Head bolt torque

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Head bolt torque
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Ferguson on Wednesday, January 01, 2014 - 07:45 pm:

Hi all and a Happy New Year to you. I was having some issues a while back and you guys are great, lots of help and very much appreciated. This is my first T, a 26 coupe. Really nice car, excellent body but doesn't run for crap.
Anyway, long story short, I put in a new head gasket and new head bolts but I have no idea what the torque should be. I currently have them at 60pounds of torque. Is that enough?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andy Loso St Joseph, MN on Wednesday, January 01, 2014 - 07:56 pm:

60 is plenty, generally 50 or 55 is used.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Ferguson on Wednesday, January 01, 2014 - 08:01 pm:

Thanks Andy, have a great new year.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Wednesday, January 01, 2014 - 09:34 pm:

I have stripped threads out of a block using 60 lbs. Since then I use 50 and haven't had any problems, with either stripped threads or leaking gaskets.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Thode Chehalis Washington on Wednesday, January 01, 2014 - 09:40 pm:

I used 35 ft-lbs on mine, worked well.
Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Wednesday, January 01, 2014 - 09:56 pm:

That's the lowest I've ever heard. 50/55 is what I use and of course a re-torque after heating it up to operating temp and an overnight cool down. the dope is to do it again after 500 miles. Never have.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Wednesday, January 01, 2014 - 10:29 pm:

What are you guys using for head gasket sealer?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan B on Wednesday, January 01, 2014 - 10:32 pm:

If you really got them to 60ft lbs without ruining anything, you're lucky. Ford did not use torque wrenches on any bolt installed in the factory. In fact, paragraph 373 of the service manual only instructs to tighten the head bolts evenly.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walt Berdan, Bellevue, WA on Thursday, January 02, 2014 - 12:29 pm:

I install head gaskets dry and a final torque of 55 ft/lbs. Never had a problem which doesn't say I won't strip a thread on the next one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Thursday, January 02, 2014 - 12:37 pm:

Uncle Jack -- I use Copper-Coat in the little can with a brush, not the spray kind. I smear it generously on both sides of the gasket. Nothing against the spray, I've just never used it. Maybe I'd like it better. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth from NC on Thursday, January 02, 2014 - 12:45 pm:

I use the Copper Coat spray version. No issues that I know of. (knock on wood)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Thode Chehalis Washington on Thursday, January 02, 2014 - 12:55 pm:

I use Copper-Coat spray. It is quick and easy to get a nice uniform coating on both sided of the gasket.
Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick on Thursday, January 02, 2014 - 01:01 pm:

50 lbs. torque. Copper spray gasket sealer on all four surfaces gives the most uniform application. Re-torque again to 50 lbs. after running up to full operating temperature and cooldown. Jim Patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, January 02, 2014 - 01:06 pm:

"Uncle Jack -- I use Copper-Coat in the little can with a brush, not the spray kind. I smear it generously on both sides of the gasket. Nothing against the spray, I've just never used it. Maybe I'd like it better."

Ditto.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick on Thursday, January 02, 2014 - 01:30 pm:

Correction. I sprayed it on both sides of the gasket, but not on the block or head surfaces so as not to spray it on the combustion surfaces, cylinder heads, walls or valves. Jim Patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Friday, January 03, 2014 - 11:01 am:

I like the copper spray, too.

The benefit I see about using the K&W brand that Jim posted for my Model T is that it, "Won't harm oxygen sensors." However, it does NOT say anything about not hurting distributors or water pumps...

: ^ )

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wilbur Swearingin on Friday, January 03, 2014 - 01:55 pm:

Is the 50-55 pounds appropriate for a
Aluminum Z head?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kerry van Ekeren (Australia) on Friday, January 03, 2014 - 03:09 pm:

This may help Wilbur, less pounds for Aluminum.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Friday, January 03, 2014 - 04:34 pm:

'Z' Head install instructions packaged with the alum hi compression head.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Todd on Saturday, January 04, 2014 - 11:21 am:

"What are you guys using for head gasket sealer?"

1 or 2 coats of aluminum spray paint on the gasket, works good and easy to clean off if ever removed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bud Holzschuh - Panama City, FL on Saturday, January 04, 2014 - 05:28 pm:

1915 touring. Copper coat and 35 ft/lbs (in 5 lb increments). No leaks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Saturday, January 04, 2014 - 05:49 pm:

Stock engine; Grease or copper coat or both depending on the condition of the used head gasket I have on hand. Knock on wood, has held up so far. :-) Your experience may very.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration