DOME LIGHT

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: DOME LIGHT
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Eddie on Wednesday, January 01, 2014 - 05:33 pm:

Should a 26 tudor have a dome light in the headliner. Mine has the light above the instruments on the dash. I have ordered the upholstery kit, so if a dome light is an option now is the time to install

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave DeYoung ......... Stoughton, WI on Wednesday, January 01, 2014 - 05:43 pm:

Only the Fordor had a dome light. I own a Tudor and if I ever have to R&R the headliner, I would put one in a minute.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Shawn Hayward on Wednesday, January 01, 2014 - 06:32 pm:

Our tudor has a dome light , gas gauge, ruxell,
and is 100 % un touched it was purchased by my grand father ,

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Severn - SE Texas on Wednesday, January 01, 2014 - 08:18 pm:

Tell me please, should a 1921 Center Door Sedan have a dome light? My car does not. Interior was done by a previous owner.

Bill

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Barry Fowler - Eagle River, Alaska on Wednesday, January 01, 2014 - 08:20 pm:

My 1919 Center Door interior was also done by a previous owner. The car has two dome lights!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Eddie on Wednesday, January 01, 2014 - 08:49 pm:

Thanks gentlemen,
I think I'll install a dome light, on the originally equipped cars where is the switch mounted?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick on Thursday, January 02, 2014 - 07:40 am:

On the '26-'27 Fordor, the dome light is for the benefit of passengers entering and exiting from the curb side as the switch is located on the right side column post between the rear door and rear quarter window, which the Tudor does not have, so on the Tudor, I assume the most appropriate position would be the right column post just in front of the rear window. Jim Patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Shawn Hayward on Thursday, January 02, 2014 - 09:25 am:

We rarely ever get this car out ,
so I am trying to remember , I know we have one with the switch on the post between the window and the door ,
but I know I have a dome light with a built in switch
and I can't remember which car it is in
it is -39 C here today (counting wind chill ) ,
if it warms up on the weekend I can go to the barn and take a picture

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick on Thursday, January 02, 2014 - 09:49 am:

Here is the location of the dome light switch on my '26 fordor on the right column between the rear door and quarter window. Jim Patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Katy, Texas on Thursday, January 02, 2014 - 04:14 pm:

The dome light with a built in switch, is a Model A coupe domelight. Ford only offered the factory domelight on T fordors and the push/pull switch, as Jim Patrick posted, is the correct switch. If a T fordor domelight can be found (and they sometimes come up on Ebay), and the correct push/pull switch (which is not reproduced) cannot be found, a Model A fordor sliding type switch is about the only alternative. The correct clear lens on a T domelight should be frosted and have a starburst pattern molded into them (at least the two that I have had, did).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Shawn Hayward on Thursday, January 02, 2014 - 05:09 pm:

Hi Terry
I have a tudor which I have the complete history on since the day it was purchased
and it has a dome light ,switch is by the passenger side door frame
I know it came with the car , so it must have been an option in 26,
the car has never had a part changed
and was driven very little ,
as in the mountains where my grandparents lived the road closed in the fall , and my grandfather had a T snowmobile
he then purchase an A and this one went into the barn
it also has a ruxell, gas gauge, wire wheels ,
the only missing part is the passenger seat , my grandfather's A caught fire the seat burnt , so he took the one from the T

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Thursday, January 02, 2014 - 07:40 pm:

Shawn,

Is your 1926 Tudor a USA, Canadian, or a car manufactured in a different location?

Also, from your description it sounds like it would be great to take a lot of photos and post/share/send them in for publication etc. I for one would appreciate that and/or photos for my files etc.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Shawn Hayward on Thursday, January 02, 2014 - 08:22 pm:

Hap
it was Purchased new near Stoneham, Quebec Canada
by James Whalen , My grandfathers nieghbor

My grandfather bought it from him a few years later
he drove it for about 1 year , before buying a model A ,
I spoke with James son about 4 yrs ago , just before he passed away , his first question to me was
'do you know what happened to my fathers model T ?"
So for the first time since the 60's we took it out and got it running , I videoed it and sent him a copy , he passed away about 6 months later
I forgot to mention it came with shock absorbers
as well ,
the front lights have a crossbar , but it is registered as a 26
I will take pictures of it all in the spring if I remember
thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Thursday, January 02, 2014 - 09:36 pm:

Shawn - Is the switch for your dome light a push - pull switch like the one in the picture above that Jim Patrick posted?

Thanks, Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Thursday, January 02, 2014 - 09:39 pm:

Wonder why Ford didn't offer dome lights in the Coupe's. Hmmmmm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Katy, Texas on Thursday, January 02, 2014 - 09:47 pm:

Shawn, The fact that it is Canadian probably explains a tudor having a domelight. I haven't ever heard of any U.S. produced tudors having one factory installed. It is unfortunate that the country of origin was not mentioned in your first post. Otherwise, I wouldn't have made the statement that no tudors had domelights. I will now clarify my statement that I haven't ever heard of or seen any U.S. produced tudors with a dome light, but if anyone has one and it can be documented (like with a original Bill of Sale), that will make a believer out of me. Does your light have the starburst pattern? The reason I said it might be a Model A is the only one available that I know of now is Shyder's part number A-13779. The light assembly, as well as the lens and switch are available separately. Respectfully submitted, Terry Woods

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Shawn Hayward on Thursday, January 02, 2014 - 09:51 pm:

Keith
I will try to get out to the barn after work tomorrow , and look ,
if I cab I will take a picture
thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Katy, Texas on Thursday, January 02, 2014 - 09:54 pm:

I failed to mention that I have heard and read that there are many other differences in 26-27 U.S. and Canadian production. A forum search will probably reveal them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Shawn Hayward on Thursday, January 02, 2014 - 10:11 pm:

Hi Terry
I will have to check ,
I do know that no one has ever changed anything on this car , it is un restored ,and up until a few years ago was in the barn behind a few others where it had been since the 40's ,I am pretty sure it has the ford installed oil in the rear end
it was out once in the 60's for a weekend for a family reunion (I have pictures) but never worked on , I will restore this at some point , but have a few before it
thanks will try to see it this week end

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration