Top bow seperator fell off!

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Top bow seperator fell off!
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Friday, January 03, 2014 - 03:36 pm:

We were on the Kanab tour last summer with my 1911 touring. While driving back to the hotel from the Grand Canyon, I heard a metallic "clunk." Something hit the running board. When we got to the hotel I saw this:

The lower (rear) bow "female bow spacer" fell off! It looks like it had been only soldered in place ???

I need to find a replacement female bow spacer and need to figure out how I an going to put the replacement part on.

Any help would be appreciated.

: ^ )

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Friday, January 03, 2014 - 05:00 pm:

Try John Boorinakis. He makes reproduction nesting pins and cups, as well as complete top bow sets.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dale Peterson on Friday, January 03, 2014 - 06:13 pm:

I have one that fell off, too. Only I did not loose it. I'm thinking of drilling a hole in the center and screwing it in place.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Friday, January 03, 2014 - 08:17 pm:

Dale-
How was your attached?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dylan Thomas Wills on Friday, January 03, 2014 - 10:58 pm:

What about a two part glue of some sort?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eyssen - Abilene TX on Saturday, January 04, 2014 - 03:54 pm:

How about the magic fix all: JB Weld?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Sunday, January 05, 2014 - 09:34 pm:

My friend, Phil Mino, came through. Thank you. Phil!

I think I will put some JB Weld or epoxy into the hole in the top socket before I attach the bow separator with a sheetmetal screw.

I'm open to other attachment suggestions and will post my progress. Stay tuned to this station for further developments.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warwick Landy on Sunday, January 05, 2014 - 10:03 pm:

Keith, That piece came off the top iron from overuse! That day at Kanab, everytime we passed you, you were either putting the top up or down! Good luck with the repair. My son has fond memories of riding with you that day.
Happy New Year. Warwick.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kwtownsend on Monday, January 06, 2014 - 01:17 am:

...or adding water!

They really had a good time that day!

Here the top is down, just before the "clunk."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dale Peterson on Monday, January 06, 2014 - 01:38 am:

Keith, mine was originally soldered on. I don't think JB or anything like that looney would work, but the vibrations and bumping against the other parts would tend to knock it off again. The best seems to me to use JB and a screw.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Monday, January 06, 2014 - 10:41 am:

Phil Mino always comes through. Not only that, he is a great guy, and has helped me out several times.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould on Monday, January 06, 2014 - 11:05 am:

JB Weld isn't a glue per se. Use a strong epoxy instead. I've used JB Weld in a lot of applications, a whole lot of applications, but I wouldn't recommend it for your use.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Sunday, February 02, 2014 - 10:29 am:

I cleaned the bow separator with a wire wheel and cleaned the inside with the little type that I can put in a drill press. There were still some little "pockets" of light rust, so I gave it a coat of Extend and let it dry for about a week. I found a suitable slotted hex-head sheet metal screw and painted them with black appliance epoxy paint.

There was some sort of filler (maybe resin?) into the bow, so I put a little pilot hole through the hole in the socket and squirted a bit of gorilla glue into the hole.

I put it on with a nut driver until it could not reach the bottom of hole oft the separator because of the outside diameter of the nut driver, then finished the job with a screwdriver.

Now I'll touch up the joining edge with some black paint using an itty bitty brush.

Thanks again, Phil!

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Sunday, February 02, 2014 - 05:23 pm:

Nice! Thank you for the update.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Sunday, February 02, 2014 - 09:47 pm:

I would have been devastated, but then there's Phil. He's a great guy. You did a nice job there Keith. Say hi to the family.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joseph Geisler on Tuesday, February 04, 2014 - 09:44 pm:

I would like Phil Mino's address pm please. Phil you sold me a lot of parts for my brassys in the 70's and 80's thank you! I was then in Apollo Beach if you can remember me. Thank you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Art Wilson on Wednesday, February 05, 2014 - 12:51 am:

Keith
You might want to add screws to the all of the top and bottom bow spacers.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Wednesday, February 05, 2014 - 11:34 am:

Thanks for the suggestion, Art.

These sockets are reproduction and I presume the spacers are brass. Are all the bow spacers simply soldered to the sockets on the repros?

Keith

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration