Dunn weights

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Dunn weights
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By joe bell on Saturday, January 04, 2014 - 05:38 pm:

Well after taking this engine apart a couple of times to get rid of the harmonic vibration, the last time I cut the weights off of the crank and had it rebalanced and the engine is now smooth. I do not know if original Dunn's weight would of been different than the repops but at least now I know about ever trying them on one. I am glad some one else had built this cause it would of been an angry customer if I had!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Saturday, January 04, 2014 - 05:51 pm:

If the counter weights were welded on, could the crank be a bit tweaked from the heat?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Saturday, January 04, 2014 - 08:38 pm:

I think it might ruin the crank? Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By joe bell on Saturday, January 04, 2014 - 08:47 pm:

I was not enjoying the ideal of welding on any forging when I saw this but what choice do you have now? If you want the counter balance shafts, you should buy them that way.Mark who ever had done this job ground the rod journals first then weld the weights on then had the mains ground? Bud I do not think it does it any good!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry Dvis on Tuesday, January 07, 2014 - 10:45 pm:

Joe, I bolted mine on some 20 plus years ago. Had the crank spun balanced. While it does run smoother it still shakes. I say don't burn them off but rather have the crank balanced and go from there. My opinion only....not that it was asked for but........

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Wednesday, January 08, 2014 - 07:01 am:

You have to balance the transmission too. Dunn weights are on the '14 - bolted on - and it is extremely smooth. Been on that engine for 35 years or more, no rebuilds since. Many tens of thousands of miles.

I don't think welding Dunn weights to the crank adds any benefits. Done right it might not harm anything but I don't see a reward for the risk involved.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By joe bell on Wednesday, January 08, 2014 - 05:35 pm:

Some one else had done this engine, it came to me because of a harmonic vibration, I tore it down and spun balanced the assembly, that helped but still there, tore it back down removed the weights and respun the assembly and now it is fine, I did pitch the ball bearing fourth main, china bearing and already growling.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Wednesday, January 08, 2014 - 06:25 pm:

Good on ya Joe!! Bud.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration