Steering column thread

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Steering column thread
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By michael grady on Wednesday, January 01, 2014 - 02:08 pm:

Hey guys,

Do any of you happen to know what die i should use to chase the threads of the end of the steering column that hold the steering wheel on? I'm afraid I've bunged them up a bit. I've been trying to clear them with a file, but no luck, and my thread file doesn't seem to fit.

Happy New Year!

Michael

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Wednesday, January 01, 2014 - 02:09 pm:

It's 5/8" x 16 tpi.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By michael grady on Wednesday, January 01, 2014 - 02:22 pm:

hmmm...the internet has lots of 5/8 x 18 tpi, but I don't see the 5/8 - 16. Should I re-tap the brass nut to a 5/8 -18 and re-thread the column with the same? Or, do one of you guys have a secret place for finding odd sized dies?

Thanks for the help!

Michael

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tex Holtby on Wednesday, January 01, 2014 - 02:35 pm:

Michael - I have a 5/8 - 16 NS die in my tool box that you are welcome to borrow if needed. It is not a common thread. Tex

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Wednesday, January 01, 2014 - 03:01 pm:

Michael
Thread files are available. "Snap-On" has excellent ones. If you buy the pair they sell, you will be able to "chase" just about any non-metric thread pitch. You get 8 different thread pitches per file, so a total of 16 different thread pitches with the pair.
I put them in the category of tools I don't use often, but when I need them they are worth having on hand.
I suspect there are other lower quality versions available.
I have also seen other versions of universal thread repair tools over the years.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Wednesday, January 01, 2014 - 03:27 pm:

Victor Machinery Exchange has them, along with quite a number of special thread taps and dies, and a 5/8 x 16 is very reasonably priced at $16.50.

http://www.victornet.com/tools/Special-Thread-Taps/199.html

However, I agree with Les; a thread file is the way to go on something like a steering pinion.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By michael grady on Wednesday, January 01, 2014 - 08:27 pm:

I just sent Tex a private message to take him up on his kind offer.

What a generous group of men we have on this forum.

By the way, I tried a thread file. However, my file does not have the same thread needed. Do they make thread files that are 5/8 - 16?

Michael

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Wednesday, January 01, 2014 - 08:58 pm:

The Snap On Thread restorer comes in 11, 12, 13, 14, 16, 18, 20 and 24 TPI. It doesn't care what the diameter is.

Click here:
http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item.asp?item_ID=651967&group_ID=675361

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By michael grady on Wednesday, January 01, 2014 - 09:13 pm:

Thanks Royce!

Happy New Year!

Michael

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By michael grady on Wednesday, January 01, 2014 - 11:26 pm:

RV - I looked though victor and don't see the 5/8 -16 die. Are you sure you saw one? So you see a part number? Just interested to have one if they are available.

Thanks!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tex Holtby on Thursday, January 02, 2014 - 09:04 am:

Michael - I'll put the die in the mail today after work (I'd do it sooner but it looks like I'll be dealing with snow removal for most of the day - currently -9 with wind chill)...... No rush in returning it. Tex

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Thursday, January 02, 2014 - 09:22 am:

Michael - this page http://www.victornet.com/tools/Special-Thread-Dies/198.html part # RD-5/8-16-C Price $18.20

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By michael grady on Thursday, January 02, 2014 - 10:36 am:

Thanks! Just had trouble funding it for some reason

Michael

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Friday, January 03, 2014 - 10:05 am:

Sorry Michael; I failed to notice that I was posting the TAPS page and not the DIES page. A bit of brain freeze; it's been kinda brisk out here the last few days. Looks like G.R. has you covered.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration