Top iron pins

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Top iron pins
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wilber Elliott on Friday, January 03, 2014 - 10:35 am:

Can anyone tell me what type pins to use to hold the top irons together for a 1916 Touring? I have seen the type that's attached to small leather straps that are screwed to the irons, and I have seen the loose pins that slide onto the irons as well. Which is the correct top iron pin to use?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Miller, Mostly in Dearborn on Friday, January 03, 2014 - 10:40 am:

The brass pins with the leather straps are the correct ones. I believe R V Anderson makes them to the original Ford specifications.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Friday, January 03, 2014 - 11:19 am:

1916 was the last year for the brass T-head cotter pins. In '17, with the carried-over oval irons, the same strap and pin was used but the pin was now nickel plated.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Friday, January 03, 2014 - 11:34 am:

Look on your top socket. There should be a small hole about 4" up for the screw that holds the leather strap. There is a thin brass washer used there too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Friday, January 03, 2014 - 11:49 am:

Not a thin brass washer. The washer is actually integrated in the head of the screw.

Also - note the decorative grooves in the strap.

Finally - there is a tendency for people to install straps that are too long. It should just be long enough to do the job.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wilber Elliott on Friday, January 03, 2014 - 01:35 pm:

Are the screws self-tapping or is there a piece of wood on the inside of the iron to hold the screw in place?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Friday, January 03, 2014 - 03:48 pm:

Originally the sockets were "loaded" with a piece of hardwood tamped firmly into place to help support the sheet steel tubing, so, yes; to answer your question.

The straps in question were called "key strap assemblies" by Ford. They were made of the black leather strap with two lengthwise grooves called "paneling," a T-head cotter pin, and the rivet assembly. The straps came in two lengths, a "short" length carrying part #T-3437X, and a "long" with part #T-6837X. The "long" was listed "for touring car only," and the "short" was listed for both. Both straps were punched with a 1/8" hole that was 1/4" from the end. The "long" strap's length from the center of this hole to the center of the eye of the cotter pin is 5-1/2"; the "short" strap's length was 3-1/4".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wilber Elliott on Friday, January 03, 2014 - 05:00 pm:

R.V. Thanks for the detailed information! I notice in your catalog that you carry the correct straps - but do they also include the correct screws? I think the irons I recently bought are reproduction (although they were listed as NOS) because I don't see any holes in the irons where there should be one for these straps.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Friday, January 03, 2014 - 08:36 pm:

They don't have the correct screws included. I could have them made, and they'd be identical to the originals, but I'd have to order 5,000 and so few restorers are interested. I'd sell maybe 500 and have to sit on the other 4500.

Your irons could in fact be NOS; I've seen a lot of variation in the placement of these holes, and I don't remember offhand if the existing drawings spec them, so it could be a "drill after assembly" kind of thing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Saturday, January 04, 2014 - 10:14 am:

The photo Erik posted is great. I guess I stand corrected on the wood screws. The ones I've seen have a separate washer. I would like everyone to notice the correct top saddle strap buckle. They are not brass, or brass plated as many of the reproductions available today. Sorry Russ!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Saturday, January 04, 2014 - 10:17 am:

Erik: Would you kindly post another photo showing how far down the strap for the top saddle goes? When I get them, they are far too long.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration