T to A intake/exhaust conversion issue

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: T to A intake/exhaust conversion issue
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tyrone Thomas - Topeka KS on Thursday, January 02, 2014 - 11:11 am:

has anyone converted a T int/exh/carb system to an A int/exh/carb system and had trouble starting and strong running? This engine i'm looking at is stock, was easy to start and run before conversion. Has same distributor before and after. Now will only hit now and then. Pulled plugs and cranked, plugs fire.

Possible intake leak, carb issue.

*Could the larger bore of the intake runner and large thoat carb, along with the poor draw of a stock T engine, can not pulling enough good air/fuel mixture in to fire the engine?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Katy, Texas on Thursday, January 02, 2014 - 04:22 pm:

Tyrone, I have this on my 26 fordor (except I used a Model B exh. manifold) and it runs super. You've either got a carburetor or fuel delivery problem, I would think.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mike_black on Thursday, January 02, 2014 - 05:35 pm:

On one of my speedsters I've got a B model intake and exhaust with the intake closed off and opened on top for a downdraft Carter W-1 carb. I agree with Terry. Check for vacuum leak.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tyrone Thomas - Topeka KS on Thursday, January 02, 2014 - 05:57 pm:

The car will coming over when the weather improves but I tend to agree the above assumtions. The first place I'll look is the intake mounting (gaskets) and work my way out to the carb, back to the fuel tank. I love troubleshooting.

Thank you

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Friday, January 03, 2014 - 12:14 pm:

If you are running a Model A or B carb you might not be opening the GVA enough. Maybe start with a turn and 1/2 from being seated along with using the choke. Model A's used the choke the same way as T's to prime the motor. Once it starts and warms up a bit close the GVA to maybe 1/4 turn open from its seat. Your engine, weather and carb combination may take some experimenting to get the correct setting.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tyrone Thomas - Topeka KS on Friday, January 03, 2014 - 02:13 pm:

Mark I thought about too. It could be the owner is not adjusting the mixture rich enough to compensate for the increased amount of air. Causing a too lear mix to even start the car.

However, this is a model A man so perhaps he is over mixing (as he would mix for an A) for the less draw of air the T engine has compared to the A.

Either way, it should not be to hard to find the problem(s). Its not that this guy could not find the problem, its just he is so busy restoring every one else's, he does not have time to enjoy his own vehicles.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Friday, January 03, 2014 - 08:02 pm:

I work with someone like that, at least that's what he tells everyone. :-)

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration