Different snowmobile-Photo

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Different snowmobile-Photo
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Wednesday, January 01, 2014 - 08:31 am:

Might work on a wintery day.
Look how it drives, underneath!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Wednesday, January 01, 2014 - 08:38 am:

WOW Herb Great picture But I have to wonder if the road isn't level would it still work?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim on Wednesday, January 01, 2014 - 09:19 am:

Just dropped this off at the MTFCA Museum
in Richmond, IN on December 26th ....

Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Wednesday, January 01, 2014 - 11:45 am:

Who can identify the car?
Single screw?

: ^ )

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Wednesday, January 01, 2014 - 12:09 pm:

I think if you look carefully under the belly of the car you can see that there are two screws that drive the car. There are several videos of that type of screw drive car without the ski's on you tube.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange on Wednesday, January 01, 2014 - 12:31 pm:

Here's a picture of a 1926 Fordson screw drive vehicle I found on the web:

screw_drive01

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Wednesday, January 01, 2014 - 12:59 pm:

I Guess steering is accomplished by braking one side or the other. If the screws are hollow and watertight can it cross a stream?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange on Wednesday, January 01, 2014 - 01:17 pm:

Someone else can try it and let us know, I'm not that brave!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Wednesday, January 01, 2014 - 01:19 pm:

I bet it could be adapted for water, but I imagine the "threads" on the pontoons would need to be a little larger for it to be effective.

Since it's a Fordson, would that mean that on the water it would be a tug boat? :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Wednesday, January 01, 2014 - 02:24 pm:

Here is a video of it running.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBjlSJf4274

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland - Trenton, New Jersey on Wednesday, January 01, 2014 - 02:36 pm:

I wonder if there are any of those Fordson snow tractors left.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Anthonie Boer on Wednesday, January 01, 2014 - 02:52 pm:

There must be a Fordson snow tractor in a museum in Califonia.Perhaps the one of the picture of Mark.
Toon

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By keith g barrier on Wednesday, January 01, 2014 - 04:21 pm:

Will, Mark just posted a picture of one! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Wednesday, January 01, 2014 - 04:23 pm:

I wouldn't say for certain, but I think the car may be a Hupmobile (note the radiator neck). Small ladies if it is. Those early Hupps were little cars.
I have seen photos of a similar screw-type drive under a larger roadster of that era.
Drive carefully, and enjoy the New Year! W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange on Wednesday, January 01, 2014 - 04:42 pm:

Here's a blog that talks about them:

http://fountainheadauto.blogspot.com/2009/12/snow-devils.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Wednesday, January 01, 2014 - 05:08 pm:

I agree with Wayne. It sure looks Hupmobile to me.
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nancy DeWitt on Friday, January 03, 2014 - 12:28 pm:

References say the car in the Henry Ford video is a Chevrolet.

There are two Fordson snow motors left in Alaska, plus parts from a third one.

There's a great article on how screw-drive vehicles work here: http://auto.howstuffworks.com/screw-drive-vehicle.htm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Friday, January 03, 2014 - 12:38 pm:

It does say Chevrolet in video and there is a bowtie on the radiator shroud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dane Hawley Near Melbourne Australia on Saturday, January 04, 2014 - 04:03 am:

The concept, it seems, is still in use-

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andrew Benoit on Saturday, January 04, 2014 - 04:48 am:

The MudMaster is similar. There are quite a few in service in Oz.

http://www.residuesolutions.com.au/equipment.aspx

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration