Old Photo - Proud New FORD Owners

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Old Photo - Proud New FORD Owners
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Saturday, January 04, 2014 - 03:31 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mike_black on Saturday, January 04, 2014 - 03:54 pm:

Good shot of the "hump" on the 15 splash apron.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carl Klem on Saturday, January 04, 2014 - 08:12 pm:

I hope he didn't drive with his hand on the gas thru the steering wheel !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells on Saturday, January 04, 2014 - 09:04 pm:

No doubt they're enjoying the new car but, it's time to put it away and cut the grass!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Sunday, January 05, 2014 - 01:48 am:

Note the "four rivet" front fenders.
And I second the note about the "hump" in the side/splash apron. Colloquialism, semantics, I really do not want to start a discussion on what those things are called. But when I restored my late'15/early'16 center-door sedan some years back, I tried to make it as correct as I could. I looked at many dozens of photos of '15s and '16s trying to find out what was right. All the reproductions were straight at the back. I was told by many "experts" that the repros were right and the originals were straight. But I believed the photos did not lie. A lot of them may have been silent. But the consensus of those photos that showed anything was that the cars did have the offset or "hump" near the back end of the aprons.
It took me about a year to find and get a usable pair. This surprised me because almost everybody was replacing the originals with the repros. I figured there should be a bunch of them around. Instead, I got tired of hearing "Oh I threw those out years ago". "You should just buy the reproductions because they are SO nice and easier to restore". Maybe that is one of the reasons I became such a die-hard "don't throw it out" guy.
I already have a rough set for my '15 runabout project (thank you Dan).
I would have really liked seeing this photo when I was doing that research.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ake Osterdahl on Sunday, January 05, 2014 - 03:30 am:

Wayne
... I think it's "three" rivet the front fenders ....?
1915 Touring had

Ake

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Sunday, January 05, 2014 - 10:06 am:

Three rivet front fenders it is. And I agree he should have cut the grass so we could have seen more details on the car! Of course, that is probably his neighbors property so he didn't have to worry about that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Sunday, January 05, 2014 - 10:55 am:

Cut it once and you have to keep on cutting it! Maybe it's an onion field.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Derek Kiefer - Mantorville, MN on Sunday, January 05, 2014 - 11:10 am:

That does look to be a 3-rivet fender.

Does anyone know when the 3-rivet was introduced? Late 14 or early 15?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Sunday, January 05, 2014 - 11:24 am:

Wayne -- I had a discussion with Rootlieb about those splash shields after buying a set without the "crease." They told me that they came both ways originally, but I have never seen an original set without that feature. I think they make them that way because it's easier for them, and they made up the story about their being offered both ways originally. He said they could put the crease in them, so I sent those back to have that done. They looked TERRIBLE. Nothing at all like the originals. So I sent those back as well. I had as much in shipping costs as a good used set would have cost, and they would have been correct.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Sunday, January 05, 2014 - 01:28 pm:

Well, Mike, my '14 has bona fide original aprons without that hump.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, January 05, 2014 - 02:40 pm:

I guess whoever put my 15 together was paying attention to that detail.

I never noticed until you guys mentioned it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Sunday, January 05, 2014 - 04:29 pm:

Original aprons on my '14 have the hump.

Here's a near new 14 - notice the hump:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Sunday, January 05, 2014 - 04:48 pm:

RV -- Who said anything about 14's? :-)

Just to clarify about the hump / crease issue, the Rootlieb shields do splay out at the rear, so they are shaped more or less like the originals. But it's just a gradual taper and they don't have the crease there where it begins. Steve's pic shows the crease well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange on Sunday, January 05, 2014 - 04:49 pm:

Newbie question - is the hump there just for aesthetics, or is there something behind it that needed the extra clearance?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wilber Elliott on Sunday, January 05, 2014 - 04:50 pm:

When I found my early 1916 Touring in a barn in Ohio, where it had sat untouched for 40 years, it still had the original creased/flared splash aprons on it. During the restoration process, while removing fenders/etc. for stripping and paint, I thought about tossing the old aprons because they were pretty rusted up and I figured the reproduction ones were probably just as good and would be cheaper than putting money into fixing the old ones. Thankfully, a friend of mine (who knows a WHOLE LOT more about T's than I do) told me the repro's didn't have the distinctive crease/flare that the originals had and I should keep them. Thankfully, I listened and now I am sure glad I did - I think it sets my car apart from the rest! Now, every time I see a 1915/16 I always look to see if the splash aprons are creased and 9 out of 10 are usually straight.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, January 05, 2014 - 05:33 pm:

The encyclopedia says the purpose of the hump is to clear the brake rods. With the car sitting still they're not even close, but I suppose a big bump could close the gap if the apron was straight.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells on Sunday, January 05, 2014 - 08:26 pm:

That's a stunning beauty of a '16 Wilber. Good on you for preserving those splash aprons and also for not being tempted to install brass light trim like a '15 would have. '16 is a good year in that it's instantly recognizable by any knowledgeable T owner.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Watson -Florence,Colorado on Sunday, January 05, 2014 - 10:44 pm:

Royce,
Just for your records
The nearly new 1914 is a Canadian car from British Columbia
-Don

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wilber Elliott on Monday, January 06, 2014 - 10:37 am:

Thanks, Dave! I was really torn when I found the car - I was looking for a 1915 with brass and when I found out that it was built in Nov. of 1915, I thought it was a true '15. But after learning that Ford started his new model year in the last quarter of the previous year, I was a little disappointed that it was a '16 and not a '15. I really struggled with what to do in restoration - easily turn it into a '15 (after all, it WAS built in 1915) or return the car as it would have looked coming off the assembly line - a 1916 model year built in 1915? Well, I am a purist at heart and just couldn't put all that brass on where it wasn't supposed to be. I did buy a set of brass-trimmed side/tail lamps and tried them on, and although it looked good I knew it wasn't right. So a true 1916 she is and I am proud of her! Interestingly, the car has some 1915 parts such as an aluminum hogs head and non-ribbed rear housing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Monday, January 06, 2014 - 10:46 am:

Good for you, Wilber -- you did the right thing. It's a beautiful car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mike_black on Monday, January 06, 2014 - 10:47 pm:

Mike Walker,
Wilber might need that 1916 specific taillight/tag holder you have. I bet most folks don't know the 16 was different from all other years. I've looked at a lot of 15's since I put the correct one on mine, and to date, none I've seen had the correct 15 bracket.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gilbert V. I. Fitzhugh on Tuesday, January 07, 2014 - 08:51 am:

A lot of people restore '16s as '15s because they believe only '15 and older MODEL years are HCCA eligible. Not so. The HCCA recognizes as a horseless carriage any car BUILT before the end of 1915, even if it's the newer model year. The HCCA roster, which lists only cars BUILT before 12/31/15, lists 39 1916 Fords. So, Wilber, not only did you do right, but you lost nothing by doing so if you want to go on HCCA national tours.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alex Dragone on Tuesday, January 07, 2014 - 10:00 am:

Can someone post pictures of a 15 tailight/marker plate bracket so we can see the difference between the 15 and later brackets?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Milton,WA on Tuesday, January 07, 2014 - 10:25 am:

'15 tail lamp bracket is 2 pc. - the license plate holder is separate with a stud that bolts together with the body bracket/lamp holder. '16 is also a 2pc. BUT the separate license plate holder is now riveted to the body bracket/lamp holder - photos to come later of both.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Tuesday, January 07, 2014 - 10:30 am:

Wilber, the aluminum hogshead is likely just what your car had from start. Even if it was decided to change to cast iron at Oct. 5 1915, actual change took time and some cars left Ford with aluminum hogsheads as late as february 1916.
http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/257047/302663.html?1343457957

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wilber Elliott on Tuesday, January 07, 2014 - 12:05 pm:

Yes, I also believe my early '16 came from the factory with the aluminum hogs head. The fellow I bought the car from told me that when he bought it from a college roommate in 1957, the car was almost all original. The roommate had bought the car in the spring of '57 from the nephew of the original owner. After he bought the car from his roommate, he put new tires and a top on and his grandfather installed an interior for him. He drove the car for fun and in parades until the early '70's then put the car on blocks in his sisters barn in northern Ohio and left it for 40+ years. The car even had it's original engine pans and has an early Brassco magneto brass horn.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Milton,WA on Tuesday, January 07, 2014 - 02:08 pm:

1915 2 piece (touring) bolted and 1916 2 piece (runabout) riveted.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alex Dragone on Tuesday, January 07, 2014 - 09:23 pm:

Steve, Thanks a lot for the photos. Thats interesting.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Tuesday, January 07, 2014 - 10:17 pm:

Alex -- Those brackets posted by Steve are for '15 and '16 only. For the '17 model year, a new one-piece bracket was introduced which was carried through the later years. You can see that the Touring and Sedan version (like the '15 one in Steve's pics) mounted horizontally underneath the body, and the Runabout and Coupelet version (the '16) fitted onto the vertical back face of the body. The same was true of the later one-piece ones as well. As Mike B. mentioned, I have some extra '16 brackets. I think the one I sold him at Petit Jean last summer was the last '15 I had in stock.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Wednesday, January 08, 2014 - 01:01 am:

Steve, appreciate the details on the tail lamp bracket, as I have '16 made Dec 10, 1915.
The photos of the engine built 27 engines later (1,000,000) shows an aluminum hogs head, so figured that was correct for mine too.
Yes, we '16 owners get a little brass--the windshield glass channel, the pivot nuts, and the screws that hold the hinges to the frame--and I forget, a few other small locations too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Elliott on Thursday, January 09, 2014 - 06:15 am:

My early '16 (Nov. 22, 1915) had brass castle nuts holding the sidelamps in place as well as those others you mentioned, David. And don't forget the hubcaps!

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration