1926 - 27 tie rod rubbing on radius rod what do I need

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: 1926 - 27 tie rod rubbing on radius rod what do I need
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown on Friday, January 03, 2014 - 09:20 pm:

While painting my 1927 sport touring I noticed that my tie rod is rubbing on the radius rod. What parts are unique to the 26 - 27 that keep this from happening. Im not very familiar with the 26 - 27 improved Ts. I do know the spindles are different to lower the front end. Thanks ....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Thode Chehalis Washington on Friday, January 03, 2014 - 09:39 pm:

Donnie,
Have you checked your caster? If it is way off that could cause your problem.
Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Clayton Swanson on Friday, January 03, 2014 - 09:56 pm:

spring perches are what gives you caster. there is a right and left if you look close. many times the axel gets reassembled backwards during the restoration. just an idea, that or something is badly wore out

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown on Friday, January 03, 2014 - 09:59 pm:

I have the motor out at this time, but it has been rubbing for awhile as it has worn a slight flat spot on the radius rod and tie rod. Ill set another pan in the frame tomorrow and see if it changes anything. I think I read something about a different spindle arm for the 26 - 27s. but not sure. I checked my spindles and they are the 26 - 27 style.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Clayton Swanson on Friday, January 03, 2014 - 10:10 pm:

26-7 spindles were made to lower the improved ford. the norm is the spindle sticks straight out from the middle of the king pin, on the improved ford the spindle sticks out about an inch above the center of the king pin

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, January 03, 2014 - 11:14 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown on Friday, January 03, 2014 - 11:32 pm:

I have the 26 - 27 style spindles. I was just wondering if there was anything else different on the Improved Fords that I do not have. Are all the spindle arms the same (other than L&R).? I know there is a one piece spindle for I think 1922 but it will not apply for my 1927. I may have to wait till I get the engine back in and then check closely for something bent ...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Saturday, January 04, 2014 - 12:05 am:

The Ford parts book shows the same spindle arms 1919-1927.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Barker, Somerset, England on Saturday, January 04, 2014 - 09:22 am:

It's possible to install the spindle arms wrong. They should be cranked upwards to lift the tie-rod. My 26 Coupe has about 0.5" clearance between the tie and radius rods. If the spindle arms were cranked down, upside down, (which also means that the left one is on the right side and the right on the left), the rods would touch.
Caster will have an effect. I had far too much. I checked a whole pile of old radius rods and found some that were about 0.25" shorter than mine, and with a shallower angle between the front eyes and the rod plane (about 11 instead of 14 degrees). One of these corrected the caster. It isn't just the perches that set it, though if you have them wrong way round, it will be way off (axle tilt forward) and dangerous. I think that the Improved Fords must have had a shorter/flatter radius rod (even if the part no didn't change) so that the caster angle was maintained with the flatter front spring.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave DeYoung ......... Stoughton, WI on Saturday, January 04, 2014 - 10:49 am:

Just to be clear, are you referring to the tie rod between the wheels or the draglink from the right wheel to the steering arm.

I ask this, because the steering arm for 26-7 is different than the earlier cars. If you use an earlier steering arm on the later cars, the draglink will rub on the wishbone.

If it is the tierod rubbing, I would agree with the others that suggest the one of the steering arms on the spindles have been installed upside down. Perhaps a pic of the problem will help in solving it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown on Saturday, January 04, 2014 - 11:45 am:

It is the tie rods between the wheels that Im talking about. Is the steering arm what we call a drag link today. I think that is what I read about being different. Memory plays tricks on me. I think the angle of the steering arm is different to allow for the lower spring. Is that correct. Its been too cold here today to go and dig out parts in a unheated shed, and we expect snow tonight. May have to wait a day or too to see what I have. I am starting to think it may be the radius rod as Chris was talking about ..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By keith g barrier on Saturday, January 04, 2014 - 01:00 pm:

26-7 front spring has lower arch. KGB

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bud Holzschuh - Panama City, FL on Saturday, January 04, 2014 - 05:33 pm:

FWIW I have seen spindle arms that were bent slightly. Wouldn't take much to make the tie rad rub. Check yours.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration