Bent Bendix Spring - Usable or Not?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Bent Bendix Spring - Usable or Not?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange on Wednesday, January 01, 2014 - 09:47 am:

As part of the (ultimately successful) fishing expedition for my dropped transmission band spring earlier this week, I removed the Bendix and the starter. I noticed that the Bendix spring is bent, is this a problem? The starter had been working fine.

spring01

I have ordered a new spring, attaching screws, and washers, but I'm wondering if I should save the bent spring as a usable spare or not. Opinions??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Wednesday, January 01, 2014 - 09:55 am:

The Spring I have no problem with but just in front of where the spring mounts It looks like you are missing a chunk of metal. Springs are available from napa (at least that's where I get mine) but it worries me that you may have loose metal somewhere!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson-Nicholasville, Kentucky on Wednesday, January 01, 2014 - 09:56 am:

Mark
Throw the bent spring away.
Make sure you are buying the correct spring, bolts and keepers. Some of the reproduction parts the suppliers are selling are not correctly made and cause problems, in some cases serious.
Give me a call if you need more details.
Ron the Coilman
859-881-1677

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange on Wednesday, January 01, 2014 - 10:00 am:

I noticed that too, so I took a closer look.

It isn't broken, it looks like the pinion gear was made that way, maybe to make it hang the same way all the time on the spiral part of the Bendix shaft?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson-Nicholasville, Kentucky on Wednesday, January 01, 2014 - 10:13 am:

Mark
I can see nothing wrong with the drive gear counterweight. It it is a counterweight that allows the gear to move down the drive sleeve threads when the starting motor is energized.
Ron the Coilman

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ROBERT BERGSTADT on Thursday, January 02, 2014 - 11:36 am:

We make the bolts for bendix also the spring, let me know, Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick on Thursday, January 02, 2014 - 12:33 pm:

Which system are you using? 12v or 6v When my car was a 12v it twisted the spring so that the bolt attachments were on opposite sides of the bendix shaft. I have since changed back to the original 6v. Jim Patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange on Thursday, January 02, 2014 - 12:41 pm:

Jim, my car is 6V, negative ground.

I checked the starter shaft and it is straight, so I re-installed the starter this morning.

I'm not going to install the Bendix and Bendix cover until after I receive and install my brake equalizer, since the Bendix and Bendix cover would restrict access to the brake pedal linkage.

Thanks for all your help.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Danuser on Friday, January 03, 2014 - 01:33 pm:

Mark I carry all those pcs too danuser88@ktis.net

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration