep, the possum van is virtually held together with the "handyman's secret weapon"....

van01

"Remember, if the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy!"

red_green

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration