Old Photos - Mr. Bibendum, The Michelin Man and the Story of the Tire Returns

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Old Photos - Mr. Bibendum, The Michelin Man and the Story of the Tire Returns
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Greenlees on Saturday, January 04, 2014 - 07:16 am:

Surely one of the most recognized company mascots in the world is Mr. Bibendum, better known as the Michelin Man. Equally recognizable, but in an entirely unrelated field, is the Chiclets brand of chewing gum. In the photo, Mr. B can be seen pointing directly to “Afamadas Gomas Michelin” on the side of this confectioner’s Model “T” delivery van which translates to “Famous Michelin Gum”. This seems to imply that the famous tire maker licensed the name for a brand of chewing gum.

Chiclets have been around even longer than Michelin tires, dating back to the 1870′s when Thomas Adams began experimenting with chicle he and General Antonio de Santa Anna imported from Mexico. The story goes that one day, after Adams repeated attempts to produce rubber products including tires from it failed, he popped a small piece into his mouth, found the peppermint flavor quite pleasing and the Adams New York Gum Company was born.

Had Adam’s research turned out differently, we might very well be riding around on his tires and chewing Michelin gum today. You can find many more photos and information about Michelin tires and Mr Bibendem @ http://theoldmotor.com/?p=111084

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells on Saturday, January 04, 2014 - 08:31 am:

I don't know. That Michelin Man looks kind of scary. I always remembered him looking like this.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Miller, Mostly in Dearborn on Saturday, January 04, 2014 - 09:39 am:

I believe gomas translated as gum is referring to the Michelin tires themselves and not a confection. In a similar fashion, Firestone clinchers say Gum Dipped on their sidewalls.

Back then, the chewing gum most certainly would have been chicle based hence the name Chiclets. Now the chewing gum base is a petroleum product.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Saturday, January 04, 2014 - 09:43 am:

There are two Chiclet gum signs on the car and it does refer to chocolate on the side.
I would say that there is some type of confection being talked about here.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange on Saturday, January 04, 2014 - 09:45 am:

Mmmmm, Petroleum....

homer001

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Saturday, January 04, 2014 - 12:01 pm:

Dave, That was Mr. Bibendum in his "natural rubber" day's.

Model T Period Michelin Tire Full Page Advertisements

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/179374/207425.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Saturday, January 04, 2014 - 12:05 pm:

Second set of ads.

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/179374/207481.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas Mullin on Saturday, January 04, 2014 - 01:08 pm:

Is that the same Santa Anna of Alamo infamy?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Jablonski on Saturday, January 04, 2014 - 02:32 pm:

Michelin had as factory in Milltown, New Jersey ( Middlesex county) from about 1924 to 1933..... not too far from where I grew up. I remember the catastrophic fire of the old plant about 1960. There were many small businesses in the factory complex that never returned to Milltown. Most remembered is the covered walkway across two buildings on Main Street on the north side of the lake. Try purchasing Michelins for your improved Ford now... almost $300 each.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Saturday, January 04, 2014 - 03:33 pm:

Imagine how hot it would be to be wearing that tire suit. Neat photos and ads thanks for posting.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Greenlees on Saturday, January 04, 2014 - 03:40 pm:

A very Knowledgeable T.O.M. reader Robbie Marenzi from Argentina gave us his take on the photo: In many Spanish speaking countries car tyres are called “gomas”, to this day that’s the word we use in Argentina and also in Cuba from where the top picture is. The address Marta Abreu 14 in Santa Clara is Cuban. The child in the picture is sitting in a new tyre still wrapped, so it seems “La Estrella” sold chocolates, biscuits, sweets, Chiclets and Michelin tyres.

Below is another neat photo from Huston,Texas we have posted with our earlier Michelin tire history @ http://theoldmotor.com/?p=83362

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Jablonski on Saturday, January 04, 2014 - 03:55 pm:

Looked at the second set of pictures, Milltown production started before July 1916..... news to me.
Thats why we write things down, can't rely on memory.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Stewart -Calif. on Saturday, January 04, 2014 - 04:02 pm:

I like that they are advertising Michelin Automobile Tires on a wagon with steel wheels. And the wagon is Two Horse (Mule) power to boot!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells on Saturday, January 04, 2014 - 07:03 pm:

Thanks David, I didn't notice that the first picture was Santa Clara Cuba. I was in that town just last year. I got to thinking, due to the revolution and trade embargo, almost everyone there drives 1950s cars. Had it happened in 1928 instead, I could imagine Cuba today would have more Model Ts on the road than anywhere on earth. And just think how easy it would be to keep them running compared to a '50s car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Nebraska on Sunday, January 05, 2014 - 01:16 am:

I don't know about you guys, but I like this 1906 Michelin mascot better :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Spaziano, Bellflower, CA. on Sunday, January 05, 2014 - 01:34 am:

I believe that "Bibendum" is the oldest, currently used advertising logo in the world.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Greenlees on Sunday, January 05, 2014 - 07:38 am:

"I don't know about you guys, but I like this 1906 Michelin mascot better"

MUCH, MUCH more attractive.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration