Robe Rail in 1927 touring. Mounting suggestions. ???

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Robe Rail in 1927 touring. Mounting suggestions. ???
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown on Saturday, January 04, 2014 - 11:59 am:

I have a 27 Sport Touring. I want to mount one of my robe rails to the back of the front seat, and I do not want to remove the uphoulstery. I do not think just using sheet metal screws will be good enough. If I have too I will use sheet metal screws and replace with bolts and nuts later if I need to remove the uphoulstery for any reason ... Any suggestions .... Thanks ....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange on Saturday, January 04, 2014 - 12:01 pm:

Why not those expanding wing nut drywall fasteners? The only downside is that they may require a larger hole than you would otherwise need.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Saturday, January 04, 2014 - 12:28 pm:

Easy to do with just large diameter sheet metal screws. I found some stainless single slot, oval head sheet metal thread screws.

Works just fine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cary Abate on Saturday, January 04, 2014 - 09:16 pm:

I just reattached a bulb horn on my 10 with RivNuts 1/4 -20. Solid now. I was in the AutoDoor industry 30 years and all mounting is via RivNut. You need a RivNut tool, about 60 dollars. RivNuts come in alum and in a goldtone color for Brass cars. 200% better than any sheet metal screws. Don't waste your money on cheap tools and buy only CRL RivNuts.
You will not believe how good they are in the old cars.
Avoid steel. Not Rivets-RivNuts.
Cary

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown on Saturday, January 04, 2014 - 10:00 pm:

Cary: I found some rivnuts kits on ebay. They were about 41.00 for tool and 10 nuts each in 5 different sizes in aluminum. Do I need the steel nuts.? Are The aluminum ones good enough.... Sounds like a usefull tool and something I do not have....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cary Abate on Saturday, January 04, 2014 - 11:14 pm:

The Aluminum one. Steel are too hard to set and replace.

Cary

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration