Odd radiator shell-Photo

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Odd radiator shell-Photo
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Friday, January 03, 2014 - 08:31 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wes Nelson ........Bucyrus, MO on Friday, January 03, 2014 - 09:49 pm:

I don't think it's an odd radiator shell, but rather a clamp on to the radiator neck license plate holder.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Friday, January 03, 2014 - 09:53 pm:

I believe that photo was previously discussed within the past few months.

I tried to locate the thread but have had no luck.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Friday, January 03, 2014 - 09:58 pm:

Photo showed up here but only one comment by Larry Smith at the very end.

It sure looks like an aftermarket radiator. The license plate bracket is a separate accessory.

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/331880/393871.html?1381716568

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Friday, January 03, 2014 - 11:21 pm:

It is an after-market radiator. No Ford factory issue had such a wide lower panel. There are a few other differences also (like the way the top is folded from the front). I suspect it has a separate shell over a replacement radiator. Those were fairly common back then, but surprisingly rare now. (Thank you Richard) After-market radiators were made both ways, with separate shells or with attached tanks like the Ford issue.
Great photo again! Some interesting accessories on that car.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Friday, January 03, 2014 - 11:47 pm:

After market radiator, flat front style, Livingston maybe or perhaps Rhome-Turney.

1916 Fordowner

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By KEN PARKER on Saturday, January 04, 2014 - 09:52 am:

Looks like it may be an accessory radiator shroud to support a cover for the front of the radiator. Pines made some for my '35 Ford as well as others and were probably popular in the colder areas. Accordion type screen maybe.

Here in southeast Texas you would get a chance to use one this next week. We are going to hit as low as 25 degrees! Can you imagine that? Miss Happiness wants her Kalanchoes covered for Monday & Tuesday.

Ken in Texas

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown on Saturday, January 04, 2014 - 10:28 am:

Looks like it could be a cover to convert your brass radiator to the new "painted" style. Brass was going out of style because of the work involved in keeping it clean. So when the new painted style came out, the aftermarket people offed a cover to make your old "brass" car look new. I have a cover that Ill try to post a pic of this evening.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Saturday, January 04, 2014 - 11:08 am:

There was a shell like in the photo just sold on ebay in the last week or so.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/FORD-MODEL-T-BRASS-ERA-RADIATOR-SHROUD-E1-/141148261348? hash=item20dd178be4&vxp=mtr

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown on Saturday, January 04, 2014 - 11:51 am:

Here is a pic of a shell similar to the photo.shell

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Saturday, January 04, 2014 - 01:09 pm:

I believe I saw a second one on ebay or one of the sites recently. Wayne is right about them being scarce. I had never seen one until last fall. I'm not sure how many folks would want to cover up a brass shell these days.
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Shawn Hayward on Saturday, January 04, 2014 - 05:59 pm:

I don't know what make this one is , but it is "brass" style black metal

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration