The First Serious Storm of the Year

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: The First Serious Storm of the Year
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Friday, January 03, 2014 - 02:45 am:

Here on Long Island, we're not really equipped to deal with the kind of snow and low temps that are a matter of routine in places like Minnesota, Wyoming and Wisconsin, and we're really taking a pasting with tonight's blizzard. The governor has shut down the Long Island Expressway (I-495) for the night because of wind gusts up to 55 mph. That's pretty serious when the road is covered with snow and ice.

Right now, we're at 15 degrees F and expecting a low of 4 degrees (which, combined with wind-chill factors will make for downright dangerous cold). With that in mind, I just went into the garage and drained the coolant out of my Model T. We expect to see quite a bit of snow accumulation come dawn, but we've got eggs, oatmeal, pancake mix and hot cocoa — plenty of comfort food. We should be okay as long as the power lines stay up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brendan Hoban on Friday, January 03, 2014 - 04:26 am:

Bob,

I feel for you.

Here in downunder Australia it is 24C (76 F) and sunny.

We took our grand daughters (8 and 9) kite flying in the 22 Model T touring with top down.

Breezes were gentle in our local park as we overlooked placid Port Phillip Bay at the time.

Aaaah, summer in Australia!!

Brendan Hoban

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Partington on Friday, January 03, 2014 - 05:14 am:

Brendan,OK for you in Victoria up here in Qld it has been over 40 C for the last week. We have kites for the grandkids who are coming next weekend but I am afraid that the nylon covering might just melt. Started my 12 Touring this morning now 12 hours later the radiator is still hot to touch. In Windorah Qld a day or so ago it was 57 C or 120plus F.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Jablonski on Friday, January 03, 2014 - 05:53 am:

Bob:

We're experiencing the same weather in southern coastal New Jersey.... drifting snow, 15 degrees with wind chill of about 4 ... no road closures that we're aware. Your area expected to get the worst according to CBS news. Stay warm.

Looked at the T in the garage, gave her another blanket.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Friday, January 03, 2014 - 07:24 am:

Just came in to get a cup of coffee. I've been out plowing since 4:00 am. I plowed all day yesterday and gave up around 6:00 pm because of the wind. I have 12" to 14 " of snow and 3 foot snow drifts. I plow 15 lane miles of roads and 6 parking lots at a Boy Scout reservation. I have to have it ready for the campers that are coming tonight. We are open year around and if I'm not on a tractor mowing I'm in the backhoe plowing snow. We have just under 1200 acres here with 64 structures, gas wells, etc. so I'm kept quite busy year around.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Friday, January 03, 2014 - 07:25 am:

I forgot to mention it's 8 degrees and always fun starting diesels when it's cold.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Friday, January 03, 2014 - 07:44 am:

Bob; I see in your list of food you didn't mention the #1 Comfort food "BACON" what's up wit dat?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Friday, January 03, 2014 - 07:47 am:

In Central control here in Florida Just checked the outside temp 29F I guess I'm going to have to move further south! At least my fruit trees are covered.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan on Friday, January 03, 2014 - 07:49 am:

Bob, Up here in a frozen tundra of northern WI we are always happy to share. Enjoy! It's -9 around here this AM...heat wave! That will give you all something to look forward to.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Friday, January 03, 2014 - 08:30 am:

Speaking of Wisconsin:

You saw our rotten wx in the HME pix, and the RoseBowl. It never rains on that dam parade.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn on Friday, January 03, 2014 - 09:44 am:

Bob: I live in N.Central Ohio, it was 6 below this morning, is still 4 below now at 9:30!! We had 40 mph winds and blowing snow all day yesterday. You're gonna get it worse by now I hate to say! We're expecting 15 below by next Tuesday morning. Hasn't been that cold since 1994.

Dennis: wow, you're "warm" at 8 degrees!!! LOL My dad used to be the caretaker at a Girl Scout camp near here, so I know what you're talking about with all the things needing to be done. These kids will camp in anything! Have you tried the ol' hairdryer trick up the air intake to start a cold diesel?

Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Friday, January 03, 2014 - 09:55 am:

Sure hope the Party can tax and regulate Global Warming into oblivion before we all freeze to death.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Derek Kiefer - Mantorville, MN on Friday, January 03, 2014 - 09:57 am:

It warmed up pretty nice today at 22deg. Tomorrow is going to be nice too... 19deg. Going to get cold again by Monday with a HIGH of -15.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick on Friday, January 03, 2014 - 10:08 am:

In 2004 a hurricane was approaching Florida from the south, so I decided to buy an eu 3000 Honda is generator "just in case". It happened to be the best purchase of my life because we suffered a direct hit followed by two more direct hurricane hits within 2 weeks. For weeks, because of fallen trees and down powerlines, the power was out and my and my next door neighbors house, who I also supplied power to, via extension cords were the only 2 houses within miles, that had power to power the fridges, fans, lamps, microwave ovens and televisions in both houses.

This, just to remind you that, with those deadly temperatures, I hope you all have a generator "just in case" the power goes out, for one will not last long trying to weather that cold without heat.

Good luck from Florida

Jim Patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Friday, January 03, 2014 - 11:19 am:

Bob Coiro:

In an older post, you said you ran 50/50 antifreeze in your Model T.

That's good to minus 35F. No reason to drain your cooling system.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange on Friday, January 03, 2014 - 11:23 am:

Can't hurt, though, better safe than sorry.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Aldrich Orting Wa on Friday, January 03, 2014 - 11:29 am:

This is an example of why I never complain about the rain here in western Washington. No matter how lousy our weather gets it doesn't kill people.

I LIKE the poem!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, January 03, 2014 - 11:58 am:

When the Kansas winter gets annoying I remind myself that my family came here to escape winters that are worse farther north. We get some really cold weather, but it lasts for days, not months. Just 76 days til spring.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Friday, January 03, 2014 - 12:00 pm:

Might get really cold later but it's melting on my shoveled walk way right now. I'm guestimating some where in the 5/6" area fell over night.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Friday, January 03, 2014 - 01:19 pm:

It hit -10 last night and i just unloaded a ton of corn to burn.Lizzie sits abandoned till spring and i'm not the year around driver i once was.Like the bad news,winter sucks!!Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave DeYoung ......... Stoughton, WI on Friday, January 03, 2014 - 06:46 pm:

Great poem Ricks. We resemble that remark up in the frozen north. Tomorrow we should see +27 but then the bottom falls out.
Monday morning -19
Monday daytime -13
Tuesday morning -19

The Pack-49ers game should be fun to watch with a predicted game time temp of -5.

Dennis; Sounds like you need an old IHC Scout II like I use. Mine handles anything I point it at including the 3'+ high drifts and the heater is awesome. The gas 345 never fails to start.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Friday, January 03, 2014 - 06:51 pm:

Bob, l bailed last Tuesday and am happily in Florida where the cold wave we had here today drove the temperature down to a frigid 68 degrees. Not trying to rub it in but I had trouble getting my '14 up to normal operating temperature today!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By samuel pine on Saturday, January 04, 2014 - 05:11 am:

Global warming BUSTED!!

Its winter, and thats what winter is suppose to do.

Naming snow storms? are they kiddings. It suppose
to snow. Next will be naming everytime it rains.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn on Saturday, January 04, 2014 - 07:45 am:

Global Warming is in itself a misnomer. It really is more about "climate change", and the resulting extremes in weather, both summer and winter. Ever notice the increase in severity of storms from both seasons over the last few years? This is why. You can blame it on man, nature, whatever. Fact is it's here, and gonna be for probably our short lifetime. All we can do is try to hunker down and prepare for it and try to protect our lives and property. Eventually nature will win.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Saturday, January 04, 2014 - 09:33 am:

The metaphor just couldn’t be more fitting: desperate true believers of global warming/accelerating polar ice melt now find themselves trapped by thousands of square kilometers of summertime sea ice that wasn’t supposed to be there.

http://www.frontpagemag.com/2013/dgreenfield/global-warming-expedition-to-prove- antarctic-ice-is-melting-trapped-by-ice

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By A. Gustaf Bryngelson on Saturday, January 04, 2014 - 06:56 pm:

Ha Royce, that is too funny, it was just a few days ago that the national new reader announced that a ship was caught in thicker than normal winter sea ice, not knowing that it is summer in the southern hemisphere.
As for global warming, it is true, and to prove it all you need to do is travel to Glacier National park, when the rangers tell you how the glaciers have melted in the past century and how bad it is, all you need to do is turn around and look at the beautiful valley and imagine it full of ice as it was before global warming started 10 to 15 thousand years ago before man even dreamed of gas guzzling SUVs.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker on Saturday, January 04, 2014 - 11:12 pm:

This is the last weekend of the Xmas break so I took the two boys to the beach. It was a little chilly, cool wind off the ocean, air temp about 72. Both went in, but we skipped the ice cream... We laughed that even though it was cool, it was better than shoveling snow.

However we did play a killer game of Monopoly when we got home, great fun.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration