Rare Roof Model T Ford Racing Car Photos Found

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Rare Roof Model T Ford Racing Car Photos Found
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Greenlees on Friday, January 03, 2014 - 11:05 am:

This is one of two rare original Roof Model T Ford Racing Car photos that were shot on the day that the pictures were taken for the Laurel Motors 1920 catalog. They were equipped
with the 16-valve head as seen below. We have shown this photo and a side view in a special feature on the two cars. Can any of you add more to the story of these cars?

Have any survived?

If you have any more information about them or any other original Model T racing cars photos or or speed and racing literature, we would like to include it in The Model T Ford
Speed and Racing Equipment Series which we are posting. It will also be shared with all here on the Forum.

You can see Part V now covering these cars at: http://theoldmotor.com/?p=110870

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Friday, January 03, 2014 - 11:19 am:

Really cool car, David. I bet it went like a rabbit, but I also bet it needed help to get out of that snow!! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Greenlees on Friday, January 03, 2014 - 05:32 pm:

"I also bet it needed help to get out of that snow!!"

Being a fan of Model T racing cars I aways enjoyed the small photos of the cars in the catalog and wondered about the scene.

Having these clear large-sized photos lets one study them and we noticed that they purposely covered up the tire tracks in the snow before taking the photo.

I am with you, they needed help or tire chains to get out of that snow.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By joe bell on Friday, January 03, 2014 - 05:42 pm:

I saw a 16 valve head, looks nos but has no rocker or push rods, if of interest I will tell you off line who owns it, but they may not want to part with it?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Friday, January 03, 2014 - 06:01 pm:

I'm sure there is interest.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Friday, January 03, 2014 - 10:47 pm:

There is also a 16 valve Roof head on eBad right now. The "Buy it Now" price may be reasonable. Maybe not. The head has had a lot of repair work done to it. One should look it over VERY carefully before buying if one hopes to run it. Rocker arms are there, I have no idea how good or right they are. If I had the money to spare, I would seriously consider it just for kicks.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Roof-Ford-Model-T-16-Valve-OHV-Head-/201009490361?&_trks id=p2056016.l4276

For interest. I have no connection to it.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Thode Chehalis Washington on Saturday, January 04, 2014 - 12:23 am:

On the one listed on ebay, I wonder what would be the repair for this defect?

Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Saturday, January 04, 2014 - 02:32 pm:

Difficult.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Barker - Dayton, OH on Saturday, January 04, 2014 - 05:30 pm:

The one you posted the link for has sold.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Saturday, January 04, 2014 - 10:10 pm:

Roof may be less known than several other suppliers of speedster and race car parts. Certainly, Frontenac and Rajo are better known for heads. But Roof was producing and selling heads before either of them did anything beyond custom design and build (and of course actual racing). All of them contributed a lot to racing in general and the model T market specifically. However Roof really led the pack when it came to designing for and creating that market. Roof supplied some of the first lowering kits to the market and was early on the curve for body kits as well. If I recall correctly, Ames and Paco hit the market with bodies and kits about 1915. Roof was I think a bit after that, but before the many during the '20s. Roof was selling heads and other special parts in 1917.
Again, if I recall correctly, the speedster in the above photo was offered by Roof both as a completed car or in kit form (been a few years since I looked through their catalog). There are a couple of that style around. One I know is a copy, the other I don't know.

I saw that the head sold. I hope the buyer is happy with it. I know it has some repair issues, but a nice one like that goes for about three times that amount (so I've heard, I don't have that kind of money).
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration