Gray Davis Starter Generator

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Gray Davis Starter Generator
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brad on Friday, January 03, 2014 - 03:55 pm:

Does anyone out there have any information on a Gray Davis starter generator for a model T. I am getting one but need some assistance in installing and wiring it up, thank you for any help,

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson-Nicholasville, Kentucky on Friday, January 03, 2014 - 05:57 pm:

Brad
In my extensive old car electrical reference library I have a three booklets relating to Gray & Davis and the Model T Ford:
1.) "Gray & Davis Book of Instructions No. A-68 Double Unit System for Ford cars". It is important to understand GD made two units for the Model T Ford car. They are fundamentally the same only one uses third brush regulation and the other uses a regulator/cutout. Both are depicted in the booklet and you will be able to tell what you actually have.
2.) I also have a 1921 book entitled "Automobile Electrical Systems" and Chapter III Special Systems for Ford-Gray & Davis which is is basically the same information with about 25 pages describing in detail operation including the two different regulators.
3.) I also have a 1923 book entitled "Automotive Engineering", Section "Electrical Equipment" with a sub-section "Special Equipment for Ford Cars" showing installation of the the "Gray & Davis" 3rd brush regulation unit on a Ford car in detail.
All three have physical wiring diagrams, but I cannot find a good electrical circuit schematic for trouble shooting.
Your welcome to a copy of this information for the copy and mailing costs.
Ron the Coilman

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Danuser on Friday, January 03, 2014 - 07:18 pm:

Some where I have a booklet on the gray davis starter, I;ll keep my eyes open for it, as my deceased brother-in-law has one in his collection so I bought the booklet

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brad on Sunday, January 05, 2014 - 01:49 pm:

Thank you very much for your help. I will take a couple pictures of the unit, as it has arrived today and we can see if the literature matches what I have. I would love to get a copy of the literature, thanks,
Brad

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brad on Sunday, January 05, 2014 - 10:48 pm:

Here is the unit I was talking about, needs a little TLC.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brad on Sunday, January 05, 2014 - 10:56 pm:

Here are some photos of the Gray & Davis starter for an early T. Ron Patterson wrote offering considerable literature on G & D. In a post of October 18, 2009 by Dan Treace he shows an old ad for G & D starter setup on a post 15 T. The one I have is completely different. Ron points out that G &D made two different systems for Fords. This one has a regulator and mounts onto the engine on a large crab-like yellow brass bracket. The fan mounts on the intermediate sprocket shaft. It is a special small fan to fit in the space left over. It has a rather neat chain adjustment setup.

My father-in-law, who is an old T man, bought the starter generator at a garage sale in Aylmer, Ont in 1985 for $75. The chap selling it had no idea what it was. About 15 years ago he gave it to a local fellow to put on his 1912 T. He never got to it and is now moving to a new house so we managed to get it back to put on my 15 T. We thought it would be a pretty rare item. It is complete and has never been out in the rain so is like new with the silent chain. Will have to make a crankshaft sprocket and install a new lower chain.

We note that the starter is 6 volt 100 amp capacity. The generator is 6 volt 10 amp at 1000 RPM. The only drawback is that it weighs about 100 lbs so adds a lot of weight to the front left corner of the T.

Your comments would be appreciated.

Thanks, Brad

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Sunday, January 05, 2014 - 11:27 pm:

Be sure to add a double Hasler spring setup on the drivers side! LOL :-) Very neat.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange on Monday, January 06, 2014 - 09:03 am:

No kidding, that thing is a beast! ;^)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson-Nicholasville, Kentucky on Monday, January 06, 2014 - 09:23 am:

Brad
Unfortunately all the literature I have is for the Gray & Davis Model A-68. The unit in your photo does not look anything like a Model A-68. Yours appears to be an earlier version with manual engaged starter drive. The A-68 uses a Bendix drive.
Sorry
Ron the Coilman

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange on Monday, January 06, 2014 - 09:33 am:

Here is an earlier thread on a starter-generator, maybe Jack Putnam can help fill in the details on yours:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/118802/165624.html?1287454779

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver on Monday, January 06, 2014 - 09:50 pm:

looks like gray & Davis made more than one. here is a pix of mine. charleygengengen

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Rodell, Sr.- Wisconsin on Monday, January 06, 2014 - 10:50 pm:

Brad,
Your Gray and Davis starting and lighting system is a Model Y-T, two unit system. It has a Type Y starting motor and a Type T dynamo.
I have the illustrated instruction manual for installing and operating, and the illustrated parts catalog for it. Send a message if you would like copies. I would scan them and send them, but it would take many hours to do on my dial-up.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration