Have you seen this before

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Have you seen this before
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brad on Friday, January 03, 2014 - 03:54 pm:

Hello everyone, I am working on my 1915 T and it has a perfecto rear end in it. I noticed it had no internal rear brakes so I pulled the hubs and this is what I found. Has anyone seen this before? Can I use internal brakes with it, and how do you seal it so the oil/grease does not leak out the axle onto the internal brake shows, thank you for any help.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Bender Tulsa Oklahoma on Friday, January 03, 2014 - 04:18 pm:

looks like part of a safety hub.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Bender Tulsa Oklahoma on Friday, January 03, 2014 - 04:38 pm:

Should look something like this. The sleeve is in the axle housing and has pulled out of the bearing. Not a good thing..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kerry van Ekeren (Australia) on Friday, January 03, 2014 - 05:21 pm:

I had a set like that, removed them after the T had a few hundred miles up on them, standing at the rear of the car, they made the housings look like they had bent, camber of the wheels was 1/2" on one side and 3/8" on the other, the seal was the modern one still held in with the sleeve. I went back to a good set of rollers, all stands nice and square now.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Sunday, January 05, 2014 - 10:28 am:

It wouldn't surprise me if the housings have been ruined. I certainly hope not. Perfecto, and 1915 housings are rather scarce too. Good luck. If the housings are still ok, I would consider converting it back to original.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Monday, January 06, 2014 - 12:50 am:

I have floating hubs similar to what Mike has and like them. Never have to worry about losing a wheel with a broken axle.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kohnke Rebabbitting on Monday, January 06, 2014 - 01:43 am:

Brad, the shafts that goes in the housings on each side the big bearing is pressed on them.

They should be locked in with a set screw, or screws like I do them. What you should have done is take out the locking screws, then the whole floating hub comes out, or you end up with what you have.

Kerry, your bearings look to big for a floating hub, unless they were made wrong, or installed wrong, or the pictures make them look that way. Where are the shafts that go in where the bearings used to set? Where were the set screws. There is just no way the wheels should be anything but straight and stay that way, it just doesn't and can not happen when done right.

I will never rebuild a rear end with out floating hubs.

I don't know how you would ever hurt a housing with floating hubs.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kerry van Ekeren (Australia) on Monday, January 06, 2014 - 03:02 am:

Herm, I considered them to be a bit of a useless set-up, on the car when I bought it, the bearing just slid over the housing, nothing inside replacing the roller.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Monday, January 06, 2014 - 07:33 am:

I didn't like the look of the single row ball bearing, so back in '99 I made my own with double row. Overkill?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Monday, January 06, 2014 - 07:52 am:

I have a stub axle that broke at about a 45 degree angle, and torque eventually pushed the collar off the safety hub bearing, and the wheel was lost off a famous T person's Centerdoor.

To allow for this, the sleeve should be retained in the axle with slots, rather than fixed tight to the axle. I did that to mine after seeing the broken axle.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Monday, January 06, 2014 - 10:26 am:

What is wrong with stock, after all, Henry knew what he was doing! I saw a 1910 clamshell someone did that to, and ruined it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Monday, January 06, 2014 - 11:17 am:

The stock setup has always worked well for me. I see no need to change what works well, especially when modifications to original parts are involved. Your mileage may vary.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kohnke Rebabbitting on Monday, January 06, 2014 - 12:23 pm:

Herm, I considered them to be a bit of a useless set-up, on the car when I bought it, the bearing just slid over the housing, nothing inside replacing the roller."END QUOTE"

That would do it Kerry. That would not even be the way they are made, no wonder.

If you bought or made a good set, you would like them.

Herm.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kohnke Rebabbitting on Monday, January 06, 2014 - 12:35 pm:

What is wrong with stock, after all, Henry knew what he was doing! I saw a 1910 clamshell someone did that to, and ruined it."END QUOTE"

He also said axles should be replaced once a year if driven a lot.

So because someone butchered a rear end because they didn't know what they were doing, they don't work!

Without looking at it, it may not even lent it's self to floating hubs.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brad on Sunday, January 19, 2014 - 12:32 am:

Very nice machining work Kohnke Rebabbitting. I have not had a chance to work on the car since I posted the pictures, but I do believe now, I did see a set screw on the housing, but had no idea what it was for, I will keep you posted as to what I find, but thank you all for your comments,
Brad

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration