T Block on E-Bay cast the same day as mine 11/22/13

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: T Block on E-Bay cast the same day as mine 11/22/13
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Stewart -Calif. on Thursday, January 02, 2014 - 08:11 pm:

There is a 1914 Model T engine block for sale on E-Bay that was cast the exact same day as the one in my 1914 T Runabout. 11/22/13. How rare is that?
Here is a link to it I hope.http://www.ebay.com/itm/121241718075?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STR K%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Stewart -Calif. on Thursday, January 02, 2014 - 08:14 pm:

Here is a picture of my Block casting date 11/22/13.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Clayton Swanson on Thursday, January 02, 2014 - 08:18 pm:

1600 bucks for a block with a chunk of the front bearing broke out? goodness, i must have some valuable junk here

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Wolf on Thursday, January 02, 2014 - 08:18 pm:

Guess u could grind off that number or what ever it is,

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Stewart -Calif. on Friday, January 03, 2014 - 12:36 pm:

I wonder how many T Blocks would have been cast on that date? I thought it neat to see another one cast on the same date 100 years later.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Barrett on Monday, January 06, 2014 - 12:27 am:

Dream on, dude. I just brought home an early 14 block in nice shape with a late 13 casting date I'd let go for half that money. No missing chunks of main bearing. Threaded core plugs. I had thought those were gone by late in 13. We'll watch the auction and see what happens. Maybe my nice block is worth more than I thought. eBay can get crazy.
Erik

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Monday, January 06, 2014 - 06:00 am:

Erick, I might be interested in your block.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Barrett on Tuesday, January 07, 2014 - 11:15 am:

Se the block and also a 1915/16 engine at the classifieds.
Erik

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill in Adelaida Calif on Wednesday, January 08, 2014 - 12:11 am:

Out of curiosity I checked my 14 engine block. It was cast on Oct 24 1913 and has a serial number of 361997 making it a Oct 28th serial number. Eric's engine was cast two days earlier and his serial number was Nov 20. Apparently cast date does not reflect on assy date other than they were always cast before they assembled :-)
By way it looks like Eric's two blocks were cast exactly 2 years apart...to the day!

Bill

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Barrett on Wednesday, January 08, 2014 - 02:23 am:

The relationship between casting dates and serial numbers is completely unpredictable. I think it has to do with how batches of block castings were stored and then retrieved for machining and building. Sometimes more blocks were cast than machined, sometimes the opposite. I have built engines that were cast and built between days and months apart.
Erik

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Stewart -Calif. on Thursday, January 09, 2014 - 05:46 pm:

My engine Number is 395707 a date
of 12/16/1913. The casting date is the 11/22/13, like the one on E-Bay, which also is 50 years to the day before President Kennedy was Assassinated.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration